Male Fashion Disasters

SuitSnob

Now we see another point of fashion that most men know intrinsicly, yet for some reason here in the middle of the fashion capital of the world the well-paid, on-air anchor talent at Fox 5 (save for the ALWAYS perfectly-dressed Ernie Anastos) hasn't seemed to get the memo:

A gentleman never buttons the bottom button of his suitcoat. Ever.

This is not debateable, it is a fact of fashion and suits are constructed and tailored with this in mind. A man who buttons the bottom-button looks very stiff and silly as Mr. Rick Folbaum demonstrates here:

folbaum1.jpg

Of course this would be bad enough for Joe Blow the Tractor Salesman in Minneapolis, but here we have these men (Ron Corning and Dick Brennan also do this quite a bit) with a camera fixed right to them and being broadcast to hundreds of thousands of homes. And for some reason at Fox5 it is just the anchors-you never catch Nick Gregory or John DiCepello doing this.

While standing, the button-all-buttons looks stiff and destroys the line of the suit and ease of movement. But while sitting (with the camera on an ever tighter close-up):

folbaum2.jpg

folbaum3.jpg

...it causes the front of the jacket to buckle and bulge. Why do these guys go to so much trouble to put on a high-quality, well-tailored suit, a shirt with French cuffs, an expensive tie and pocket square and then muck it all up by buttoning their jacket incorrectly and then wind up looking like a teenager borrowing his dad's suit for a date? Someone needs to teach these men to dress!

Class dismissed!

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: Male Fashion Disasters: Rick Folbaum (And Most of the Fox5 Anchors)

Hey kids, it's a major TV market and personal apperance is a big part of being a professional anchor. Any "Dress For Success"-type book would tell you that doing this makes you look like a rube, and that would be advice to a guy working in an office where a very limited number of people would see him that day. These guys are being broadcast to hundreds of thousands and sometimes over a million homes.

But is it "serious?" Could most of the topics we bring up here be regarded as "serious?" :D

The fact that some of those pictures are from the old studio are also a bit disturbing that you've been thinking about this an evidently long time.

The fact that some of those pictures are from the old studio are also a bit disturbing that you've been thinking about this an evidently long time.

I had those from a bit back when I was illustrating this point on another forum, he is sitll doing it-as a matter of fact he did it tonight. I am assuming as you are on this forum that you are a regular watcher of the news-maybe you should note the content of events reported if you are going to classify this as "Disturbing;" there are more disturbing things happening in the world that could probably use your attention. Yeah, my scrutiny of the way men dress in the media may be a bit out there-but you are the one who actually noticed that it was from the old set-some people might find that "disturbing."

That's info I'll keep in mind. I usually do and never think twice about it.

Likewise.

Here are a few good sites that should be required reading for any guy that needs to dress for business:

This lists the ten most common mistakes men make:

http://askandyaboutclothes.com/Clothes%20Articles/TenCommonMistakes.htm

http://askandyaboutclothes.com/

http://styleforum.net

I just caught a glimpse of Storm Field on My9. That guy's wardrobe is beyond my or anyone else's intervention.

Is it OK to wear a plaid tie, with a polka-dotted shirt in a striped suit??

Sure! If you are exiting a tiny car with 45 other clowns! Make sure the colors in the tie don't clash with your green hair!

But seriously, one of the candidates on The Apprentice wore an outfit alomsot exactly like that this week:

apprentice02.jpg

Do you SEE why the world needs me!?!?!?!?!? :D

I think I speak for many when I inquire...

Is it really that serious?

No more or less serious than posts such as "Enforcer New Generation at CBS2" or the umpteenth post about "what's roz going to do?" or "CBS2 is a disaster." ;)

Worst offender of the all-buttons buttoned syndrome is that Mike Woods. Plus, his shirt collars are too big.

Will there be any pop quizzes on this subject, and will anyone be kept after class for special tutoring?

Who, in your opinion is the best/ worst dressed male anchors and reporters?

Hmmm....

A short list, I may ammend later after further thought:

Best Dressed: Ernie Anastos, Jim Rosenfield, Lee Goldberg, Ducis Rodgers, Maurice DuBois, Andre Hepkins, Jeff Berardelli, Jeff Pegues, Jay DeDapper (obviously!), Dave Evans. And the bitch fired him, but DEFINATELY Reid Lamberty.

Worst Dressed: Storm Field, Craig Allen (no longer on WCBS, but OH LORD!!!), That New Morning Guy on WCBS, Steve Bartelstein. Chris Wragge is pretty bad, but has made an extreme improvement from his sports reporting days when he was wearing sport shirts that were not intended to be worn with a tie (the tie knot could barely fit in the collar) and some truly hideous sport coats.

Two on the fence on FOX5 include:

Mike Woods: Some days he looks perfect, like he just walked off of an Esquire ad. But he has a few suits that are just AWFUL!!! Like he's owned them sice high school and bought them at the Salvation Army Surplus Sale, ill-fitting-you name it!

John Dicepello: Again, most days he looks very. very good. Probably has the best body for the purpose of wearing suits of any man in NYC news, a tailor's dream. But he wears some very boldly-colored shirts that just don't look good on TV, particularly with his swarthy looks (dark red and blue shirts for instance). Also, he should try some French cuffs once in a while, it's good to add a touch of class when you are the sports guy.

i judged you too early (in another thread) you sure do know alot about this sort of thing, and are pretty knowledgeable on the subject. you know more then most chicks ;)

Aw Shucks!!! If you ever need help dressing for a job interview or a big date I'll even help you out! Or at least now you know what men on local news to emulate. Honest to God, you'd think the stations would have someone whose job it was to check the personal appearance of their male and female staff's on-air appearance.

i judged you too early (in another thread) you sure do know alot about this sort of thing, and are pretty knowledgeable on the subject. you know more then most chicks :D

Aw Shucks!!! If you ever need help dressing for a job interview or a big date I'll even help you out! Or at least now you know what men on local news to emulate. Honest to God, you'd think the stations would have someone whose job it was to check the personal appearance of their male and female staff's on-air appearance.

ill bring that up at our next budget meeting

• 4 weeks later...

Hey SuitSnob - what's your opinion of John Marshall? Too Men's Wearhouse, wouldn't you say?

John Marshall is about the median. Not too stylish, not too dull. Resonable fit. I'd rather see someone like him play it a bit safe than see Rick Folbaum, Ron Corning and Dick Brennan on FOX 5 who all wear flashier suits but look like jackasses constantly buttoning the bottom button of the coat(which even a Men's Wearhouse employee could tell you not to do!!

• 1 month later...

Well, what a fine time for a Fox Five Fashion Update!

The news, unfortunately is not good. While there are still some Suit Superstars on the payroll (Ernie Anastos and Andre Hepkins) the loss of John Discepollo (always perfectly-tailored suits, though occasionaly bad shirts and ties) has brought the average down quite a bit. And some of the offenders are just getting worse and worse.

Let's start with the charming Ron Corning. We give him some leeway for being a bit looser in his presentation as a morning anchor, but come ON!!! You are on TV...why look so sloppy?

First, he loses the tie and goes with a sweater vest, all while commiting the cardinal Sin of buttoning the bottom button of his suitcoat making the entire front of his torso look stiff and unattractive (note how bunched up the area around the buttons is):

corningslob01.jpg

What, is he a Romance Language professor at a liberal arts college? Or a guy on a first date to The Ground Round? He's definately not dressed to read the news.

Then we move onto something I can not believe the producers allowed on the air:

corningslob02.jpg

Formal business shirt, conservative tie, tailored suitcoat and JEANS?!?!? What, is this a station in Indiana and he's about to give the Farm Report? You can mix jeans with a blazer or sportcoat but NEVER with a suitcoat and definately not on TV. And then we find he makes it worse:

corningslob03.jpg

Yes, boys and girls...he once again buttons the bottom button. (Sigh) Some people will never learn.

Private to Ron: Dude, go to the men's department at one of the better department stores in town. Get a CONSULTANT to help you with your wardrobe, most stores will provide this service for free. You need some help.

