The New NBC 10 - Talkback

Jess

There are some HD screenshots available thanks to the HD geeks over at AVS Forum: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=15267243&postcount=768.

Set looks very nice. Weather graphics are HD, which is a step up from what KNTV has. But, like KNTV, the character generator is definitely stuck in standard definition.

One thing that I'm noticing is absent - the NBC 10 newsroom.

If you've ever seen an NBC 10 newscast, you know that they've always gone to the newsroom at least once or twice a show. This has been the case for years - even when they added standup areas you would see it quite often.

I haven't seen any newsroom since yesterday at 4. I don't know if it's due to the way the new set is setup, with a billion different areas to stand, or if they're refitting the newsroom in some way (at least putting an HD camera in there...)

Yes it looks nice, but HD isn't everything. Out of every video I saw they didn't have any sort of "news" content. They lead with rain... really rain? In market #4 there isn't a bigger story than some rain coming through? If they want to gain any viewers they need to invest in a little content as opposed to just looking pretty.

Yes it looks nice, but HD isn't everything. Out of every video I saw they didn't have any sort of "news" content. They lead with rain... really rain? In market #4 there isn't a bigger story than some rain coming through? If they want to gain any viewers they need to invest in a little content as opposed to just looking pretty.

They (and all the Philly locals) do that almost everyday by leading with weather. If it is cold the lead story is about the cold, if it is hot the lead story is about the heat etc.

They (and all the Philly locals) do that almost everyday by leading with weather. If it is cold the lead story is about the cold, if it is hot the lead story is about the heat etc.

Yeah the weather sells big in this market. Always has and always will.

They will lead with weather if it's warm and sunny.

Ever since 3 started selling its newscasts with "weather in the first segment", and 10 introduced flying weather graphics, it's just grown from there.

Philadelphia is the poster child for local news' "My Doppler Is Bigger Than Your Doppler" mentality.

For fans of the older theme...

...rejoice, it is being used for the Sunday morning public affairs show, "Live at Issue". The new graphics have been implemented there too (until now it was the only place on the station where you could see the 2000-era look...)

10 has been having some major issues with the new setup. Animations aren't running, the time and temp bug screws up frequently, and much of it is just generally screwed up.

I know 10 is on automation, but that happened a few months back, so I thought they fixed any issues.

And they're using the old theme as a bumper on the 11pm news...

Automation is *far* from perfect. It's good for some things, bad for others, but, sadly, it's the future for everything. Also, they got less than a week to rehearse with it on the new set.

KYW should be interesting to watch. They laid off a lot of good people this week and eliminated positions directly related to air product.

Quality product does not count for much anymore. Just fill the time slot.

WCAU is using Ross Automation for their newscasts.

WPVI is testing the audio portion of the Grass Valley Ignite on their noon show, but they expect to fully automate in their new building.

KYW and WTXF are not automated in the control rooms.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, overall I think its a great change for WCAU, Their set is much better looking than WNBC, and their music is also better than WNBC. If only they had WNBC's lower thirds, that would pretty much complete the package and give them an A, but the lower thirds are the only thing that they should improve and work on.

The lower third issue as was discussed earlier is due to the fact that their character generator (amongst other production equipment) is still SD and until they update that stuff you're going to get plain looking l3s and playback and field transmission in 4:3.

Archived