San Diego News

tvtime07

While KFMB-TV has had a stranglehold on the HD news market in sunny San Diego, that's about to change. Beginning in September, the local ABC affiliate (KGTV) will begin airing its local newscasts in high-definition, and for those impatient souls, the local FOX affiliate (KSWB-TV) will be making the same switch on August 1st. Furthermore, KUSI-TV Channel 51 is expecting to take "everything on the channel, including local news broadcasts," to the high-def realm starting in February of next year. Seems like a few other cities could learn something from this one.
http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/07/11/san-diego-fox-abc-affiliates-taking-local-news-high-def/

Also,

McGraw-Hill Taps Brown as Broadcast President

KMGH Denver VP/GM Darrell K. Brown named president of McGraw-Hill Broadcasting.

KMGH Denver vice president and general manager Darrell K. Brown was named president of McGraw-Hill Broadcasting.

He succeeds the retiring Edward Quinn.

KMGH news director Byron Grandy moves up to station manager.

“Darrell brings to his new role strong leadership experience, deep expertise in the broadcasting industry and extensive knowledge of our local markets," McGraw-Hill president of information and media Glenn S. Goldberg said.

Brown got his start at McGraw-Hill at KGTV San Diego 25 years ago. He currently serves as vice chair of the ABC Television Affiliates Association's board of governors.

Besides KMGH and KGTV, McGraw-Hill owns WRTV Indianapolis, KERO Bakersfield, Calif. (all four are ABC affiliates), and three Azteca America affiliates.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6577635.html?industryid=47169

I wonder if this means anything for KGTV, I still remember those daily editorials Brown used to do and that "Leadership" slogan that they used to show-off, the station seemed so stable then, unlike now.

By chance, do any of you know how ratings here in San Diego? Union Tribune stopped doing them a few years ago...

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/07/11/san-diego-fox-abc-affiliates-taking-local-news-high-def/

Also,

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6577635.html?industryid=47169

I wonder if this means anything for KGTV, I still remember those daily editorials Brown used to do and that "Leadership" slogan that they used to show-off, the station seemed so stable then, unlike now.

By chance, do any of you know how ratings here in San Diego? Union Tribune stopped doing them a few years ago...

Hopefully, with the stepping down of Ed Quinn, KGTV will get back on track and maybe finally end this stupid 3 or 4 year standoff between the station and the union. As for ratings, KNSD usually wins in the morning. If I recall correctly, KFMB made great leaps ratings wise in the mornings during May Sweeps. That is because the absence of Lisa Lake on KGTV has really hurt them and allowed KFMB to make those gains. In the evenings, KFMB is #1 at 5, thanks to Mz. Oprah, and they usually win the 6:30 and 11pm news race with KNSD in 2nd. 10PM is usually won by KUSI, the station that caters to AARP audience(although, XETV did win its first May book in a while), nonetheless KUSI is the dominant force at Ten. I suspect that KSWB's relaunched 10pm news will make a dent at ten (mostly due to everyone's favorite anchor, Kathleen Bade).

Thanks for the quick response, the Lisa Lake buzz seems very dirty and quite odd as well, she seemed to be a likable personality - to be treating a talent veteran like her this doesn't seem right.

August will definitely be interesting with Fox 5 in the mix, I'm just curious how uber cool they are gonna be, their promos with that horny guy makes them quite hip and modern, looking forward to see what else is up their sleeves. Looking forward to Ms. Bade back on San Diego TV. Very classy.

• 2 weeks later...
XETV expands to the 11 o'clock hour with News, Sports, and Entertainment all in 30 minutes.

http://community.sandiego6.com/blogs/richards_blog/archive/2008/07/17/3211696.aspx

See the Trib didn't see this coming. I feel so sad for XETV losing FOX. I still hope they still plan on going to court. All in all, Kudos to the new 'San Diego 6' for adding the 11pm show.

See the Trib didn't see this coming. I feel so sad for XETV losing FOX. I still hope they still plan on going to court. All in all, Kudos to the new 'San Diego 6' for adding the 11pm show.

