Live, from the National Weather Association in Louisville, KY

WXmanTim

After my internship this summer, I was invited by the meteorologist I worked under, Jeff Ray (WKRN-Nashville) to help present at the National Weather Association Annual Meeting, now being held in Louisville, KY.

The broadcaster's workshop was yesterday and I was blessed hobknob with some great on-air and operational meterologists.

So far, I've met Betsy Kling (WKYC) who has an amazing personality and lights up the room. Tracy Butler (WLS) who I met only just briefly, Brian Kerrick (KCCI-Des Moines, and broadcast programming chair), Leland Statom and Charlie Neese (WTVF), Kristen Emery (WTVG) who has a great personality and spent a good couple hours visiting with me Saturday evening.

Other's I've met: Jim Razor (WSIL), T.G. Shuck (WKYT), Joe Rao (News 12 Westchester), Mike Goldberg (formerly of WTVR-Richmond and Broadcast Meteo. Committe Chair), Jim Rice (formerly of KOB-Albuquerque and Seal Committee Chair) among many many others.

Tom Skilling of WGN gave the keynote address this morning and I hope to be able to meet him at some point during the rest of the conference.

I'll keet you updated!

I had the opportunity today to sit in on a one-on-one student broadcast meteorology workshop, to get feedback on what I am doing well and what needs to be improved.

Got some great advice from Larry Rice (ex-KOB), Dave Freeman (KSN), Mike Goldberg (ex-WTVR), Bryan Kerrick (KCCI) and Nick Walker (The Weather Channel).

Great folks who took time out of their schedule to sit with a group of students, watch our tapes and give us feedback.

Later, the NWA rented the "Belle of Louisville" paddleboat for a river tour and dinner along the Ohio. I spent time visiting with Bob Becker (WATE), Kristin Emery (WTVG), Francene (first name only, WHAS-Radio), John Patrick (WZVN) and some others.

It's been a blast so far. Fairly dry subject matter during today's session, so the group of us from MS State drove down to the Heaven Hill refinery and took the Bourbon heritage tour.

I hear the fairly dry subject matter will be heading out of there this evening and a system with some more exciting content will be blowing in from the southwest.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

You're modelling is a little off, the dry subject matter is forecast to eject out of the midwest sometime tomorrow...

but its being replaced with pet dog training, so...i guess that's more exciting content?

Congrats to KSN-Network's Dave Freeman for winning "Broadcaster of the Year" honors for his coverage of the May 4, 2006 Greensburg, KS tornado.

Archived