NFL on NFL Network...FINALLY!

KKyuubi

I was going to post this last week on Black Friday...but then since the forums were down

Last night, NFL Network aired their first produced game as a part of a new package that would air Thursday night games (and even Saturday night) games soon. Although I did hear complaints about the quality of the actual coverage (and picture quality), the graphics were quite excellent!

They had a neat red and grey look going on with some pretty noticable graphic effects (like little orange flares), but the scoreboard was quite interesting! Most of the time, it's stretched across the top like Fox's board, but during some times (such as kickoffs and field goals), it shortens and moves to the center!

But still, the visual presentation was nice...but the commentators and video quality were H.O.R.R.I.B.L.E! But, I don't have HD either, but those quality comments came from other people.

Update on November 30th:

The quality is a bit better tonight on the game in progress, and I think they kinda slimmed down the scorebar a little. But still, I think that Fox and CBS have done a much better job than NFL Network.

Think some people could post some (HD) caps of the game so we can all see?

I didn't watch last night's game, but I did watch the Thanksgiving game, and I found their graphics to be on the blurry side. I don't know if it's because I don't have an HD TV or because of something with my satellite signal, but they didn't look very crisp at all to me. The other network's graphics look *much* better. Another thing I observed is that Bryant Gumbel just doesn't seem right for play-by-play. I don't really have a problem with Cris Collinsworth, though.

I watched the Thanksgiving night game on INHD2 (Cox San Diego puts the NFL Network HD stuff on INHD2 rather than giving it its own channel) and I too wasn't impressed with the HD quality. It wasn't as bad as the screenshots on here, but it wasn't as good as the NFL on Fox's HD quality. NFL Network's coverage suffered from bad macroblocking especially in the first half. Part of the macroblocking problem is because they're broadcasting in 1080i like NBC and CBS, which is more susceptible to macroblocking than the 720p format that ESPN HD and Fox broadcast in. The picture quality seemed to get better as the game went on, but overall, it wasn't great HD.

The graphics are OK, but honestly, Bryant Gumbel brings the whole thing down for me. Why couldn't the NFL have hired someone like Gary Thorne or Brad Nessler or Mike Patrick to do the play-by-play? (Yes, I was one of the few people who enjoyed hearing Mike Patrick call ESPN's Sunday night games.) Seriously, the whole Bryant thing needs to be rethought for next season. I'm OK with Cris Collinsworth, though I'm getting tired of seeing him on Football Night in America, HBO's Inside the NFL, and Thursday/Saturday Night Football.

But I'll take mediocre HD over 4:3 SD anyday.

I didn't watch last night's game, but I did watch the Thanksgiving game, and I found their graphics to be on the blurry side. I don't know if it's because I don't have an HD TV or because of something with my satellite signal, but they didn't look very crisp at all to me. The other network's graphics look *much* better. Another thing I observed is that Bryant Gumbel just doesn't seem right for play-by-play. I don't really have a problem with Cris Collinsworth, though.

No, he isn't.

PLAY-BY-PLAY RULE #1:

You don't want a guy doing play-by-play that sounds like a whinier version of Kermit the Frog. I'd prefer his brother, Greg (and I don't really like him in the booth, either).

Collinsworth may be getting overworked, but I'd use him in the preseason as a test PBP in case they can't find a good one. (Mike Patrick, I think, has had some health issues recently). Or, maybe they could dump Gumbel and use Pat Summerall as a stand-in.

Mike Patrick had heart surgery in the beginning of the 2004 season, and Pat Summerall filled in for him on the ESPN preseason telecasts and a few Sunday night games early on. This year, he's doing the Saturday night primetime college football game on ESPN, and he just did ESPN on ABC's coverage of the Big XII Championship. So I'd say he's in good shape.

EDIT: Cris Collinsworth was originally supposed to be the play-by-play commentator for the NFL Network games. After having him call a few "test games" in the preseason, the network decided he was a better fit as a color commentator, and they hired Bryant Gumbel as PBP instead. So, Cris's play-by-play must have really sucked if they replaced him with Gumbel. Greg ("50!" "40!" "30!" "20!" "10!") Gumbel isn't really any improvement, except he doesn't have Bryant's whiny voice.

Mike Patrick had heart surgery in the beginning of the 2004 season, and Pat Summerall filled in for him on the ESPN preseason telecasts and a few Sunday night games early on. This year, he's doing the Saturday night primetime college football game on ESPN, and he just did ESPN on ABC's coverage of the Big XII Championship. So I'd say he's in good shape.

EDIT: Cris Collinsworth was originally supposed to be the play-by-play commentator for the NFL Network games. After having him call a few "test games" in the preseason, the network decided he was a better fit as a color commentator, and they hired Bryant Gumbel as PBP instead. So, Cris's play-by-play must have really sucked if they replaced him with Gumbel. Greg ("50!" "40!" "30!" "20!" "10!") Gumbel isn't really any improvement, except he doesn't have Bryant's whiny voice.

I think Collinsworth was supposed to be the play-by-play for NBC before Al Michaels became available and got traded by Disney/ABC for some cartoon predecessor to Mickey Mouse.

I may start another topic on possible replacements for Bryant Gumbel.

I think Collinsworth was supposed to be the play-by-play for NBC before Al Michaels became available and got traded by Disney/ABC for some cartoon predecessor to Mickey Mouse.

I may start another topic on possible replacements for Bryant Gumbel.

I remember the name now. This obscurity was called Oswald the Lucky Rabbit. (No wonder no one alive had heard of this guy before that trade).

The logo is too obvious an NBC knockoff.

Archived