Stephen Arnold Music - Reply to Increases

Recently, some people have speculated that Stephen Arnold Music has increased our licensing fees to TV stations - and substantially at that.

Stephen Arnold Music has not increased anything. None of the increase is even earmarked for payment to us.

We regret the problems that TMLC - SESAC licensing fee arbitration has caused, including the retroactive clause. Very much. What a giant hassle.

The television industry's Television Music Licensing Committee (TLMC) allocated licensing fees in such a way that some of our clients took a big hit. While we are a member of SESAC, one of the three performing rights organizations along with ASCAP and BMI), the increases and allocations are beyond our control and our bank accounts.

In fact, we lost clients on 12/31/06 we have valued since 1986 (hopefully temporarily).

To those TV stations able to stay with their Sonic Branding theme, our thank you is from the heart.

To those of you who didn't stay with your Sonic Branding theme in January, we promise to win back your business the same way we got it -- by earning it.

Nielson studies have shown our Sonic Branding packages to increase news ratings on average 14%!*. Stephen, along with many other composers, testified during TMLC - SESAC arbitration about the value of branded music for TV news. But to reiterate, we have been hurt not helped.

Please let anyone at Stephen Arnold Music know how we can help.

And please be looking for big announcements from Stephen Arnold in the coming days.

Sincerely,

Stephen Arnold

Joe Falkner

Chad Cook

* http://www.musicandratings.com/

WOW! Let me be the first to welcome you to our site. What an honor it is to have one of the biggest names in news music to be a part of our little corner of cyberspace...I wish under better circumstances, of course.

If I may, let me pass along a word of encouragement: I for one have enjoyed your work for many years. From Evolution, to FOX Fusion, to Extreme, Uphonix, and NBC The Rock, the quality of your work has shown through. Stations who might come across this message, I urge you: as soon as the issues with SESAC are worked out, please come back to Stephen Arnold Group for your music needs. They are good people who produce quality music.

Don't give up, Mr. Arnold. We're pulling for you. ;)

Thank you ;D

It was indeed Chad Cook who posted the message so it is genuine.

first on fox is correct, as Chad and I have been in contact regarding this situation.

On an aside, one of the reasons I began the NMSA was to clear up as many inconsistencies as possible regarding packages' names, usages, etc.

- Despite being an NBC package, the package is marketed simply as "The Rock."

- While being geared for FOX stations, the package is marketed as "Fusion" and not "FOX Fusion."

- We all know residents of Texas think that all the other 49 states look backwards, but the package is marketed as "The Spirit" and not "The Spirit of Texas."

Finally, the new name "360" has been assigned to the KLAS package. If they decide to market it as "Three-60" or "3-6-T" or "3-sixty" or "360 of Texas," I'll let you know.

You may know the answer to this, but how is SA going to deal with this outrageous SESAC rate hike?

I don't know. I'm pretty sure that's a business decision they've been planning for as well as something they would probably keep quiet until implementing their strategy. Maybe that "big announcement" in coming days will come sooner than later. We'll all have to stay tuned.

Archived