New CBS 2 HD Promo's

NBC 5 Chicago

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks so much for posting the video, Amra. Got a little misty-eyed there, the way the camera zoomed out like that as the studio door was closing - good stuff.

I'm really sorry I never got a chance to go inside. I came this/close in high school (like 10 years ago) when my classmate was on a taping of Different Drummers (the Sunday morning public affairs show). At the last minute I couldn't go, and never had the opportunity come by again. She did get me an autographed forecast from Steve Baskerville, tho :awesome:. But yeah, for someone so obsessed, it's a shame I never got to see the old place. I woulda freaked if I saw Lester, Linda, Steve, Tim, Mary Ann, or Carol (Marin). Bill & Walter too of course.

With humble appologies to Sir Elton John (Or Sir Thomas Bacon just in case!)

Good bye 630 N. McClurg

Goodbye 630 N. mcClurg

Your history is vast and colorful

You held the first TV Presidential debate

What the hell was Nixon thinking

he really needed make up bad

You gave us some great memories

from newscasts live in your newsroom

Home of legends you were

And it seems to me we lived our lives

Like a eye in the sky

Never blinking, always seeking

you gave us a sports guy name Brent

before he told us we were "looking live"

And Volkman's weather jive

And lets not forget Flahey Flynn and Frank Reynolds started there

Who can forget Kurtis and Jacobsen

or Carol Marin, or Lester Holt..Gene Siskel too

all worked for you

One legend grew so big

"bulldog" is his name

the crime beat was his fame

You created memories and great moments

for Chicago viewers

Lee Phillips was the queen of Midday interviews

Harry Porterfield shined in your eye too

Goodbye 630 N. McClurg

From those of us who remember you

While we look forward to a great future

we always are glad to look at the past

"Da-da-da-da daaaaaaaaa, da-da-daa-da-daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"

665844301_WBBMTV.jpg.ff5602998f908c1eda7967daf53f18d9.jpg

Score! I found a bunch of pics of the new building, including the studio. I hate to be a poop, but what's with all the wood? I thought (and was hoping) it was going to be light, bright, and contemporary. But if anything, the deeper hues and tones are a lot like ABC 7's. Even in Vince's live shot last night (the vid lazynet posted) I didn't like how dark it was - it even has a black floor. Not saying it's not modern, but I was thinkin mostly white & blue - not dark and blue, and certainly not wood. I dunno, what do u all think so far...

http://tullman.blogspot.com/2008/07/cbs-chicago-head-joe-ahern-visits.html

Hey.. It looks like somebody found one of the CBS 2 Works For You image campaign promos from the "Works For You" era and posted it on YouTube. Here's the link:

This was one of the few full minute versions that were made. This particular one features the station's talent.

I know as digging through old stuff at the WBBM building and sorting tapes to take or recycle, a couple staffers did find a handful of "Works For You" promos. Don't worry, they'll be saved.

Hey.. It looks like somebody found one of the CBS 2 Works For You image campaign promos from the "Works For You" era and posted it on YouTube. Here's the link:

This was one of the few full minute versions that were made. This particular one features the station's talent.

I know as digging through old stuff at the WBBM building and sorting tapes to take or recycle, a couple staffers did find a handful of "Works For You" promos. Don't worry, they'll be saved.

I have that one on tape! As well as another one and tons of other gems I'd post if I ever learn how to do such a thing. I used to joke that was Tracy Townsend singing that corny song.

I'm gonna re-post my previous post as well cuz me thinks we were writing at the same time and I wanna make sure y'all see it...

Score! I found a bunch of pics of the new building, including the studio. I hate to be a poop, but what's with all the wood? I thought (and was hoping) it was going to be light, bright, and contemporary. But if anything, the deeper hues and tones are a lot like ABC 7's. Even in Vince's live shot last night (the vid lazynet posted) I didn't like how dark it was - it even has a black floor. Not saying it's not modern, but I was thinkin mostly white & blue - not dark and blue, and certainly not wood. I dunno, what do u all think so far...

http://tullman.blogspot.com/2008/07/cbs-chicago-head-joe-ahern-visits.html

I've seen the set in person and I don't think it's that dark. I think it only looked that way during the video with Vince last night because they didn't have all the lights on in there. It could also be because of some of the light colors they had on the set weren't the brightest. The set is loaded with color changing LED's (just like in the Blyth FOX O&O sets) which they can change to whatever they want. Plus, I know they're still taking some lights from the old studio at McClurg and puting them up at the new studio. For cost cutting, alot of still very useful and newer equipment from the old building (like some of the lights and plasma flat screens) are coming to the new home to be used. Even the small garbage cans under the staffer's desks.

The original studio concept design did show a light and bright large open looking studio but I think the folks at WBBM fell in love with KYW's set and got a nice deal on the set. It really does look sleek and reminds me somewhat of the bridge on the starship Enterprise. I think it's great and the best looking news set in Chicago.

I used to be a big fan of the whole "CBS 2 Works For You" image/campaign back at the time but the more I look back at some of those old tapes now, it does seem a bit corny, especially for Chicago. Even the original DDG set from 2002 is starting to look a bit tacky to me. Maybe Ahern pulling the plug on it was really the right thing to do..

Everything looks great! Can't wait to see it on air with the news team this Monday. Great find!