Next on to now-constant source of fashion disaster, Rick Folbaum.

He also has the Fox Five I Am Going To Button My Bottom Button No Matter How Wrong It Is Or How Dorky I Look Syndrome:

folbaumslob2.jpg

I just don't get this guy..he has a snazzy tailored suit and perfectly coordinates it with a French Cuff shirt, nice tie and coordinating pocket square and then destroys the line almost daily. He obviously knows most of the finer points of dressing; is there like some secret Folbaum family curse that says if he doesn't always button the bottom button he will turn into a werewolf or something (hey maybe on the air...that would be awesome for ratings!).

Now, I usually really like the componants of his suits, but recently I was truly suprised at how he attired himself:

folbaumslob3.jpg

Looks like he is going out for Halloween as a rec room couch and coordinating ottoman. Not good for reading the news.

And last, another one of this month's candidate for Suits a Well-Dressed Personality Should Not Wear on the Air Anymore:

cap804.jpg

Dick Brennan is generally very well dressed and is one of the most talented people on-air in local news in my opinion. But on-camera, the tight pinstripes of this suit read very poorly...almost making it look like some 1970's corduroy.

Class dismissed!

Holy Men's Wearhouse Batman!! Where did you find that, and does Pat Boone know a TV news personality raided his wardrobe?

Now come on - it's hard for the portly man to find a decent wardrobe outside of NYC....

In other news, Suitsnob - what's your opinion of on-air personalities who show too much? Specificaly, I'm talking about WABC's new weatherboy Jeff Smith. He did a remote on Sunday morning from a golf show, and took off his jacket to show off his swing. He was wearing a light-colored, almost yellow suit, and between the absence of a jacket and his twisting his torso to swing, his trouser snake was quite visible in HD. He's got some nice equipment (and I'm not talking golf clubs) but probably not the best idea to show it off so early on a Sunday morning.

In fact, when he did the weather in-studio Sunday at 6, he'd changed into a dark blue suit - I wonder if I wasn't the only one to notice him showing off his five wood.

Sorry I missed that! But here is the same suit when Jeff wore it the week before:

jeffspring.jpg

I recorded this suit ensemble to show that the man is actually capable of dressing nicely. I am so glad that you brought him up, because (though my first impression of him was that he was an acceptable dresser, but I think that was becuase he wore his best suit the first day) he needs some SERIOUS help in the wardrobe department.

Now, if he wasn't a young, nicely built good-looking guy it wouldn't be so bad; but he is and it is! His dressing so poorly is akin to taking a Waterford cut crystal punchbowl and wrapping it in an old newspaper.

1) Most of his suits are very cheap and fit poorly with lapels that are much too narrow.

2) Many of his shirts have narrow point collars that look bad with tie knots, I do not know where he buys them but they are certainly not found at any reputable menswear dealer.

3) His ties are generally absolutely AWFUL! The guy is clearly herterosexual and does not let his girlfriend or mother pick them out for him. Wide stripes in ugly colors, almost distractingly so.

The poor fit of his suits gets exascerbated by a problem that myself or no tailor can deal with. Has anyone else noticed his atrocious POSTURE?!?!?

effbadpasture.jpg

Note how his pelvis is actually pushed further forward than his nose and how hunched over he is...alomost like Ed Sullivan.

jeffbadpasture.jpg

If he doesn't get this fixed (any personal trainer, yoga instructor or chiropractor should be able to help), he is going to have some serious spinal problems as he ages. It also adds to hurting the line of his suits, which need as much help as possible.

Jeff, if this is passed on to you please understand that you are a GREAT talent and should go far-but you are now in the most competitive market in America which also happens to be the fashion capital-you need to start dressing the part. You obviously take great care of your body, now get some suits that will compliment it (the beige suit you wore on location is very nice, as previosuly mentioned). And when you stand all hunched over it subliminaly tells people that you are not confidant-not good for meteoroligist.

As I told another sartorial basket case earlier in this thread, the better stores will provide professional shoppers to assist you. Just stay away from Men's Wearhouse and any place that also sells lawn mowers.

Archived