Chyron Touts Gannett Deal

NYxaq

from the article:

The agreement with Gannett -- which Chyron CEO Michael-Wellesley Wesley first mentioned at the National Association of Broadcasters’ 2008 NAB Show in April -- will see the broadcaster use the Axis system to create, manage, share and broadcast news graphics across its 23 stations.

Axis is a subscription service that allows users to create template-based graphics at their desktop through a Web-based interface, then renders the graphic on its own servers and delivers the finished product as a file transfer via the Internet.

Axis will be used to create daily breaking-news graphics, maps and charts, while more complex customized work will be handled by the newly formed Gannett Graphics Group, or G3, a centralized division based at KUSA Denver that will produce high-end graphics for all of the Gannett stations.

Gannett will create a new graphics look that can be shared among the stations, and the implementation of Axis and G3 means that its small-market stations will be able to achieve a higher-quality look than they could have afforded previously, Lougee said. Some of the Axis graphics will also be used on Gannett’s station Web sites.

more at http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6579848.html

I just skimmed this but does this mean that KUSA is finally getting new graphics?

Hope so. You must hate them too.

The graphics from the early '90s look better than the shit they use now, in my opinion. And the set looked better too. Even the pre-'04 NBC-era set looked better than the current one.

But I digress.

Yeah guys... Axis is nothing to get excited about. Check 'em out at axisgraphics.tv. If you think the graphics on the air now at some Gannett stations are uninspired, wait til you get interns making fullscreens and OTS's using this system.

I've mentioned this before in another thread... I've used their mapping technology which was revolutionary at the time. I checked out the OTS graphic selections and they left a lot to be desired. I think a lot of stations now have switched from standard street lines on a colored background map to a satellite, be it Google Earth or something else. I'm not sure if Axis Mapping does that yet...

I can say from first-hand experience that it does not. I can only imagine how long it would take to receive their e-mails with the rendered maps if they were doing that! They only just introduced custom icons at NAB 2008, let alone satellite imaging.

Archived