Also, thanks to whoever posted that old CBS 2 Works For You image campaign video. I was pretty upset/surprised when they got rid of the Devlin set and replaced it with a bland one. But looking back all those years, most of that stuff seemed like it belonged more at a smaller-market news outlet than Chicago. Ahern and Co. did a great job with the new place. Gotta give him lots of credit for moving CBS 2 to a highly visible location in the heart of Chicago.

Jim Williams just opened the 10PM news by saying "welcome to our last newscast from 630 N. McClurg Ct."

So they'll begin broacasting from 22 W. Washington tomorrow, Sunday, one day earlier than expected.

And don't forget about the special tomorrow airing at 6am, 1pm, & 10:35pm. It just dawned on me - looks like they're pre-empting at least the first half-hour of their sunday morning news, depending on how long the special is.

I wish the viewers are as excited as all of us news junkies...haha. I was talking about this new studio with my sister earlier and she looked at me like I was nuts. Definitely going to try and catch one of the specials tomorrow, maybe the one at 1pm.

I'll end my post with a segment from the old News 2 Chicago days called "Here's 2 Chicago". So here's 2 you, CBS 2. Great job and good luck in the new digs. Hope the viewers come too.

Eew the big studio has those crappy-looking VintenRadamec robopeds. But the new set looks nice. No picture of the new desk though. The platform was empty when I was there too, a few weeks after those photos were taken.

I got to watch the last few minutes of tonight's broadcast, It wasn't as nice as the morning show one posted earlier, all they did was have people gather behind the desk and then kill the lights, leaving the logo on the desk illuminated. Then a shot of the new building. Personally, if I was the producer, I would have had a wide shot of the set, bring down the lights, dissolve to shots of the control room, newsroom, outside of old building, then a dissolve to the new building. But that's just me.

Eew the big studio has those crappy-looking VintenRadamec robopeds. But the new set looks nice. No picture of the new desk though. The platform was empty when I was there too, a few weeks after those photos were taken.

I got to watch the last few minutes of tonight's broadcast, It wasn't as nice as the morning show one posted earlier, all they did was have people gather behind the desk and then kill the lights, leaving the logo on the desk illuminated. Then a shot of the new building. Personally, if I was the producer, I would have had a wide shot of the set, bring down the lights, dissolve to shots of the control room, newsroom, outside of old building, then a dissolve to the new building. But that's just me.

Those pics in that blog were taken before the new anchor desk was installed. One of the causes of delay for the move to the new studios was the anchor desk which was damaged during the original shipping of the set to the new studios.

A more extravagant closing to tonights newscast would probably have been possible if there would have been more photogs/cam ops and other people at the old studios tonight to make it happen. The newsroom cam and control room cams were already removed quite a while ago so it wouldn't have been possible to just switch to those. Almost everyone has been at the new building today getting the place ready for debut. Everyone surrounding the anchor desk in the closing tonight are almost everyone that just happened to be in the building tonight. No special close was really planned for tonight. It was just something that was quickly thrown together including the Enforcer series 1 soft transition bump cut used. It just happened to be one of the few old Enforcer cuts still loaded and ready to go that would fit the occasion.

After the close, lights came back on and dismantling of various things on the old set began right away.

I was hoping for somethinng like what WMAQ did for their final broadcast from merchandise mart , none the less WBBM's original studios was one of a kind , and i'm glad to have been among those who passed by the studios and soaked in the memories

I don't believe there is a space formally designated as an "interview/multi-purpose" area. The "Sports Desk" and maybe areas around the Weather Center could be used. They also have an additional studio to use for larger events/performances.

I don't think they will be able to go outside (like using Daley Plaza for example) as often as WMAQ (Studio 5/Pioneer Court) and WFLD (FOX Plaza) does for various musical performances/interviews,etc...

I was watching this morning, they're still running "The new CBS2 Begins Tomorrow/September 22nd" ads.

I wonder if that means anything.

Well, the "official" debut of the new CBS 2 is supposed to be the 10PM newscast on Monday the 22nd. Eventhough they're already going to be broadcasting from the new building, they aren't having the morning or early evening newscasts as the official debut because there still may be some kinks (which there are) during the newscast that have to be worked out and all is hoping the 10PM newscast tomorrow goes flawless.

Everything was really going fine all the way up to early this morning where a number of technical problems came up.

I don't believe there is a space formally designated as an "interview/multi-purpose" area. The "Sports Desk" and maybe areas around the Weather Center could be used. They also have an additional studio to use for larger events/performances.

I don't think they will be able to go outside (like using Daley Plaza for example) as often as WMAQ (Studio 5/Pioneer Court) and WFLD (FOX Plaza) does for various musical performances/interviews,etc...

There are portions of the set that are multi-purpose areas which could be used for interviews or almost anything else. There is a portable cooking set counter with a stovetop for cooking/food segments.

They will be able to go outside to use Daley Plaza for some interviews, bands playing, or other segments. The Mayor is letting CBS 2 get as much use of Daley Plaza as they want. There is a nice large piece of carpet that was cut to use out there if there was a sit down interview to be held out there. The newer chairs and coffee table from the interview set at the old McClurg Ct. studio were saved to use for Daley Plaza interviews. The main problem with using Daley Plaza would be the occasional wackos that may drop by the interview.

Archived