News Themes that are TRULY SYMPHONIC

newswatch

Some packages these days can be synth but sound scary close to the real thing. I think you should include those.

But not until you include KUSA's themes. THOSE are the definition of symphonic.

Here's a live version of The Mission performed by the Boston Pops, the video is shaky though.

[yt]yMAG1LBKoIM[/yt]

Here's a remixed version of The Mission for Channel 7 in Australia, I'm not sure if it was synthesized or live.

[yt]VUqZVVkjmSE[/yt]

Edit: This is a video of when The Mission was rerecorded in 2004 to coincide with Brian Williams taking over the anchor seat of Nightly News.

[yt]FwBImLdP4ZQ[/yt]

• 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the package formerly known as NBC LA Groove that was performed by the Prague Symphony Orchestra.

Seriously? The same Orchestra that recorded Strive recorded KNBC News?! Wow.

Seriously? The same Orchestra that recorded Strive recorded KNBC News?! Wow.

Yes. Because it's cheap.

The 2007 package has some synth elements in it, but many of the main themes are real orchestra. That open is a thing of beauty - I love the cut more and more each time I hear it. (The fact that WCAU has enough sense to play it at the right pitch helps.)

I think Great News Package's main theme should count here, and I'm pretty sure it's Gari's best damn theme ever.

I think that the main theme of Decade 90 (KCAL's first Disney-era package) has a combo of synth and an orchestra (though the orchestra is more dominant). And on another note, why does WNBC pitch LA Groove up anyway?

I think that the main theme of Decade 90 (KCAL's first Disney-era package) has a combo of synth and an orchestra (though the orchestra is more dominant). And on another note, why does WNBC pitch LA Groove up anyway?

They pitch it down a whole step. KNTV does too, but at least the bring the bumper down in pitch, too.

I dunno I guess they think it sounds better or they just want to be different. WCAU repitches a few cuts from this package but only to add some variation to what they use although they already use a ton of cuts as it is.

They use the "Exclusive" cuts a LOT. That's their main bumper music, and they use one of the cuts for their Investigator stingers. (The "Investigative" bumper on their website is actually what they now use for Breaking News.)

I don't think NBC Groove (I'll just go and call it that) has the variety that the 360 package did, but WCAU sure is making the most of it. I think the switch was a good idea and it makes them sonically unique amongst the stations in the market.

Now that several NBC O&O's are using LA Groove, I wonder if they plan on doing an update to the package. Wasn't the last major update back in 2006? I wouldn't mind hearing some new stuff.

Now that several NBC O&O's are using LA Groove, I wonder if they plan on doing an update to the package. Wasn't the last major update back in 2006? I wouldn't mind hearing some new stuff.

There was an updated close in 2012 and WNBC recently got updated Topical and Special Report music.

KRON did 2 packages w/ the help of the San Francisco Symphony.

1987-1989 & 1989-1993.

For that matter their 1995-2002 (which is also the current package) is symphonic, though more jazz like in its limited range of instruments.

And most of News Series 2000+ (the Cool Hand Luke update from 1984) is symphonic.

KRON did 2 packages w/ the help of the San Francisco Symphony.

1987-1989 & 1989-1993.

For that matter their 1995-2002 (which is also the current package) is symphonic, though more jazz like in its limited range of instruments.

And most of News Series 2000+ (the Cool Hand Luke update from 1984) is symphonic.

So the 1987 package does have a symphony connection!

Archived