WTMJ to add 3 p.m. Newscast

Dave Lampstein

From today's Inside TV&Radio column in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

ONE MORE HOUR OF NEWS: Channel 4 is adding an hour of local news at 3 p.m. weekdays starting Sept. 8.

The NBC affiliate — which, like this newspaper, is part of Journal Communications — is already adding a half-hour of news at 6:30 p.m. starting Aug. 25.

The new newscast means Channel 4 will be a news-only zone from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m., with “The NBC Nightly News” continuing in its traditional 5:30 p.m. slot.

Anchoring the 3 p.m. hour will be George Mallet and Courtny Gerrish, with Brian Gotter handling weather duties.

Do any other stations out there run 3.5 hours of local news in the afternoon/evenings?

Also, rumors are swirling that WTMJ's gearing up to launch high definition newscasts sometime before the Olympics.

Do any other stations out there run 3.5 hours of local news in the afternoon/evenings?

Also, rumors are swirling that WTMJ's gearing up to launch high definition newscasts sometime before the Olympics.

DAMN!! A 3pm Show???!!! This is really a true test. I don't think in my life I've ever heard any television station having a 3pm Newscast before. Let's see if people will watch it. I wouldn't be shocked if they'd get good numbers.

i would think its the Central Time Zone equal to 4PM EST Newscasts. 3PM newscasts will be common eventually around the country. Yes i do know that WTMJ has 4 already though.

What I want to know is what is their real motive? I'm glad they're adding an hour of news at 3pm and a half hour at 6:30pm but are they really trying to knock out Dr. Phil & Oprah on Channel 12 at 3 & 4pm respectively?

Take note now. If it's successful, stations across the country will adopt it.

It's an interesting time -- you have stations cancelling their 5pm newscasts and now here you've got a station adding some.

It is cheaper to produce a newscast than to pay for the rights to a successful syndicated program.

DAMN!! A 3pm Show???!!! This is really a true test. I don't think in my life I've ever heard any television station having a 3pm Newscast before. Let's see if people will watch it. I wouldn't be shocked if they'd get good numbers.

KCAL 9 the independent station in Los Angeles, has newscasts at 2 and 3pm so it's not anything new, but the bigger question is...Will anyone watch?

KCAL 9 the independent station in Los Angeles' date=' has newscasts at 2 and 3pm so it's not anything new, but the bigger question is...Will anyone watch?[/quote']

OMG. Damn, I completely forgot about KCAL 9. Thanks for reminding me.

KCAL 9 the independent station in Los Angeles' date=' has newscasts at 2 and 3pm so it's not anything new, but the bigger question is...Will anyone watch?[/quote']

But at the same time it is something new. KCAL is an independent station, and it's more of a news-only outlet (correct me if I'm wrong) than any other station in LA. There's much more of a market for it there because it's a larger market and they don't really have that much else to show.

To me, it's different for WTMJ. They have 2 hours of AM news, 4 hours of today, a noon newscast, and an hour of soaps. I would've thought they would've stuck in a syndicated show just because it would be easier. If WTMJ can establish a good 3PM newscast, we might see others starting to adopt it.

What does this newscast replace, anyways?

It replaces Better, or as the theme song says

BETTAHHHHHHHHH!!!

OMG, That has to be one of the most shittiest and the most irritating theme songs I've ever heard. I don't blame Channel 4 for replacing this for the news. They should've never aired this in the first place.

Based on that theme song, Meredith (the owner of the show's namesake, Better Homes & Gardens) must have held TMJ at gunpoint for them to air it. Not only is the singer grating, the song sounds like the theme to a '90s TGIF sitcom.

I too am wondering if 3pm news will work on a major-network station. Sounds like something they would try on a Fox O&O.

Here's Tim's blog on the matter, with reader comments underneath:

http://blogs.jsonline.com/cuprisin/archive/2008/07/23/another-hour-of-news-on-4.aspx

I'm wondering, if the HD rumors are true, if they'll go HD before or when they add the 6:30 news on August 28 or when they add the 3PM a few days later.

