The CW & My Network TV

WWSBfan

The CW & My Network TV. What's your opinion on them?

Personally, I think it was 2001 when the CW (UPN at the time) started going down, and know it's just worse than ever.

I don't watch My Network TV- nothing that appeals. Same can be said for The CW- there both... :watch:

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really think there's only room for one of them. One of them is bound to fail soon.

I agree. I think it will probably be My TV.

The only show I watch on the CW is "Smallville." For MyNet, it's pure garbage, I wonder how our local affiliate, WBFS-TV regrets joining MNT, they should have gone independent.

I know what you mean. I also wonder the same thing about WTTA-TV, the Tampa/Sarasota affiliate of My TV.

I agree. I think it will probably be My TV.

I know what you mean. I also wonder the same thing about WTTA-TV, the Tampa/Sarasota affiliate of My TV.

I mean, think about it, even during it's UPN days, WBFS was a pretty cool station. It wasn't until 2000, you know when Viacom merged with CBS and UPN33 ended up with WFOR-TV. 9/11 proved my point as WBFS carried CBS News' coverage of the aftermath. Since then, it never recovered.

I think MyNet will be the surviving network. Here's why.

MyNet was not launched with false pretenses of "being the fifth network". MyNet was launched because Fox went "oh crap, we need to fill primetime hours on the old UPN stations". Remember, the telenovelas were planned for syndication and then rushed onto the air when the network was launched.

It's run on the cheap, features reruns as part of its schedule, and has no expectations for really high ratings. The boldest gamble they've made so far is to get WWE, and that's not really that bold of a gamble (if it's anything like the setup on UPN/CW, then it's a time buy).

I don't think CW is going to survive two years. You have the largest station group publicly distancing themselves from the network. One of the half-owners is trumpeting a revived online version of the WB in such a manner that screams "We screwed up". And the top brass has made some of the most baffling programming decisions in the history of ever, embracing a target audience of white, suburban, teenaged girls.

Oh, and the branding is ugly at best and downright offensive at worst. Those "OMG" Gossip Girl ads left me cringing.

CW will likely go down as one of the biggest calamities in broadcasting history.

Concur, Hulkie.

With the advent of iptv, plus Chairman Martin's proposals for the future of low power tv, I think we're better positioned as an independent than our larger bretheren stuck in affiliation agreements with CW and MNTV, especially the former.

The problem is getting syndicators and ad agencies (especially the latter) to quit living in the past.

I don't think CW is going to survive two years. You have the largest station group publicly distancing themselves from the network.

Since you live in Philly (and near NYC), I gather that WPIX dropped CW branding. Which is expected, as KWGN and KDAF did that a little while back.

Also, other instances of Trib publicly distancing itself from The CW are KSWB switching to Fox and Zell stating that KPLR may eventually get ABC from KDNL. The occurrence of KSWB dropping The CW is actually rather shocking to me. Why would Fox move away from XETV (aside from being based in Mexico)? It's on the VHF band. Fox didn't go to KNSD when New World owned it!

And the top brass has made some of the most baffling programming decisions in the history of ever, embracing a target audience of white, suburban, teenaged girls.

You nailed it with a sledgehammer on the head right here. I despise the networks new approach to a younger female demographic. What does the other demographics feel? The young adult males 18-29, 18-35, Oh wait, they don't give a damn about those demographics.

My hypothesis is this will be a very dismal year for season 3 of the CW. I mean which network would give up their entire Sunday Night Lineup to another company? This was like the dumbest move they've ever done. They could've gave those 5 hours to the affiliates. MyNetworkTV doesn't have a Sunday Lineup but many affils pop up a movie. The stations can make a way better line-up than the CW. Who would watch some repeat of Top Model at the same time nearly everybody is watching either Desperate Housewives or Family Guy. Now they're constantly airing promos of the new "90210", like this is going to be their final lifeline of the network.

I'm happy Smackdown is back on (if you live in NY, LA or the Chi) the old Channel. Even though the show has some ratings declines, WWE could do better on the new network. MyNetworkTV will most likely stay because of the programs they show. I don't think they want to have shows that would cause a rating surge that would top the FOX Network.

Our MNTV affiliate (WZMY) made the best decision of it's 20 year history by affiliating with MNTV. Although if The CW folds I can't see it staying there for long, seeing as there would be 2 significantly higher rated independents in the market (WLVI and WSBK).

The CW is a piece of crap and should just close down now. I only watch WLVI for it's syndicated airings of Two and a Half Men. The rest of the network is a craphole.

It used to be that "The WB" is jointly owned by Warner Bros. Entertainment (owned by Time Warner) and The Tribune Company (which owns flagships WGN-TV, WGN America, WGN-AM, CLTV, The Chicago Tribune, and The Chicago Cubs.) Now "The CW" is a 50/50 venture between CBS Corporation (owner of CBS) and Time Warner. Tribune no longer has a stake on that network. So, in my opinion, I am so glad that WWE Friday Night Smackdown is moving to MyNetworkTV this October. Just in case of a ratings-wise solution to help the struggling network which launched on September 5, two or three weeks before "The CW" launched as well.

Personally, I think this will be the CW's final year, they will be fading out due to lack of interest

True. Although, what is MYTV that is so interesting, I don't see anything, kinda like CW.

My Network will survive because it is CHEAP.

The biggest expenditures are WWE and that Flavor Flav sitcom, which isn't saying much.

They do not pour money into promotions and programming.

My Network will survive because it is CHEAP.

The biggest expenditures are WWE and that Flavor Flav sitcom, which isn't saying much.

They do not pour money into promotions and programming.

Correct. I remember reading MyNet has a full time staff of...8 people. The rest is outsourced to the appropriate NewsCorp divisions.

Again, as I've stated in previous posts...

WWE is basically a time buy. WWE has greater control of advertising and promotions (which I think they produce themselves) than a typical network show. There's upside for both companies.

Archived