Here is what I don't get. Why should XETV take FOX to court? Back in March, when Tribune made the announcement of the switch, XETV came out and said that it was going to sue the FOX Corporation for breach of contract. According to channel 6, the affiliation agreement between XETV and FOX ran through July 2010. FOX alleges the agreement ended in July 2008. First, not to defend FOX Corp., but don't you think that FOX didn't do their homework first before they pulled the affiliation? They knew when the affiliation agreement ended, and like XETV's GM mentioned in his article, FOX decided NOT to renew their affiliation with them. FOX is/was not required to renew the affiliation with XETV. Tribune did not come into the picture until way later. The first rumors of the switch took place in back in Nov. of 2007, and it involved KUSI getting the FOX affiliation. Tribune was asked if they wanted FOX but, remember what Sam Zell said while at KPLR in St. Louis back in March? The old Tribune balked at the FOX affiliation and said that they were ok with the CW. So FOX continued to negotiate with KUSI, until Sam Zell found out and then his company pursued it and got the affiliation. I can't say that I feel bad for XETV, after all this is the same station that arranged for some of its staff to receive some cosmetic enhancements by a local business in exchange for some air time on the 10pm news. Their ratings were pretty bad for a FOX affiliate, and they were constantly getting beat by the indy station, KUSI.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note: I saw a new promo on KSWB and it shows the set construction taking place, but I couldn't see if it was the FOX O&O set in can.

Here is what I don't get. Why should XETV take FOX to court? Back in March, when Tribune made the announcement of the switch, XETV came out and said that it was going to sue the FOX Corporation for breach of contract. According to channel 6, the affiliation agreement between XETV and FOX ran through July 2010. FOX alleges the agreement ended in July 2008. First, not to defend FOX Corp., but don't you think that FOX didn't do their homework first before they pulled the affiliation? They knew when the affiliation agreement ended, and like XETV's GM mentioned in his article, FOX decided NOT to renew their affiliation with them. FOX is/was not required to renew the affiliation with XETV. Tribune did not come into the picture until way later. The first rumors of the switch took place in back in Nov. of 2007, and it involved KUSI getting the FOX affiliation. Tribune was asked if they wanted FOX but, remember what Sam Zell said while at KPLR in St. Louis back in March? The old Tribune balked at the FOX affiliation and said that they were ok with the CW. So FOX continued to negotiate with KUSI, until Sam Zell found out and then his company pursued it and got the affiliation. I can't say that I feel bad for XETV, after all this is the same station that arranged for some of its staff to receive some cosmetic enhancements by a local business in exchange for some air time on the 10pm news. Their ratings were pretty bad for a FOX affiliate, and they were constantly getting beat by the indy station, KUSI.

What my strong thoughts about this affiliate change was FOX didn't want to have ties to a station that's transmitted from Mexico (even though they have another station in the Rio Grande Valley that also have their transmitters in Mexico). Yes I saw the video of Zell's Presentation in St. Louis when he spilled the beans that they were getting FOX. I started to feel bad about XETV losing FOX when I read that they were a FOX affil since Day one and all. Yes they might've had some rating woes, but they were still a strong FOX Affil. I felt that FOX did the 'Were's Taking FOX away from you, Channel 6. So Deal With It' maneuver.

I really thought they would fight the affiliation in Court and at least be Independent, but then we heard the news that they're going to be The CW, I was even more pissed than when I heard Channel 69 was taking FOX off of Channel 6's arms. I dunno if it's the 'doing what the coporate master tells you to do' mantra because I'm not liking Channel 69's new digs. Forget call it the new FOX 5.

I still think that FOX breached their contract. And even if FOX didn't want to renew their contract with Channel 6, they should've let the contract play out and let FOX stay on Channel 6 until 2010. But were coming to a time when the analog cut-off is about to happen in the U.S. next year and XETV isn't required until 2015 (at least) in that part of Mexico (with the entire country in 2022) to cut off their analogs. So in my mind, everything had to come behind XETV's back until the news was delivered in March.

I dunno if Channel 6 or Channel 69 will be better stations after the switch, but If I would ever lived in SD, I would watch Channel 51 for the news at 10pm.

I dunno if Channel 6 or Channel 69 will be better stations after the switch, but If I would ever lived in SD, I would watch Channel 51 for the news at 10pm.

No, you wouldn't. You'd watch about five minutes of any KUSI newscast and find their retirement home on-air talent completely unwatchable, and you'd change the channel to XETV, the current KNSD-produced 10:00pm show on KSWB, or even KTLA.

While I'm all for increased competition (I still feel the more stations doing news in a market, the better), I don't know how much of a dent this new 11:00pm newscast on XETV will have on the four other stations already doing news at that hour.

No, you wouldn't. You'd watch about five minutes of any KUSI newscast and find their retirement home on-air talent completely unwatchable, and you'd change the channel to XETV, the current KNSD-produced 10:00pm show on KSWB, or even KTLA.

KUSI's demographics are more older and conservative. Also, they been using the same music, Frank Gari's The One and Only, since 1997.

