Behind the News w\ Bill Ritter E-Mail

jbjimbo

It'll be interesting -

Starting in 2009, ABC7 will technically no longer "exist" the government will "repossess" the VHF signals that broadcast stations currently use, and digital TV will be the only form of transmission in the USA.

While cable and sattelite companies will continue to place WABC-TV on channel 7 across their systems (along with WNBC at 4, WCBS at 2, etc) if you use a digital signal receiver, WABC will be received on channel 45.

There's still no decision as to what the station moniker will be once this change takes place. While it won't be "Channel 45, Eyewitness News" - it might become WABC Eyewitness News, or Eyewitness News New York, etc.. time will tell.

It'll be interesting -

Starting in 2009, ABC7 will technically no longer "exist" the government will "repossess" the VHF signals that broadcast stations currently use, and digital TV will be the only form of transmission in the USA.

While cable and sattelite companies will continue to place WABC-TV on channel 7 across their systems (along with WNBC at 4, WCBS at 2, etc) if you use a digital signal receiver, WABC will be received on channel 45.

There's still no decision as to what the station moniker will be once this change takes place. While it won't be "Channel 45, Eyewitness News" - it might become WABC Eyewitness News, or Eyewitness News New York, etc.. time will tell.

Yes, i heard about this repossessing of the signals. Its going to be wierd since we're so accustomed to channel 7 as WABC, channel 4 as WNBC, etc...

Alright I understand what your saying but why cant they stay 7. With the digital, will no two stations in the country have the same number? Why cant they just take the VHF licencing info and carry it over to digital?

It'll be interesting -

I wouldn't worry about it. Its been postponed at least twice that I remember.....

Everyone in this thread is wrong about DT......while it'll be on 45, DT viewers will see it as 7-1, thanks to PSIP virtual channel technology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_channel

So there will not be CBS56, NBC28, FOX44, etc.

::)

Actually - you're wrong.

I already stated that, if ya take a look back at my original post. It'll be broadcast on channel 45. I said that cable/satellite providers will keep it on channel 7.

PSIP placing technology is something that cable and satellite operators have control of. Your average viewer at home does not. If someone still doesn't have cable or satellite after DT is standard, they will infact have to tune to channel 45 to get ABC.

Actually - you're wrong.

I already stated that, if ya take a look back at my original post. It'll be broadcast on channel 45. I said that cable/satellite providers will keep it on channel 7.

PSIP placing technology is something that cable and satellite operators have control of. Your average viewer at home does not. If someone still doesn't have cable or satellite after DT is standard, they will infact have to tune to channel 45 to get ABC.

Well, you're still mostly wrong. The signal will be broadcast on UHF channel 45, yes, but digital OTA tuners will see WABC-DT as "7-1" (thanks to the magic of PSIP "virtual channel numbers" which cfif referred to in his reply) just as these tuners do today.

Actually - you're wrong.

Well, you're still mostly wrong. The signal will be broadcast on UHF channel 45, yes, but digital OTA tuners will see WABC-DT as "7-1" (thanks to the magic of PSIP "virtual channel numbers" which cfif referred to in his reply) just as these tuners do today.

DING DING DING DING DING!

Exactly what I was saying, thanks for explaining, because apparently I didn't explain it well enough to the target audience.

Exactly... my HDTV has WABC-HD on 7.1 (in parenthesis it says 45, but you enter 7.1 on the remote to watch it).

Current HDTV's don't require the digital channel (ex:45) entered. Only the HD subchannel location (ex: 7.1) is needed. Subchnnel 7.2 is WABC+ and subchannel 7.3 is Eyewitness News Now.

Archived