Randy Price Married Gay Partner

TexasTVNews

Boston television news anchorman Randy Price married his longtime partner, Mark Steffen, on the steps of the Massachusetts statehouse Wednesday, the day after a proposed ban on same-sex marriage advanced in the state legislature.

"Our timing couldn't be better," WHDH-TV's Price told BostonHerald.com, referring to the marriage ban. "But actually it's pure coincidence since (today) is our 30th anniversary."

Price said he and Steffen wanted to swap vows on the capitol steps for "symbolic reasons."

"We're certainly not defiant people, but we believe that we should have the right to marry like anyone else," Price said. "Right now, it's right for us. And we've got as good a track record with vows and commitment as anyone else."

Price, an Air Force veteran and Baton Rouge, La., native, has worked for Boston's NBC affiliate since 1998. The station's Web site calls him "the country's first openly gay newscaster."

This is old news, having happened over a week ago. The most noteworthy item I want people to take away from this is the fact that Price and his partner have been together for 30 (!) years, and gay marriage opponents say "gays can't stay together for extended periods of time." It's obvious that line of thinking is dead wrong. Plus, how many regular, heterosexual marriages last to the 30th anniversary? Not that many. (That being said, I'm sure this thread will turn into something political and/or moral, and it should be moved to the Breakroom...which is where it should have been originally posted anyway.) Congrats to Randy and his partner.

Randy Price has paved the way for gay journalists, and showed many it was OK--and important--to be out to their viewers.

This is old news, having happened over a week ago. The most noteworthy item I want people to take away from this is the fact that Price and his partner have been together for 30 (!) years, and gay marriage opponents say "gays can't stay together for extended periods of time." It's obvious that line of thinking is dead wrong. Plus, how many regular, heterosexual marriages last to the 30th anniversary? Not that many. (That being said, I'm sure this thread will turn into something political and/or moral, and it should be moved to the Breakroom...which is where it should have been originally posted anyway.) Congrats to Randy and his partner.

Randy Price has paved the way for gay journalists, and showed many it was OK--and important--to be out to their viewers.

Here here! My sentiments exactly on both your points. Congrats to Mr. Price and Mr. Steffen!

Archived