The CW & My Network TV

WWSBfan

Les Moonves explained recently that although The CW posts a loss every year, because virtually all the shows on the network are produced by CBS or Warner Brothers, it somehow ends up a net positive. Don't ask me how that works, but the short version is that they say they're perfectly OK with the way things work.

Here, you win. As NYMag's Vulture notes, it's through streaming that the CW balances its books. (The home video market is moribund, and it remains to be seen how See-Dub's shows will fare in syndication, but Netflix keeps the lights on.) And the CW holds copyright to Arrow? I would have thought it was Warner Bros. Television, given Warner's ownership of DC Comics.

It's also worth noting, that the shows on the CW do make their way overseas and get show in many European countries. They may actually be more popular and have more of an audience in other places than in the U.S. For example, Arrow which is being show on Spain's Antena 3, garnered 2.5 million viewers for its showing at 10:30pm and a second episode at 11:10pm garnered 2.8 million viewers which is pretty impressive considering that many people are in bed/sleeping by that time. Les Moonves is no dummy, he will keep things around long enough to squeeze extra money out of it. As SterlingNorth mentioned, the deal with Netflix is really helping the CW out, but also, CBS has a deal with Amazon to stream the show Under the Dome. So you can almost be assured that Amazon and Netflix will fight it out for these shows and of course it benefits Moonves/CBS/CW greatly.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another long-run problem for The CW in particular and its pretensions to being America's fifth network:

I'm thinking that title is taken.

Sure, it may be summer (when the Big Four take a break but not the telenovelas), but for the first time ever, Univision was #1 in 18-49 and 18-34 this past sweeps period.

• 4 months later...
Guest Former Member 207

You guys don't think the CW survives even though it's programming is beating NBC a lot of nights and it's garnering $$ for CBS and WB through Netflix and syndication deals?

I think The CW will stick around just for the reason you just stated...so long as CBS and the Warners can make back money via streaming and DVD deals, they'll be around for a while longer. Now whether it sticks in its current form (as a network service supplied to local stations), that's a different matter.

You guys don't think the CW survives even though it's programming is beating NBC a lot of nights and it's garnering $$ for CBS and WB through Netflix and syndication deals?

The CW only beat NBC once: That was on a Thursday. NBC has mopped the floor with the other networks on many nights this season, with The CW as the mop.

Archived