"Deal or No Deal" coming to WNBC 5 days a week

NewsJunkie247

Well, they can't pair it with Crosswords, as Crosswords has gone on "hiatus" for the year. Instead, there will be a choice of three shows, two Canadian, and a "Best of Crosswords."

Here is the article from Broadcasting and Cable magazine from a couple of months ago.

By the way, the show will start September 8th, and it will be on WTAT at 7pm.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6572447.html?industryid=47173

When lead-in ratings BOOMED with the explosion of Judge Judy --and thus the explosion of other shows (Brown/Hatchett etc), stations paid high dollar to keep those programs around. Viewers don't enjoy watching success of others (i.e. Millionare/Deal) which is then followed up by negative news stories.

I think the reason game shows aren't working as lead-ins is because there is such a steep transition from the 4PM hour to the 5PM for news. Oprah, Dr. Phil do so well because they empahsize, over time, stories of dispair and sadness, which is pretty much what the news is.

The 4PM hour is the must crucial in all of local programming, it can sometimes determine if a viewer sticks around for news...and later primetime. The idea of local programming is to bring the viewer at 4PM and not allow them to leave until 11:35PM.

And if you look around the country at dominate #1 stations, the lead-in is usually Judge Judy or Oprah and the 7PM block is Wheel and Jeopardy. After the depressing news and nice upbeat program (ala Jeopary and Wheel) is the perfect transition into Primetime.

My guess is they'll air it along with "Millionaire", during the 4:00 hour.

According to the "Deal" website, WTKR airs it at 4:30. I see no reason for 'TKR to dump "Millionaire" at that hour, as it's gone back and forth from 4 and 4:30 over the last three seasons. It only makes sense for them to put two popular game shows back-to-back.

In the Philly area, WCAU gets DOND at noon, and cable subscribers get a second dose thanks to the Lehigh Valley's WFMZ (4pm).

As for the Bonnie Hunt show, the station is listed as "WPSG", though the channel number is 3 (I'm assuming CW Philly 57 is getting it). Regardless, the airtime is 2:00 am. Stay hot, Bonnie.

Apparently WAVY gets "Bonnie Hunt" at 2:00, "Merv Griffin's Crosswords" 's former slot. I know the latter is on "hiatus" and that the syndicator (Program Partners) has offered alternative programming, but I wonder what plans (if any) WAVY has for the show...

Earlier, I've said that WRIC gets "DOND" at 4pm. Maybe they'll dump that 4:30pm news and replace it with "TMZ" (currently at 4pm).

As for "Bonnie Hunt", Richmond's not on the list. Heck, they can put it on WUPV (all they show is court programs [except for "Tyra Banks"] in the daytime and comedies at night). Or WRLH or MyTV Richmond (WRLH-DT2)...

According to the "Deal" website, WTKR airs it at 4:30. I see no reason for 'TKR to dump "Millionaire" at that hour, as it's gone back and forth from 4 and 4:30 over the last three seasons. It only makes sense for them to put two popular game shows back-to-back.
Then where would TMZ end up? I would think they would try to put the popular syndies closer to the 90 for a lead.

Then where would TMZ end up? I would think they would try to put the popular syndies closer to the 90 for a lead.

Actually, I see one of a few things happening...

1. Millionaire keeps its morning timeslot (10:30), allowing TMZ to air at 4, Deal or No Deal at 4:30.

2. TMZ moves to the 7:00 hour, along with Inside Edition. As a result, Extra would move back to its overnight timeslot.

3. TMZ simply keeps its overnight slot, and Millionaire takes the 4:00.

I dunno, I think #2 is the best option, as I'm thinking TMZ pulls better ratings for 'TKR.

During their Friday newscast, WKRG aired their promotion for "Deal or No Deal" with host Howie Mandel encouraging viewers to watch the show beginning September 8th. He also said the station's current on-air branding WKRG News 5. The half-hour program is among TV5's replacements for "The Montel Williams Show" at 3:00 PM. The other replacement for the hour is unknown, but the station has the syndication rights to "Judge Karen".

"The Bonnie Hunt Show" will be airing at 1:00 PM on WALA, which is replacing "The People's Court" at that time. The courtroom show also airs on Channel 10's co-owned station WBPG at 11:00 AM.

The first poster might want to rename this topic "Coming to Syndication Near You" and request that it be moved to General TV.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived