How is your NBC affiliate dealing with the loss of WX+?

rhombics447

The end of 2008 is upon us, and with that is the loss of WeatherPlus.

In Cleveland, today WKYC replaced their WX+ station with their own. It's only been a few hours since they switched from WX+ to "Channel 3 Weather," so they have only been using the familiar L-bar with their own national radar and looping part of the Gannett News Music Package. I'm sure they will eventually have cut-ins and more content.

How is your market's NBC station dealing with the loss? Are they ditching the digital weather channel, or are they launching their own (in order to remain competitive)?

wkycwxplus_before.jpg.f97c70aff62b2c48ee4e979f7dc87501.jpg

wkycwxplus_after.jpg.20cc1f980f6e3b27e51ed6c3161bc8bc.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder what the NBC O&O's will keep in its place? The reason I ask is because I just noticed that instead of showing the NBC weather+ logo, it shows the NBC peacock and the word plus next to it all in white. Wonder if it will be a channel with a mix of weather and news among other things. Here is what I am talking about...

Snapshot_20081230_1.jpg

1230h14m10ch42wtmjweathnq0.jpg

I'm hoping this is a quick fix, and that there will be additional changes soon.

Could be - WKYC had their own "quick fix" -- they removed their "3" logo that used to be next to "WeatherPlus" on the left-hand side a few weeks before they redesigned the channel.

I added some screenshots above.

Some O&Os, at least mine (WTVJ) and from what I've heard KXAS too - have changed only the branding. What used to be branded as "[station] Weather Plus" is now "NBC plus" with a white peacock logo next to the 'plus' text.

Edit: The image posted by CBS8HD didn't initially load so I had to explain it the long way. Anyway you get the idea now. Of course, no website branding for WTVJ.

What I'm thinking is that it would encourage those stations that don't have a "24 hour news" subchannel (like KNBC's 4.4 Raw) to have one.

In our local market (Tri-Cities,WA), KNDU has changed their Weather+ station to "Sports & Weather Right NOW" while the weather segments are still labeled as your "Weather + Forecast"

*On the S&WRN note, the look for that channel is really, short of a more polite word, crap and truly has to be temporary with how horrible it looks, seriously. I'm wondering though, what will truly become of all these extra channels being sent out?

WNYT in Albany calls it 'NC 13 now!', but it's just like weather plus to me. I think they should not only have weather, but other things like perhaps replay the evening news at 7pm; etc. And the daytime shows (Oprah, RR, etc) during the evening hours. I feel like having a 2nd channel is such a waste, if it is going to be just weather 24/7 when u can go online to get your local forecast. Just my opinion

KWWL dropped Storm Tracker 7 for Weather Plus. They dropped weather plus a while ago going back to Storm Track 7. Their weather center still has the weather plus boarders but with the Storm Track 7 logo. StormTrack 7 has also been put on all of the weather graphics.

Archived