WKRP in Cincinnati- really!

RGSJenkins

WBQC-LP, an independent channel 38 in Cincinnati changed its call letters to that famous show call letters, WKRP-CA.

CINCINNATI – WKRP is back on the air in Cincinnati — but this time it's for real.

A low-power TV station has changed its call letters to WKRP, the same as the fictional radio station in the 1970s hit series "WKRP in Cincinnati."

The station changed its call letters to promote its new digital TV signal. It formerly went by WBQC-TV.

General Manager Elliott Block says the new call letters give the station recognition because so many people remember the television sit-com.

Their website is www.wkrp.tv and here's their logo.

Ummm.... For the record, their call letters (WBQC-CA) have not changed, according to their FCC Listings. They're branding is WKRP-TV.

I may be way off base, but is it not illegal to "brand" under one set of call letters, especially using an official suffix like "-TV", despite having been assigned your own?

If you look at the trouble an LPTV station could get into for IDing as -TV, you have to question the legality of branding under whatever the hell call letters you want. Especially when these are already assigned elsewhere.

I may be way off base, but is it not illegal to "brand" under one set of call letters, especially using an official suffix like "-TV", despite having been assigned your own?

If you look at the trouble an LPTV station could get into for IDing as -TV, you have to question the legality of branding under whatever the hell call letters you want. Especially when these are already assigned elsewhere.

Plus WKRP-LP is already registered.

I know WWME-CA on their IDs every half-hour it has the "Me-TV" logo and "WWME-TV" in big letters below the logo. But it has the "WWME-CA Chicago - WWME-LD Chicago - WCIU-TV Chicago" call letter ID slate on the bottom of the screen. They do the same for their sister-station WMEU-CA having their "MeToo" logo and WMEU-TV below it and their full calls "WMEU-CA Chicago - WCIU-TV Chicago".

Here's one example, K38II FOX 38 in Columbia, MO use the ficticious call of "KQFX". So I don't think it's illegal to use ficticious call, as long as they continue to air their rightfully call letters on their IDs every hour on the hour.

I know WWME-CA on their IDs every half-hour it has the "Me-TV" logo and "WWME-TV" in big letters below the logo. But it has the "WWME-CA Chicago - WWME-LD Chicago - WCIU-TV Chicago" call letter ID slate on the bottom of the screen. They do the same for their sister-station WMEU-CA having their "MeToo" logo and WMEU-TV below it and their full calls "WMEU-CA Chicago - WCIU-TV Chicago".

Here's one example, K38II FOX 38 in Columbia, MO use the ficticious call of "KQFX". So I don't think it's illegal to use ficticious call, as long as they continue to air their rightfully call letters on their IDs every hour on the hour.

I think KQFX or "KQFX FOX 38" is OK, but I don't believe, for example, KQFX-TV would be. I seem to remember W28AS (now WVTX-CA) in WVa catching a serious fine for referring to themselves as "WVTX-TV".

I am just putting it out there, in any event.

Archived