The New NBC 10 - Talkback

Jess

The long-awaited new look for 10 debuts at 4pm today. There will be a new set, there will be new graphics, and a new "attitude" as the promos put it.

As the old thread is like 10 pages long, I figured it's easier to do something new for the actual debut today...

So, a question before all this starts; but where did NBC get all this money to build this magnificent set (I'll edit the word magnificent out if it sucks later)? Did they go through lay-offs recently? Will there be some during the holidays? Or do they run a pretty lean operation already?

So' date=' a question before all this starts; but where did NBC get all this money to build this magnificent set (I'll edit the word magnificent out if it sucks later)? Did they go through lay-offs recently? Will there be some during the holidays? Or do they run a pretty lean operation already?[/quote']

Who the hell knows. I do know that they had the money budgeted for their top 4 O&Os to be madeover for a while now though. I was told that that was their priority since about '06 but their budget woes slowed everything down that they had to do each station one at a time. As for the other 6 stations, who knows what's in store for them in the long term.

10 has run a fairly lean operation for some time now - since the Novocom days at least. All That and More was born out of budget cuts and they let a few reporters go earlier this year. Dropping Vince DeMentri's salary probably also helped.

Also, while what we're getting looks impressive, by all accounts it's comparatively cost-effective. The set design comes from the people who worked on the MSNBC/Nightly News set. The graphics are in-house at NBC and are based on the ones that NBC is standardizing around, so that saves some money as well. If promos are to be believed, they're simply going to keep the current music package.

double-posting, but I wanted to make some predictions... let's see how well I do.

--The set looks clean, modern, and uncluttered.

--The set will be able to change color like the MSNBC set and the old Weather Center.

--Speaking of weather center I will be surprised if that's not half the set right there.

--Anchors will be doing a LOT more standing than they did on the old set... in fact they'll stand more than they sit ala WNYW.

--The current theme will be kept.

--All That and More will be kept with a very minimal refresh to the graphics.

--Weather graphics finally get modernized. The EarthWatch name is kept but Weather Channel branding might seep into the set or graphics.

--The news graphics are more heavily customized than some of the other O&O stations that have gotten Look C.

--Some element of the look, in some way, will still cling to the Eurostile font.

Whoa.

They just did a tease from the new set. It looks beautiful.

The weather center is the old one... redressed slightly. Not sure how I feel, but it does fit in with the rest of the set now.

NEW MUSIC!!!! NBC Collection from Gari - the good one that KXAS and KNSD are using. Not sure if they customized it with 10's signature or not.

EDIT 4:08:

Music is what KXAS and KNSD are using exactly... so the NBC 10 signature goes bye bye after over a decade.

I think the lower thirds are still coming from an SD character generator. No rippling peacock - they took the design from the WRC version. Time and temp is almost certainly HD.

Weather graphics have been completely redone for the first time since... well, hell, 1999. They're not as smooth as WPVI and WTXF but unlike KYW they are fully HD, not upconverted.

The main set is very much in line with what MSNBC and Network are using.

Going to break... this theme is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

Looks awesome. Graphics are sweet. Set rocks, yet I do agree that it does look a bit gray.

Only thing is that I think we are decieved by NBC10 think that they were keeping the theme. I do like the new theme, BUT I will miss the NBC10 score. Oh well. Out with the old, in with the new.

Congrats to NBC10.

-- Matt

I have an inkling that they were going to try to keep the theme, but at the last minute someone decided to change it. The "going HD" montage has the new open synced up to the old theme.

To everyone complaining about the grey... the set lighting changes depending on the time of day. All of the grey parts of the set were a darker blue on the 6pm. Apparently the entire set will take on a yellow tone for mornings.

They're airing a story about them being in HD...

...in SD.

Field footage and Packs are still in SD.

Unless they drove the media back to the station, this is normal. No one in Philadelphia is beaming back HD content from the field; Microwave shots are 16x9 SD.

I liked the new format at 'CAU, but there's one thing they should have on the L3s, the "rippling feather" on the left side, otherwise, the open got a custom feel like KSND 7/39 (with the palm trees behind the logo) while 'CAU's got the our city's skyline in the background behind the logo.

Channel 10, welcome back to the flow of High Def newscasting.

Unless they drove the media back to the station' date=' this is normal.[/quote']

The cameras never left the building.

I like the set alot - it's very very different from anything in Philadelphia. Should be interesting to see how 'CAU develops it and how they continue to utilize certain parts.

They're airing a story about them being in HD...

...in SD.

Field footage and Packs are still in SD.

WCAU is accustomed to doing things half-assed. That attitude isn't going to change overnight.

Why would you expect a package about HD to be shot/edited in HD? Because you're logical. However, the folks at NBC10 aren't. They spend the whole day touting the 'crystal clear' HD aspect and deliver 70% of the show content in 4:3 muck.

Current analong microwave equipment limits field transmission to SD resolution, but it does't limit the aspect ratio to 4:3. Some live shots were 16:9, others 4:3. From what I saw, all the taped packages were 4:3. Either they haven't received the full shipment of new cameras, or they have no way of editing HD content.

While the new look/format has a lot of potential, it falls short. Alas, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

This is NBC we're talking about. It's quite likely they don't have anything ready for HD playback. They don't have an HD character generator set up either.

Let's see how a "normal" newscast looks. I also want to see if they kept the ubiquitous breaking news sting.

Archived