The CW & My Network TV

WWSBfan

Here's something ironic... the big deal that Tribune forced the CW to make -- outsource Sunday nights to Media Rights Capital in order to attract older audience -- ended in spectacular failure. The CW completely killed the deal. What is the CW going air on Sunday nights now? Old MGM movies and reruns of Jericho. I kid you not. The show that got cancelled twice on CBS is now going to be filler for the CW!

Looking to pump up its disappointing Sundays in an otherwise surprisingly-solid fall, effective November 30 the CW has decided to dump the entire Sunday night lineup that was farmed out to Media Rights Capital.

In its place in primetime, the network will air repeats of the cancelled CBS fan-favorite Jericho at 7 p.m., followed by a movie from a package purchased from MGM.

The network will also air Everybody Hates Chris and The Game from 5-6 p.m. and repeats of The Drew Carey Show from 6-7 p.m.

Well, the Drew Carey Show finally gives us evidence of Warner Bros' contribution to the network.

Additional Info

The pact, unveiled in spring, at first looked good on paper: It gave the CW a chance to get out of programming Sunday nights, where it had been dormant for years. MRC got primetime real estate to showcase its wares. And top CW station affiliate group Tribune got a safety valve, in case those CW shut-down rumors came true.

Given the goose egg Nielsens that MRC was producing on Sunday night, such a falling out was inevitable. But according to insiders, the CW finally slammed the door after MRC failed to keep up with its payments to the netlet. The block was already dragging down the CW's weekly ratings, and wasn't going over well with affils.

As Mr. Omar (the funeral home director on Everybody Hates Chris) would have said, "Tragic! Just, tragic!"

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To make matters worst, From the B&C today, The Tyra Banks Show is moving from syndication to The CW Daytime in September 2009. At the same time, Judge Jeanine Pirro will be moved to syndicated status.

This is a giant blow for the MyNetwork TV affiliates that have kept her show alive all since day one. The CW is still failing. They're happy that still have their lovely 90210 & Gossip Girl but all the veteran shows aren't doing good.

And what did I say about the Sunday lineup? Obviously MRC wasn't going to work to begin with. Give that whole 5 hour block back to the local affiliates. The network doesn't deserve a sunday lineup. MyNetworkTV doesn't have a Sunday Lineup. The local stations can do a way better job with the Sunday Line-up than the network.

This is a giant blow for the MyNetwork TV affiliates that have kept her show alive all since day one. The CW is still failing. They're happy that still have their lovely 90210 & Gossip Girl but all the veteran shows aren't doing good.

There's the rub. If you see CW promotional efforts, you wouldn't know the network aired anything other than 90210/Gossip Girl.

There's the rub. If you see CW promotional efforts, you wouldn't know the network aired anything other than 90210/Gossip Girl.

Judging the promotional efforts made by the CW to this day, I'd have to agree with HulkieD on this one. Promotions and programming from CW are aimed more towards white women 18-34 or 25-54 than any other demographic in the U.S. Now you see why the CW advertises the hell out of 90210 and Gossip Girl, yet Everybody Hates Chris, well, gets no love. And as an African-American citizen of the United States, I am shocked and pissed.

If the CW wants to survive another year or two, it's got to be careful when it comes to reaching out to its viewers. Stop wasting so much money on your cash cows -- i.e. 90210, Gossip Girl, and the like -- and focus on shows that REALLY need the help like The Game, 4Real, etc. If the CW does not take the necessary precautions to preserve its programming, it could meet a very untimely demise.

Right know I watch Gossip Girl. That show is surprisingly good, despite being overwhelmingly white and female. I can't watch Everybody Hates Chris because the scheduled time slot conflicts with other stuff I'm watching. Which suspect is the goal that the CW has. Find an excuse to cancel a show that doesn't fit the overly rigid Women 18-34/25-54 demo.

The CW needs to carve out a more inclusive demo (Men, African-Americans, Hispanics, and Asians look at TV, too) one that doesn't exclude 64% of the population. Gossip Girl and 90210 (I guess) would do fine on any network, because the shows are well written.

ANTM is drivel, Tyra coming to CW Daytime (I remember that Daytime WB was a dismal failure) is major step backward... They obviously want to see if Tribune will actually pull the rug out from under the CW...Zell will do it.

Hulkie and Eyewitness_News and I are on the same page. The CW is marketing itself as a "white women's network." It's a bad long term strategy. CBS just dropped the Ex-List because all of the networks have saturated the schedule with female programming to exclusion of all else...

The CW needs to carve out a more inclusive demo (Men, African-Americans, Hispanics, and Asians look at TV, too) one that doesn't exclude 64% of the population. Gossip Girl and 90210 (I guess) would do fine on any network, because the shows are well written.

Hulkie and Eyewitness_News and I are on the same page. The CW is marketing itself as a "white women's network." It's a bad long term strategy. CBS just dropped the Ex-List because all of the networks have saturated the schedule with female programming to exclusion of all else...

Which is ironic (the neglect of blacks in promotions of series of interest to blacks), is that the first several years of UPN, one could make an argument claiming that UPN's demographics weren't inclusive enough with shows like Moesha, Malcolm and Eddie, and the Parkers.

Gotta love ironies. The CW is now doing what UPN was doing. Another irony is that the WB (at least at the beginning) was a pretty inclusive with its schedule, Cleghorn, The Wayans Brothers, that show with Leah Remini, etc.

Gotta love ironies. The CW is now doing what UPN was doing. Another irony is that the WB (at least at the beginning) was a pretty inclusive with its schedule, Cleghorn, The Wayans Brothers, that show with Leah Remini, etc.

I would never thought of Cleghorne! until you'd mentioned it. That show & First Time Out were shows that didn't last less than a few months, along with Muscle (the first WB show to get canned).

The problem is is that the WB and UPN saw what they could call success when they went all white-girl on us. Unfortunately, they weren't as gradual or inclusive as Fox was (Beverly Hills 90210 was on the air the same time as Living Single was, for example), and Fox was reaching out to more people. The WB completely became white-bread in its last three years of life, and it might have worked for a while longer did UPN not start competing for the same (small) demographic.

The success is fleeting as we can see, but at the time of merger, neither network got smacked down enough to take lesson of the downside. The CW is now getting nothing but smacked down by the lesson.

There's the rub. If you see CW promotional efforts' date=' you wouldn't know the network aired anything other than 90210/Gossip Girl.[/quote']

They'd just showed an all new episode of Gossip Girl earlier tonight. And as I flick through the channels (during One Tree Hill), on their bug where they plug their shows caption on top of the bug, it states "An All New Episode of Gossip Girl, Next Monday Night...". It's like the whole network evolves around these two shows and they only show promos of other shows a few times just a couple of days adjacent to the time & day they'd show it. And that doesn't make any sense at all.

The fall of some of the female demoed shows continues. Rumors swirl that Lipstick Jungle is cancelled, although Ben Silverman won't confirm. He just pulled the plug on My Own Worst Enemy, that skews men 18-34/25-54. And the fact that it was on the same time CSI Miami is on might have something to do with the low ratings. Have you ever tried a different night, Ben?

Back to the CW, where do men 18-34/24-54 fit in? I'd love for a network executive to answer that question.

Next primetime season could very well be the last CW primetime season. XETV will probably go independent once CW leaves leaving the Tecate station with MNTV. XETV could get MNTV and let XHDTV become an affiliate for Univision, or Telefutura. Maybe not.

• 4 weeks later...

You have to remember demographics are about selling. The problem with UPN was a huge black audience that didn't buy.

This lesson was learned in the 50s. Desi Arnaz said to Phillip Morris, look we deliver a HUGE audience each week, if you can't sell them cigarettes it's your fault.

But Desi was wrong, Phillip Morris took a hit and eventually left "I Love Lucy," because even though it had a huge share very few of those people watching it bought ANY cigarettes, much less Phillip Morris.

YOUNG white girls, especially teens have huge amounts of disposible income. A young white male teen is more likely to buy a car with his money and after school job. A young female teen will buy stuff like clothes, make up etc.

It's pointless to put on shows no matter how good or how many people watch if those people won't buy the products.

With digital coming the VHF/UHF thing will be eliminated. We'll have to wait a year to see how that will finally get sorted out

You have to remember demographics are about selling. The problem with UPN was a huge black audience that didn't buy.

This lesson was learned in the 50s. Desi Arnaz said to Phillip Morris, look we deliver a HUGE audience each week, if you can't sell them cigarettes it's your fault.

But Desi was wrong, Phillip Morris took a hit and eventually left "I Love Lucy," because even though it had a huge share very few of those people watching it bought ANY cigarettes, much less Phillip Morris.

YOUNG white girls, especially teens have huge amounts of disposible income. A young white male teen is more likely to buy a car with his money and after school job. A young female teen will buy stuff like clothes, make up etc.

It's pointless to put on shows no matter how good or how many people watch if those people won't buy the products.

With digital coming the VHF/UHF thing will be eliminated. We'll have to wait a year to see how that will finally get sorted out

I would have to disagree with you on the part about "a huge black audience that didn't buy". Black audiences particularly black females (25-34) have large amounts of disposible income.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived