The HD Effect

abc7 Man

Some may call it "The HD Effect". Whatever you call it, most news operations that have switched over to HD broadcasts have concentrated more on the fact that they are in HD and as a result making the news product as a secondary item. Vote in the poll above and discuss how your HD station is reacting after the switch over. Is there less quality reporting and more emphasis on that special camera shot? Give examples...

Basically, I agree with your point. KPNX (the NBC affiliate in Phoenix) has switched over to HD (as have other Gannett stations). In the past, I always had found them to be a quality source of news and information and the second best in the Phoenix market (always have been a big KSAZ fan). Now, that they have switched to HD, it seems that the quality of their news product has gone down.

Now, when I'm in Phoenix, I will be tuning into KSAZ and KPHO (which has really become a great station over the past couple of years), instead of KPNX.

It really all depends on the station and what they choose to do, do they choose to promote their HD switch or promote their newscasts. KABC would be a prime example of caring about HD more than the actual broadcasts, but they do manage to pull off better broadcasts than they had before.

-Vlad

It really all depends on the station and what they choose to do, do they choose to promote their HD switch or promote their newscasts. KABC would be a prime example of caring about HD more than the actual broadcasts, but they do manage to pull off better broadcasts than they had before.

-Vlad

Also WNBC...

Guest Junk Junk

WSB-TV has gone dumpster diving. The graphics look fine, but the set is not that great - the image they use on the rear projection screen is bad (whatever happened to the live shot from the tower cam). Technical glitches are nearly a daily occurence - It really is a sight to behold! As for news quality, not much has changed - if it bleeds, it leads.

;)

Archived