Speaking of "retirement home", for those of you who didn't know, John Coleman (KUSI's weekday weathercaster) lives in the Rancho Bernardo retirement community, which is located north of MCAS Miramar.

You don't know what I like or don't like. I might like the boring, retirement home-style newscast that Channel 51 has to offer. Anything is better than the flashy graphics that attracts the younger crowd. John Coleman use to work in Chicago. That's a giant plus right there weather-wise. Even if their on-air talent is old, their on-air look is old and all the other elements at 51 is old, that doesn't mean I wouldn't watch the station.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note: I saw a new promo on KSWB and it shows the set construction taking place, but I couldn't see if it was the FOX O&O set in can.

Maybe it's the Fox O&O set. I think they may have an HD newscast where the field cameras are 4:3 since they may want to recycle their 4:3 SD cameras. Could Tribune be buying new Field cameras for the new Fox 5. It also looks like KSWB will change their call sign. They still refer the new fox 5 as KSWB.

It also looks like KSWB will change their call sign. They still refer the new fox 5 as KSWB.

I haven't seen, heard or read any news about Channel 69 changing their calls (at least not as of yet since the affiliation change will happen seven days from today). Should they do change it, I wish they go back to KTTY.

I vote for KFSD-TV/DT. KFSD would be appropriate for the San Diego market. KFSD means Fox San Diego. It was KGTV's first call sign but KFSD fits in so well with the new Fox 5.

I just saw a new San Diego 6 promo. Very nice I should say. Shows XETV over the years. From the beginning, Fox 6, and finally San Diego 6. Looked very nice I should say. They are really advertising it but are pretty much rehashing the same promos. Still showing promos for fox programming. This will confuse some viewers. Nice seeing the history of XETV.

The IPG also says that Fox 5 Morning news is a 1 hour and 3 hour broadcast. Fox 5 Morning news at 5-6 AM and then Fox 5 Morning news at 6-9 AM. Who knows why.

I just saw a new San Diego 6 promo. Very nice I should say. Shows XETV over the years. From the beginning, Fox 6, and finally San Diego 6. Looked very nice I should say. They are really advertising it but are pretty much rehashing the same promos. Still showing promos for fox programming. This will confuse some viewers. Nice seeing the history of XETV.

They still have to show the FOX promos for upcoming shows, as they're still a FOX affil until Next Friday. They aren't going to stop airing the FOX promos, even though they're be a CW affil. I don't think it will confuse many people (maybe some people will when the launch happens) as both Channel 6 & 69 have been heavily airing promos plugging their new networks.

I think the only good thing out of this is that KSND 39 don't have to worry about producing the 10pm news on Channel 69 any longer after next Thursday Night's show.

I think the only good thing out of this is that KSND 39 don't have to worry about producing the 10pm news on Channel 69 any longer after next Thursday Night's show.

Well KNSD wasn't doing the newscast for free, they were getting paid for it. I think that they might be a little worried, seeing as the producing of the KSWB newscast brought in some extra revenue for 7/39. Plus, I think that the costs for KNSD in producing the KSWB newscast might have been minimal. Most of the stories are recycled from the 6pm newscast, and the talent that they use are under contract by KNSD. So it's not like there was no incentive to do it, it was a nice little chunk of change.

Well, another San Diego tv news change is about to happen in the next few weeks. Stan Miller, the main anchor at KFMB-TV has been absent from the air for more than a month. Recently, KFMB said that Stan Miller was on "Medical Leave" and that he was due back on August 28th. However, we all know that anytime that the word "Leave" is mentioned to describe a news personalities disappearance, it usually means that they are not coming back. The rumors surrounding Stan this time, are the same ones that followed him when he left KUSI in 2004. He left KUSI because he was getting burned out. This time around Miller wanted to cut back his hours and according to him he was getting "burned out, physically, mentally and emotionally" and that KFMB management that they would cut back his hours to zero. Miller is a pastor at a local church, the funniest part of all this is that during a sermon this past Sunday he nonetheless spilled the beans and announced that he was not coming back to channel 8 and was looking for work. I'm pretty sure that when the brass at KFMB finds out, they won't be too happy to hear that he is making them look bad. We will see what happens. I bet that he winds up at KSWB. Ahh, San Diego tv news. Gotta love it.

Forgot to add that the sermon and his "announcement" can be found at:http://www.maranathachapel.org/audio_video/service_webcasts/archived_webcasts/sunday.html

Click on the July 20th link

Well I'll be damned' date=' I finish talking about the guy (KFMB's Stan Miller) and a few minutes later this pops up on XETV's newscast...[/quote']

Is he running for office?

Archived