KNBC to have 60th anniversary special in January

Guest Former Member 207

Guest Former Member 207

I caught a promo last night during the Football Night pregame special, featuring Tom Brokaw, commerating Channel 4's 60th anniversary, which is coming up on January 16th. It looks like it will an one-hour special, airing at 7pm that night. In all of my years living in the Los Angeles area, except for a brief story on the history of Channel 4 News on the night of NBC's 75th anniversary special, I never remember KNBC celebrating any milestone anniversaries. I know WNBC made a big deal about their 60th anniversary in 2001, and KNSD with their 40th back in '05.

Three other station milestone anniversaries in L.A. coming in '09...KTTV turns 60 on New Year's Day, KABC also becomes 60 on September 16th, while KCET turns 45 twelve days later. I remember 7 and 11 doing promos and specials when each of them moved from their previous locations...KABC did a mini-tribute to ABC Television Center back in 2000, and KTTV aired a 30-minute special on Metromedia Square/Fox Television Center I in 1996.

Other LA stations that already had their 60th anniversaries are as follows: KTLA (Jan '07), KCBS (May '08), KCAL (Aug. '08), and KCOP (Sept. '08)

Incidentally, only KTLA had a celebration that lasted virtually the entire year in 2007, which included that 60 Hour Retro Marathon they had on Thanksgiving weekend. KCBS did have that one news story on the history of their newscast on the night of CBS' 75th Anniversary special in 2003, which was oddly enough around the time KCBS was celebrating their 70th. Go figure.

FINALLY! It's about time KNBC did something to commemorate their legacy, they're often very mute about their history in the southland. Hell I didn't even know about NewsCenter 4 and John Schubeck, Pat Sajak, Kelly Lange and others until the internet.

I would love to see KABC do a little something commemorating their proud history. I recall watching KGO's 40th anniversary on youtube and hearing from Roger Grimsby, Terry Lowry, and the like, but nothing from KABC. I'd love to see them talk about "Eyewitness News" "Vampira" "AM Los Angeles" "Eye on LA" Earle C Anthony and some of the kids show they did.

I know KCBS hasn't done much since the 80's and KTTV last aired a 30-minute tribute in 1999. KCOP did two hours in 1998. As for KCAL, well you will never hear them talk about the KHJ days, never, or RKO.

Way to go KNBC, it's about time we got to celebrate a little.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived