Super Hi-Vision Television - To Likely Supercede HDTV?

Vlad

Well, not sure if this has been talked about here, but the BBC, NHK (Japan's Broadcasting System), and RAI (Italy's Television Broadcasting System) are experimenting on different ways to basically kick HDTV in the ass, lol. As if what we are watching now is not enough, they want to go even further.

What they are working on is something known as "Super Hi-Vision" which is essentially 16 times better than HDTV. This experimental video format has a native resolution of 7680 × 4320 pixels that is roughly about 33 Megapixels! Several times larger than the current highest standard, currently at 1920 x 1080 pixels. The frame rate is expected to be at 60 frames per second, slightly higher than 59.4 which is currently being used, along with a new audio system as well known as 22.2 . There will be a whopping 22 channels of hd surround sound as opposed to the current 5.1 or 7.1 Surround Sound system typically associated with the current standard.

Now here is the catch, video this size will be virtually impossible for broadcasters to use right now, due to the massive size of the video format itself, an uncompressed SHV video is 24 gigabytes per second. (24GBps) that is incredibly large, not to mention the amount of computer power this would require. An uncompressed 20 minute video would take about 3TB or 4TB of storage which is massive.

It is believed that SHV will be the norm or a common hype by the second half of the next decade, perhaps sometime in 2015 - 2020. Since WFAA-TV are the pioneers in HD broadcasting, producing its first broadcast in 1997, I'll keep my eye on them, over the next 10 years or so, lol.

Here is some more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Hi-Vision

http://www.nhk.or.jp/digital/en/superhivision/index.html

800px-UHDV.svg.png

(NOT DRAWN TO SCALE)

What do you guys think?

Just something which stations won't be able to afford, especially if they are spending millions now to go HD.

I am just waiting for the day when television is presented in 3D.

I hear that's not that far away.

• 2 months later...
I want Smell-O-Vision...

Well, the ability to smell the perfume of Liz Cho may not be too far away in the future neither... ;)

http://gadgets.softpedia.com/news/SMELLIT-Technology-Lets-You-Smell-What-039-s-on-TV-1310-01.html

If only they can find patents and investors, but the cost, I don't even want to think about that right now...

• 3 years later...

Archived