New CBS 2 building/studios

lazynetjunkie

For those of you out of market or just don't get to drive into the city, I just found that somebody uploaded a couple new photos into flickr of the new home of CBS 2 Chicago. Here's a link to one of the photos: Block 37 Construction - Chicago (You'll have to view the photos in original size to get a good look.)

You can get a little sneek peek of the set and weather center. It's a WBBM version of the KYW set. Actually, much of the new facility is based off KYW's new facility.

As you can also see, the blue is pretty much going to remain, the logo is going to remain the same, and the "CBS 2 WeatherTrak" moniker is going to remain. The other day, they began installation of the new giant jumbotron screen outside the studio. Hopefully, by the end of September, you'll get to see it all in action.

This photo wasn't up when I originally posted this topic. Here's a photo of the new CBS 2 Jumbotron: Block 37 Construction - Chicago

It's already working too now. You can get a glimpse of some of the new graphics on the jumbotron. A change has been made from the original plans for the new studios. Originally, the Jumbotron was supposed to wrap around the whole corner of the building covering that whole exposed steel beam area; however, the city made WBBM downsize the screen because of worries of distracting drivers at the intersection.

Originally, the Jumbotron was supposed to wrap around the whole corner of the building covering that whole exposed steel beam area; however, the city made WBBM downsize the screen because of worries of distracting drivers at the intersection.

Who wouldn't get distracted? Especially if you're driving east on Washington Blvd. and you're right at the intersection of Clark street, then all they're going to see is the tron. It does look tacky where they can't place the tron at. I'm hoping they can fill something up at the spots where the tron would've been.

I read somewhere that some retail stores and a residential facility will be on the new Block 37 complex, which that should be done by next year. And I think Morningstar Inc. suppose to move at the same building Channel 2 is going to be. There was also plans on the new CTA rail superstation underneath the block 37 complex which would replace two stations respectively on Dearborn & State Streets and build two new tracks to connect the Dearborn & State subways for their proposed (O'Hare-Midway) Airport Express line. But I think that construction has been placed on hold due to financial issues and lack of capital funds.

Overall, I'm happy that Block 37 has finally been filled after almost 2 decades.

EDIT: Here's an article from Crain's Chicago Business in April that features a pic of the with original titan-tron design of the 22 West Washington building.

I believe the complete bottom portion of the wrap-around above the studio is still supposed to get a ticker/crawl covering up those short metal studs.

One thing that would help that exposed area of the building look better is if they could paint those electrical conduits and panels to match the color of the building to hide them. However, I don't really know if they can or not. I know in alot of areas now, it's against code to paint over electrical panels and electrical conduits in new construction. It might be something that we'd just have to deal with.

If you look closely at the bottom of that graphic on "The CBS 2 Jumbotron" (That's what people at the station are calling it so I figure that's what it'll be called.), it says "The HEART of CHICAGO" repeatedly across the bottom. "cbs2chicago.com" is repeated across the top.

It would be nicer if they just got some large metal panels to cover the exposed structure. Panels of the proper size and [st]color[/st] shade of grey would look great in that area.

The exposed structure is actually a part of the building's design now so it's going to stay. It's hard to see in the photos but it does really look better when you're lookin at the building from a distance. It does fit with what's going on with the rest of the building's exterior. It really does look better too when you're actually standing outside looking at it in person. The exposed electrical is what makes it look not so great but we'll just have to deal with that.

When you think about it, the design of many downtown Chicago modern buildings (1960's-present) are that way. The exterior of Chicago's "modern style" buildings have some sort of an exterior exposed metal structure look so it's really in keeping within the city's look. Chicago doesn't really have that flat retangular box-like building look that many cities seem to have.

The exposed metal looks ugly and unfinished the way it is right now. I really hope they do something to cover it up when it's all said and done.

Other buildings that have exposed framework do it in a way that looks aesthetically pleasing. This does not look pleasing.

Otherwise I am very excited to see the new studio. I hope more pictures are taken so the rest of us can get a preview of what's to come!

It's a shame I'll be off to college this year. Earlier in the year I was looking forward to seeing the new studio launch in August; it's a shame I'm not going to be here to see it. :(

One word: Slingbox!

In all honesty though, if your first semester of your freshman year was anything like mine, you'll be too busy partaking in other... extracurricular activities to worry much about missing the news from back home.

Can someone take a pic up close to the glass window?

As for more pictures, unfortunately, do to the nature of my work, I cannot take any photos of the place. I only gave a link to photos someone else has already taken and that I happened to come across on flickr.

I got a little memo that I was told to pass on to you guys about taking pictures of the new building..

For those of you that want to go and take pictures of the studio (especially those of you that are planning on doing this intending on posting your photos online), please do it from across the street or from a good distance from the window. Please DO NOT go up to the windows and take photos of the interior at this time. It all falls under the same laws as if you were to go up to anyone's house and take photos through the windows. Yes, the laws in Chicago were modified to include taking photos into the interior of a private building from a public sidewalk/property that is adjacent to that private building. You risk having your camera (of any type), film, and/or memory card confiscated by building security or police. Plus, I'm sure none of you guys have a private investigator license and have no legal reasoning to be taking photos of the inside of their new studio.

There will come a time when you'll be able to take photos of the inside of the studio from the outside just like what people do now outside ABC 7's studios. It'll most likely be when the studio is ready or right before the move. Right now, you can come by and check out the studio out for yourself in person from the outside. Just be sure to obey any signs outside the studio. If there's a sign that says "Sidewalk Closed", "No Public Access", etc., please do as it says. Those signs aren't out there to prevent you from checking out the place. Those signs are there to keep you safe from getting injured and to keep you out of the way of work going on. You have to remember that it's still a work zone out there and getting people there mad and/or causing delays is something you do not want to do.

However, if you want to take a picture of yourself standing next to the CBS logo or something of that sort, that is ok.

I'm not posting this to be an ass or anything. I'm just passing on some information. It's just a couple different stations here in Chicago have already had some problems with a few wackos that happened to be former TVNT members.. A couple of them ended up with the police being called on them and I believe one possibly got a restraining order from the station. I'm not saying you're all crazy but I'm sure there's some here reading this that might try something crazy or stupid.

The station did a favor by not covering the windows with black paper so people can see the construction of a news set. However, it doesn't mean you can just go taking photos of it to be distributed online.

A couple of them ended up with the police being called on them and I believe one possibly got a restraining order from the station. I'm not saying you're all crazy but I'm sure there's some here reading this that might try something crazy or stupid.

DYLAN OAKES?

How did you know they were all former TVNT members? If they actually were that's kinda funny.

I knew 1 of them for sure was a TVNT member. For a while, he repeatedly came to a station for the "free tour". When he started opening his mouth, he was asked by the station how he knew some information, he mentioned that he was a member here. The other 2 constantly called stations based on information they read here. One got to the point of harassing a station staffer about a new set, graphics, music etc. That one happened on a Saturday afternoon too so I figured it was a kid because he's not at school on Saturday and that would be the only time he would be able to make 20+ phone calls to 1 station throughout one day. I figured those 2 were also TVNT members.

It was a few years ago when those incidents happened. Actually, NBC 5 wasn't one of the stations involved.

I'm telling you, this whole TV news thing is attracting some real weirdos. A while back, I kept getting a phone call directly to my phoneline at my desk from some "kid" (that's the name I've adopted for most of them because they all seem to be in the mid-late teenage years) that kept asking for insider info on things like new graphics, going HD, etc. (which isn't even my direct department). I asked that kid how he got my phone number and he said that he heard someone making a page from my extension in the background when a report was being done from the newsroom on a newscast one night. It just seems if the assignment desk, phone operator, public relations, or whoever happens to answer the station's main phone number won't give some people the answer they want to hear, those people seem to think they have the right to bug everyone else that works at the station until they get the information they want.

tl;dr post about how WBBM will BAWWWWWWWWWWWWW loudly if you take pictures of the precious, clearly visible studio.

What are they trying to hide? If they're trying to prevent other stations from seeing anything, do they think that the other station employees are incapable of walking by and looking in?

If I were to install a large plate glass window in my house, and then not cover it, I would think that someone, at some point would try to take pictures of the inside of my home. It may be illegial for someone to do so, but common sense should tell you to put up blinds.

The other 2 constantly called stations based on information they read here. One got to the point of harassing a station staffer about a new set, graphics, music etc. That one happened on a Saturday afternoon too so I figured it was a kid because he's not at school on Saturday and that would be the only time he would be able to make 20+ phone calls to 1 station throughout one day.

Oh lawd.

I'm telling you, this whole TV news thing is attracting some real weirdos.

See: http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Aeverine_Nieves

What are they trying to hide? If they're trying to prevent other stations from seeing anything, do they think that the other station employees are incapable of walking by and looking in?

If I were to install a large plate glass window in my house, and then not cover it, I would think that someone, at some point would try to take pictures of the inside of my home. It may be illegial for someone to do so, but common sense should tell you to put up blinds.

I've already heard that GM's/ND's/staffers from the other Chicago stations have been going by and checking out the place. Hiding the place is not really the issue. They just don't want people coming by to take 20, 30, 50, 100, etc. photos just for the purpose of photos of their new set to post online. If you take yourself a couple photos to keep for yourself privately, great. If you want a couple photos of yourself standing outside the window of the place, fine too. They just don't want to start seeling online photo albums on places like flickr, webshots, here on TVNT, etc. of their new set until it makes its debut. I should have made this more clear in the original message.

If you want to see it up close in person, you can do so. It's like when you go by many of the retail stores downtown.. If they start seeing you taking photos of their window displays, then they have a problem with that.

If "they" really have a problem with it, "they" should come right out and say so. I think you are reading way too much into this.

IF what you are saying is true, then Channel 2 should be happy that some people are legitimately interested in their station. They have been in the ratings dumpster for quite a long time, and if I were them, I'd be happy with any good free publicity I got. Maybe it'll get more people to watch.

Oh, so I see he no longer "works" for WMAQ.

Well, not trying to cause any controversy.... but im a little confused here... if someone could help me get my facts strait, id appreciate it..... this video | http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci_gZc1gsRs |.....I found on YouTube..... How old really are you, Dylan?

and as a response to cbs2worksforyou....

Most stations i know like to give tours, and like people to be excited about graphic updates..etc... because usually they like viewers to be interested in the station, and things about the station. But if everything is true..not saying your lying.... but it sounds to me that these stations dont care about ratings, and could care less if they loose viewers...... im yet again confused.....

If anyone is interested in taking pictures, you're better off waiting until everything is up and running. To be honest, it appears to be a pretty simple set design with the anchor desk (to the very left according to the jumbotron pic posted) and the weather center is to the very right.

If you look closely at the pic, to the left, you can see two large video/plasma screens on the left and right side with the anchor desk in the middle (I believe there's a video/plasma screen behind the anchor desk as well). There appears to be a smaller video wall/set for stand-ups near the anchor desk as well. That said, it's a simple set design, but who knows what the final overall look will be. I guess we'll have to wait until everything is ready to go. I think their newsroom (design-wise) will be the best in town without question.

*** Edited to add that you can now walk arcoss the street to get a better look inside the studio. Still not much has been added since I last saw it, but the windows (at least the ones near the weather center) were open. I wonder could this mean some windows can be opened/closed if they want them to be or if they needed to bring something in through the window and that's why it was open? ***

Archived