Male Fashion Disasters

SuitSnob

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: Male Fashion Disasters: Rick Folbaum (And Most of the Fox5 Anchors)

thats because you keep posting to it bringing it back up since the begining of the year...your the only one that keeps this "brilliant contribution" going

Ladies, that's enough. If you don't want to suits don't go to the Men's Warehouse and don't click on this topic. Simple as that. Now go run along and talk about WABC's new graphics...

• 4 weeks later...

I never imagined this day would come.

That one of the paragons of professional polished prefection would wind up on this thread. The usually dapper Reid Lmaberty has had a MAJOR fashion mishap.

We are not talking about one of my usual nit-picks...even the Sartorially Uninformed can't miss this one. And I beg the Fashion Sensitive to look no further

Why God...WHY?!?!?!

reidwrinkled.jpg

What the hell happened to this poor man's suit...the wrinkles...the rumples? It looks like he swam the polluted waters of the Long Island Sound, crawled through mud, walked through a carwash and then let it air dry on him as he slept in a kennel. Adn then butoning the bottom button only-which for those of you playing at home is MUCH worse then buttoning the bottom button WITH the other buttons!

reidwrinkled2.jpg

I am telling you people, this is NOT the Real Reid Lamberty...we are talking Invasion of the Suit Snatchers here! There has got to be a back story...I just can't imagine he didn't notice how bad his suit looked...couldn't he have just reported in his shirtsleeves, it was a hot day today-could have gotten away with it!

SuitSnob, when I hit the big time, I want you to be my style consultant! ;D

Thanks, but you don't need a style consultant to know that Reid's suit had gone to Jesus! I don't think The Salvation Army would have even taken it in!

Looks like he slept in it in the back of the news van!

I'm sure he knows better - it was probably something last minute and he didn't get a chance to spruce up.

Looks like he slept in it in the back of the news van!

I'm sure he knows better - it was probably something last minute and he didn't get a chance to spruce up.

He definately knows better...and being on FOX5 has allowed him to be a bit bolder in his choices. I still just can't believe he went on-air looking like that!

On tonight's 6pm broadcast Rick Folbaum wore a blue pocket square that I think was the exact same color as the blue screen he was standing in front of. So, the graphics wound up getting projected for a little triangle above his breast pocket! Let's see if they fix it by the late broadcast.

I will be doing a full, fashion update later for my fans...but ESPECIALLY for my detractors!

Early June Men's Fashion Round-up Part One

Oh lord...how hard is it for a man in the fashion capital of America to put together a decent suit, shirt and tie? And why is it that over on the General News thread I am appreciated while here on the NYC thread I am controversial...shouldn't New Yorkers know better?

Anyway here we go with a report for my fans...and for my detractors: Why are you even continuing to read this thread at this point?

Fox Five Personalities:

First of all...I have given up on Ron Corning. The man just looks like crap about 85 percent of the time and it looks like the FOX5 producers have no problem with him dressing daily as if it is Casual Friday.

060407corning.jpg

French cuffs but no tie? Huh?

It seems Rick Folbaum has continued to improve and is buttoning the bottom button of his suit coats less and less. He also has not worn that horrible sportcoat combo on air again (it would be prefectly find for a casual event however).

060407folbaum.jpg

Looking good Rick!

GOOD NEWS: Reid Lamberty has gone back to general perfection after last month's suit debacle:

060407reidperfect.jpg

Unfortunately, he had one miss-step this weekend (and please understand that any criticism of Mr. Lamberty is in the prism of reviewing a master):

060407reidcasual.jpg

OK for the country club, OK for reporting a story in the summer. But in the formal newsroom? The light-colored pants and metal-buttoned blazer is a bit too casual. All beautifully put together for the wrong event.

And here is another nice outift, but WHOA!!! Talk about your wild 5 o'clock shadow!

060407reidshadow.jpg

Did he have a double-shift or something?

A newer member of the FOX5 staff is a great up-and-comer in the Great Suit Race, Rob Malcolm:

060407malcolmpurple.jpg

Great dresser, but I think his Full Windsor tieknots are a bit out of control...he should switch to a Half-Windsor:

060407malcomwidsor.jpg

THE KNOT THAT ATE ROB MALCOM'S NECK!!!

And Jesus Christ and Crackers!!! What is it about the FOX5 studio that makes otherwise well-dressed men button the bottom button of their damn suit coats?

060407malcolm.jpg

And to close on a positive note, a cheer once again to the gloriously-dressed Andre Hepkins:

060407andre.jpg

And now Part Two, where we will present men from the other local networks.

First off, John Discepollo. The man has a frame that tailors dream of when creating and fitting suits and back on his FOX5 days he was generally given full, standing shots that showed this off. He has always had nice suits and shoes. However, he has counter-balanced this with occasional bad shirts (deep red shirts on-camera?) and frequent ugly ties. When he had the wide shots this was not as problematic (though duly noted by the Evil SuitSnob), but on CBS2 he is getting close-ups which are celebrating the ugliness:

060407uglytie.jpg

EWW!!!!

060407ugliertie.jpg

DOUBLE EWW!!!!

Private to John: You work in Manhattan. Believe it or not, there are places that sell ties other than The Men's Wearhouse.

Over on ABC7, this month the great suits have been more smokin' than usual. Now that he has apparantly gotten rid of those horrible wide-spread collars, Phil Lipoff has become a Fashion Force to be reckoned with:

060407lipoffdapper.jpg

He also seems to have switched from Half-Windsor to Four-in-Hand knots. He looks great with both, and this morning he pulled off the elusive and advanced Double-Dimple:

060407lipoffdoubledimple.jpg

One itty-bitty mess-up from a week or so back: Reporting on a fire, he loosens his tie, which is understandable. But then take the jacket off and roll up the sleeves too to really accentuate the effect of getting down and dirty with the story-eithier go all the way or just look like you have a sloppy tie knot:

060407lipoffsloppytie.jpg

I pulled this for another thread, but will post it here. Jeff Rossen's tie knots have been getting bigger and bigger every year it seems:

060407rossenwindsor.jpg

Yes Jeff, you have the biggest one of any guy in NYC. Now go buy a sports car.

And a last-minute addition...the ALWAYS perfectly turned-out Ducis Rogers..without a doubt the best-dressed sports guy in New York debuted what I believe is a brand-new three-piece suit tonight:

060407ducis3p2.jpg

060407ducis3p3.jpg

You go, Dapper Dan!

OK, now let's see the five supportive responses and five I HATE YOU responses! Please people, remember: it's all in good fun!

Did you see the ugly combination Rob Morrision was wearing today? I usually don't take any notice to what people are wearing but yikes!! it was a bad combo!

Did you see the ugly combination Rob Morrision was wearing today? I usually don't take any notice to what people are wearing but yikes!! it was a bad combo!

Didn't catch it...though he usually looks very good...what was it, clashing colors? Ugly tie?

Great round-up, SS, as always.

But are you sure that's Lipof doing that remote? Looks more like Marcus Solis!

They could almost pass for brothers.

Come to think of it, Marcus is pretty cute...huh? Pretty damn good in the suit department too. But I think Mr. Phil is the hottest man at WABC hands-down.

Was Phil Lipof sporting a fauxhawk in that first picture? It sortof looks like one from the side...

Naw...it just looked extra fluffy and adorable...just like him....

Guest GForceTV

The apocalypse has occured - a SuitSnob thread without Wes or Tarek!

At least until they become NYC anchormen.

Guest GForceTV

At least until they become NYC anchormen.

You'd love that, Suity :p

Great round-up, SS, as always.

But are you sure that's Lipof doing that remote? Looks more like Marcus Solis!

They could almost pass for brothers.

Come to think of it, Marcus is pretty cute...huh? Pretty damn good in the suit department too. But I think Mr. Phil is the hottest man at WABC hands-down.

They are indeed the hottest men at the station. WOOF! WOOF!

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Male Fashion Disasters: All Over the Dial

First of all, thank you all for the cards, letters and used boxer short you have all sent me in the mail. It's nice to know I am loved.

Now to another fashion round-up:

First, to all of you out there who think SuitSnob's insistance that suit-wearing men everywhere, ESPECIALLY the ones on TV in the #1 news market in America need to learn NOT button the bottom bottom of the suit coat is only based on some mean rule and doesn't matter-please check out Lonnie Quinn:

First, yes...nice ensemble, but bottom button buttoned ruining the line and flow of the jacket:

061807Lonnie01.jpg

He goes to sit and you can see him fighting to keep it from riding up:

061807lonnie03.jpg

Now seated, his poor tie is about to slip out:

061807Lonnie02.jpg

All of this could have been prevented HOW boys and girls? I think you know the answer.

Now technically a gentleman should unbutton his jacket whilst seated, but this has always been excepted for men on-camera. As a matter of fact it is strongly reccomended that anchors and other personnel seated behind the desk keep their suit coats buttoned.

Now we have quite a selection from Rob Malcolm, who really is a great dresser but just needs to watch the details. As previously reported, his tie knots are just out of control. I think he actually has gone past the Full Windsor to the Double Windsor...or else he is about 5'4" because only a short man could make a normal Windsor knot THAT big. In any case, it has gone beyond reasonability to the point they are going to need a special camera lens just to keep it in shot:

061807Malcolm01.jpg

And here he wears abother bulbous knot without a wide-spread collar...never a good idea, you can see the collar points getting shoved past the jacket line (and I am not sure about the sportcoat, unless he is reporting on the 69th Annual Greenwish Village Gay Garden Party)

061807Malcom02.jpg

And finally, WHAT WAS FOX THINKING?!?!?!? Here he is reporting from the Bada-Bing on the night of the Sopranos finale...is this the Fox producers idea of what people look like in Jersey? And by the way, he was wearing the blue suit seen the the first pic on the 6 broadcast and changed into this for the 10....so it was deliberate:

061807Malcom03.jpg

(OK...I'll admit it...he look sexy as hell-but still wrong for the news!!!! ;D )

Another ugly tie for John Discepolo....

061807Discep.jpg

And finaly-the worst Suit EVER on local news!!! Shame on Phil Lipoff!!!!

061807LipoffFireman.jpg

The shirt does NOT go with that two-toned jacket!!! And he is all covered with soot!!!! And where in hell is his TIE?!?!?

(OK...I just lifted this for TellyGenic's fantasies. Don't go starting a fire in your bedroom in hopes of him showing up Telly!)

Class Dismissed!

Archived