New CBS 2 HD Promo's

NBC 5 Chicago

It looked good. Love the graphics they are even better than WBZ's (WBZ's is ok but I don't love them), pretty good open not as good is WCBS's, Hate the set the front looks weird and the background looks like the old one WCBS used to use. Music is odd, in the open its ok, otherwise I didn't like it too much.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The whole thing just looks great! Good job Joe Ahern!! Before this, I've always thought that CBS 2 had the blandest graphics and a not-so great looking desk (reminiscent to KDKA), but now I think that everything looks good!

I especially like the two desks with one overlooking the plaza and the other main desk.

As for the glitches, I thought they were pretty minor and that's what comes with moving into a new building. Atleast they weren't as bad as WPXI.

I think the music has potential...I just don't like the signature part. The graphics are great, the desk is nice, but the backdrop could be better. It looks better with the streetside view.

I hate how there's no over-the-shoulders - did u guys realize that too? - notta one last night at 10. OTS's are perhaps my favorite graphic element of a newscast' date=' I can't imagine they would think using only constant L3's is the only way to go.[/quote']

If they're not using OTS graphics, then that could be a sign that they made more cuts in the graphics department. And the use of the lower-thirds reminds me of the cable networks where they become an almost permanent element on the screen.

If they're not using OTS graphics, then that could be a sign that they made more cuts in the graphics department. And the use of the lower-thirds reminds me of the cable networks where they become an almost permanent element on the screen.

They are using OTS graphics. They were using them throughout the morning news this morning and on other newscasts today. I've seen the OTS used a couple times just now on the 6PM newscast.

The more I think of it, some of the graphics do remind me of CBS 2's 2000-2001 (pre-Works For You) graphics.

--------------------

As for the music, it was made clear that Gari's Enforcer is no more for the newscast theme. The station still retains the rights to the package in Chicago and will use a cut every now and then for something or another. However, what a few people were talking about at the station is the actual signature of the music. Yes, the station had a long time to make up their mind about the music and the station wants to go forward, not backwards; however, much of the staff haven't really heard the new music until its debut. And with all the recent showing of classic WBBM videos showcasing the WBBM signature music really brought to light to some at the station within the past couple days that the WBBM signature music is really an important part of the station. The new music is the direction WBBM's management wants to go music-wise. Someone had the idea of maybe having In The Groove make an update integrating the WBBM signature into the new music. Just replacing the WGN sounding signature to the classic WBBM signature is all they would have to do and it may work. Like I said, they're going to give the new music a shot. If it's not "clicking-in" like they hoped, it could change.. Just remember what happened the few times WBBM has dumped the WBBM signature music. They end up going back to it.

Overall, pretty nice.

The gfx have a CNN international look to them a little bit, but it all works out.

The set is massive. Maybe too massive....

And the music is nice too. I remember when I was younger, I would listen to WBBM Newsradio 78 on my AM radio (which sometimes would come into PA) and I love that theme they have. Nice to see CBS2 include that a little bit in this new theme.

Overall, very nice. All though, I think that WLS is still the dop dog in Chicago.

-- Matt

I'm almost certain the set is Jack Morton/PDG, who did the Comcast SportsNet sets (big monitor backdrop) and the KYW set (the compartmentalized areas, the big curved pillar things).

Agreed on the music. I saw a few reports on the impending change on the website and thought it was quite baffling how the retrospective reports heavily used the WBBM signature music, and then they change it. Insert the signature into this package and you have a damn good theme.

It seems like there's a new energy throughout WBBM. Granted, I'm outside Chicago and can only see the video that's posted online, yet it seems like they're closer to being a contender with WLS and WMAQ than they've been in a long time.

And if Chicagoans are sampling the new 'BBM, I can't help but think the station would have been farther ahead to have Mary Ann Childers or Diann Burns fronting their newscasts.

They already made one modification to the set...above the "monitor wall" they removed "CBS 2 News" and replaced it with the CBS 2 logo and "cbs2chicago.com" on both sides.

I guess they are referring to themselves as "The News on CBS 2 HD" or just "CBS 2 HD" now. Personally, I liked "CBS 2 News". The reporters still sign off using that.

This new set is far better than they're last cheap looking set. I like how spacious it looks. That's one thing about ABC 7's studio is the anchor desk looks cramped. I also like how you see people passing by on the streets of Chicago without standing outside just gawking in like at ABC 7.

I also like the new theme music compared to The Enforcer.

Archived