To top it off, is the set ready for HD? it is kind of old.

KDKA runs news from 4-7:30pm (local news from 4-7, and CBS Evening News from 7-7:30). So, that's 3.5 hours as well.

I think he's talking about 3.5 hours of local news only during the early evening yet it's not a straight 3.5 hours. Yeah, WJZ & WRC follows what KD does too. 3 straight hours of local news plus the national news at 7pm.

Here's Tim's blog on the matter, with reader comments underneath:

http://blogs.jsonline.com/cuprisin/archive/2008/07/23/another-hour-of-news-on-4.aspx

I'm wondering, if the HD rumors are true, if they'll go HD before or when they add the 6:30 news on August 28 or when they add the 3PM a few days later.

To top it off, is the set ready for HD? it is kind of old.

Personally, I feel it's HD ready. They don't have many sections for other uses that are too close to the desk. A refresh wouldn't hurt. Even when the set was brand new, it was about 10 years out of date.

Back in the late 80s or early 90s KNBC had a 3PM newscast. I cant remember if it was only a half hour or hour. If it was a full hour they would have had news from 3pm to 6:30pm straight. The 3PM news didnt last long and eventually they stopped their 4PM newscast several years ago when they started airing Dr. Phil

KCOP in Los Angeles also tried a 3:30pm newscast in the mid 90s. Didnt last long.

As some have already mentioned, KCAL (although technically independent is CBS owned) and airs newscasts at 12, 2, 3, and 4.

• 4 weeks later...
Back in the late 80s or early 90s KNBC had a 3PM newscast. I cant remember if it was only a half hour or hour. If it was a full hour they would have had news from 3pm to 6:30pm straight. The 3PM news didnt last long and eventually they stopped their 4PM newscast several years ago when they started airing Dr. Phil

KCOP in Los Angeles also tried a 3:30pm newscast in the mid 90s. Didnt last long.

As some have already mentioned, KCAL (although technically independent is CBS owned) and airs newscasts at 12, 2, 3, and 4.

KNBC never had a 3 PM or 3:30 PM newscast in the 80's or 90's. They did a few years ago have "News Raw" at 3 PM. That continues today throughout the afternoon on www.knbc.com KNBC, KABC and KCBS (KNXT) at one time (80's, 90's) all had a 4-7 PM local news block followed by the network news at 7. KABC has the longest now in L.A., 4-6:30 PM followed by the network news at 6:30 PM.

KCAL's newscasts do quite well. Normally #2 or #3 at 12 noon, for example. Great for an independent.

If we want to go back to the 1970's, KTLA use to do a 2 PM newscast with the late Larry McCormick, who was featured in many movies as a news reporter or anchor.

Guest Former Member 207
KNBC never had a 3 PM or 3:30 PM newscast in the 80's or 90's. They did a few years ago have "News Raw" at 3 PM. That continues today throughout the afternoon on www.knbc.com KNBC, KABC and KCBS (KNXT) at one time (80's, 90's) all had a 4-7 PM local news block followed by the network news at 7. KABC has the longest now in L.A., 4-6:30 PM followed by the network news at 6:30 PM.

KCAL's newscasts do quite well. Normally #2 or #3 at 12 noon, for example. Great for an independent.

If we want to go back to the 1970's, KTLA use to do a 2 PM newscast with the late Larry McCormick, who was featured in many movies as a news reporter or anchor.

Let's not forget with KTLA...post-O.J. murder trial, they did a noon newscast for about a year or so, with Marta Waller anchoring.

Phil Donahue's show aired for at 3pm on KNBC during 80s and 90s, until it signed off for good in 1996. That slot was later filled by Rosie O'Donell's show. I think the only time that any of the network stations aired news in 3pm hour was usually carrying the network news live at 3:30pm, but that was pretty rare. When ABC still had Monday Night Football, KABC aired World News Tonight at 4:30pm, followed by the hour of local news at 5.

Archived