John Decepolo out at Fox 5

NYnewsFan

Todays Daily News reports that Fox 5 sportscaster John Decepolo's contract was not renewed. His last day was Tuesday. More talent changes are expected at WNYW.

The article also mentions that Penny Crone was let go from Howard 100 News on Sirius radio due to budget cuts. Interesting after Howard just got a major bonus. Perhaps 2007 will finally be the year that Sirius and XM merge.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/ent_radio/story/489257p-412048c.html

It just makes no sense. Unless they are planning on bringing in Warner Wolf, I just can't imagine how they think they can do better in this market. Not only was John knowledgeable and talented, he is damn good looking too. Someone will snap him right up.

1) I feel bad for Penny. Everyone keeps letting her go.

2) I love how Sirius gave Howard a huge bonus, when you look at their stock, and it's worth nothing. XM is worth 5 times as much. Sirius will never survive. Sirius has no sense of what money is. OBVIOUSLY, Howard isn't doing anything for them, but they think he needs another few million bucks his way.

3) I hope to god Sirius and XM never merge. I subscribe to XM now. If they were to try to get Sirius under their sleeve, they would inherit nothing but debt. Odds are this COULD never happen (thank god!) due to the mediocre, but overall efficient monopolization laws in this country.

Now, moving past my satellite radio anger:

I didn't dislike Discepelo, but I never really go to like him. I don't think he will go to WCBS, but it is a possibly.

I hope WCBS has reconsidered Warner Wolf again in their sports anchor search.

Well I would not want Discepelo to go to CBS2. Just spare him the embarrassment and learn the experiences from Roz Abrams, Jim Ryan etc. Yes I feel extremely bad for Penny Crone she was first at FOX 5 she decided to leave for CBS2 then she was let go back to FOX5 then she was let go. She went to Sirius then she was let go I wonder if thats the ending of her career. Wow the news business sure knows to play God out of people's lives.

Yeah, John is really good and it makes no sense for them to let him go. And your right, letting him go to CBS2...let him spare the embarassment (great choice of words). I don't even know why Jim Ryan even thought about going to WCBS-TV, if he wanted to continue in the morning news, you might as well just stay at WNYW because I believe it was his choice to leave. Roz...Roz...Roz...that's another one, but we won't get into that right now. John is like everyone is saying VERY TALENTED and really was the FACE OF SPORTS @ WNYW.

I think he should just find a job at ESPN if there are any openings he could apply for. IF he was to stay with local news, which station would you think he would fit into?

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

John is actually my first cousin and he has applied to ESPN and in fact has had 2 interviews. He's a great kid and I hope this all works out for him. I'd love for him to come home to Boston though. I don't get to see him nearly as much as I used to...Nick

Archived