New WZZM Graphics

Ntropolis

Not impressed...I guess firing the support artists across the group wasn't such a good idea.

You can never replace the human touch when it comes to design. I wonder how much they "saved" by filling Chyron's pockets with money instead of some poor college kids. Whoever arranged this probably got a big kickback.

These graphics are not well done. Overcrowded, noisy, tasteless...my eyes don't know what to look at..Don't even get me started about the open.

Horrible...thumbs down Gannett

First, What's wrong with BBC News' graphics?

There's nothing wrong with the BBC News' VizRT graphics. It would have helped if they were going to rip off Lambie-Nairn's work, they could have done a better job...This is horrid looking...It looks like they let somebody loose in the effects toolbox, they said: "I've go to use all of these effects! They're so neat!"

Result: Overly shiny, overly, exposed graphics...

What a awful open. It's the same thing from two different angles. Way to go whoever made this!

And the graphics look like a cheap knock off of WNBC.

I see no connection to the community in these grfx, no connection to the station (aside from the logo)... this is sad very sad.... And the music.... the worst ive ever heard.

Ewwwww. Just... ewwwww.

who cares? they identify the station, the music covers up silence, and the supers have words on them. i don't know what makes you "professionals" in television design. most, if not all of you, don't even fucking live in grand rapids, so it really means nothing to you!

chris, once you start working in television, you will realize how unimportant things like that really are. no one notices them once you're in a show. people don't watch the news for graphics, they watch it for content. the people who watch news opens all day on youtube don't realize that. Imagine being the person who designed the graphics, had them approved by the station, seeing what some fan boys on a tv forum thought about them. I bet they could care less, and the station probably could too. btw, i work in creative services along with my production work. plus, i never said i was qualified, honey, and i never said a word on what i thought about the graphics.

its better to work in a small market then to fantasize about working in any market. we're 151, by the way.

we're 151, by the way.

Haha.. I love this site.. and the douchebags that bring it to life.

Also - is it just me, or does all Pyburn stuff look the same? Weird glassy effect.. Rectangle L3 with dead space on the left side? In terms of originality, this is worse than Giant Octopus.

It doesn't look like a ripoff of WNBC's graphics.

It looks like a ripoff of CNBC's graphics.

Gannett markets who are about to get this, I feel your pain. This kind of sloppy graphical work is what we Philadelphians have had to endure for five years now...

It doesn't look like a ripoff of WNBC's graphics.

It looks like a ripoff of CNBC's graphics.

Gannett markets who are about to get this, I feel your pain. This kind of sloppy graphical work is what we Philadelphians have had to endure for five years now...

If you change the colors and replace the circles with peacock feathers, yeah it is WNBC's graphics in some variation.

There's some stuff from both, but I think the WNBC package was more based on light effects. The CNBC package was based on extremely heavy use of chrome, which is carried over here. I think once we see the blue version then the similarity will become more prominent.

Still doesn't change the fact that this is overall a very weak package.

I honestly don't think this would look terrible in blue.

WZZM's previous graphics were red, so it makes sense in that regard to do a Hue change to red, if indeed the original Pyburns were made in blue.

So, maybe there's hope for stations like KPNX and KARE. W*USA? WXIA? Ehhhh. (And I'm almost positive WCSH/WLBZ will resist this change for as long as they can.)

-T

I (And I'm almost positive WCSH/WLBZ will resist this change for as long as they can.)

-T

I was hoping for the same with WTSP, especially since they just switched to the Giant Octopus graphics, but it doesn't look promising.

I'm kinda disappointed, and I'll throw in my dislike for the music at no extra charge.

chris, once you start working in television, you will realize how unimportant things like that really are. no one notices them once you're in a show. people don't watch the news for graphics, they watch it for content. the people who watch news opens all day on youtube don't realize that. Imagine being the person who designed the graphics, had them approved by the station, seeing what some fan boys on a tv forum thought about them. I bet they could care less, and the station probably could too. btw, i work in creative services along with my production work. plus, i never said i was qualified, honey, and i never said a word on what i thought about the graphics.

its better to work in a small market then to fantasize about working in any market. we're 151, by the way.

If graphics do not matter, tell me why WBBM just shelled out nearly half a million dollars for theirs?

This was the opinion of staffers at a station I interned at. (I'm not naming the station.) They felt that people didn't pay attention to the graphics and they really did not matter if they were good or not. The resulting on-air look showed.

My belief is that while we represent the obsessives, on-air presentation is more important than a lot of people think. A good set of graphics enables the broadcast to look professional; a good piece of music can become one of the most crucial "branding" elements of the station.

Archived