Male Fashion Disasters: Phil Lipoff

SuitSnob

Here is the first of what I hope to be many posts illustrating Businesswear "Don'ts" from our local news personalities. Let's start with the new kind on the block, Phil Lipoff at WABC. Let me say first that generally he is a terrific dresser, as illustrated by this first picture:

Lipoff1.jpg

Note the Full Windsor Knot with medium-spread collar. Male anchors have to be very aware of thier choice of tie knot and collar, due to the fact that the camera is so closely focused on the upper-third of the body.

Unfortunately (as I actually saw someone else note on another site) it seems that the young and handsome Mr. Lipoff has a few ultra-wide spread collars in his wardrobe and has worn several this week as illustrated here:

lipoff2.jpg

As previously noted, Mr. Lipoff is quite attractive and fairly young for an anchor and I am sure that is why he was brought in to this, the nation's largest TV market for morning news-but this is the collar and tie of a very stodgy old man. This look is simply awful, look at how the knot hangs so low and away from the collar; it should be drawing attention to and framing his face (as a good tie knot should) but instead one's eye is drawn straight down and away. This is the kind of shirt/ collar combo that Reagan used to wear, though Regan was 1) old and 2) had a wider face and neck.

Gentlemen who find themselves needing to look their best in business or on camera: Don't let this happen to you.

Class dismissed!

Why are you talking about this though? I don't get why you have to discuss what they wear, isn't the way they present the news and how they do the the job is what counts? Never thought how they dressed to the broadcast was a real issue here... As long as the person is wearing a tie and a suit thats pretty much all there is to it...

-Vlad

Why are you talking about this though? I don't get why you have to discuss what they wear, isn't the way they present the news and how they do the the job is what counts? Never thought how they dressed to the broadcast was a real issue here... As long as the person is wearing a tie and a suit thats pretty much all there is to it...

-Vlad

Well it could be said that a steak at Sizzler is the same as a steak at Peter Lugers-Steak is Steak. But some people just know better.

And as far as commenting about what they wear-then should we also stop conversatiosn about their hairstyles and changes in sets and logos?

I'm George Zimmer, Founder and CEO of the Men's Wearhouse.

My fine suits fit anchors of all shapes, sizes and budgets.

If your station is going HD, please consider the Super 140s Wool Suit to make your anchor really stand out.

image230.jpg

You're going to like the way you look. I guarantee it.

-Vlad

Wait. Hold on. Stop.

What?

Aren't you the one who created threads about reporters on WABC signing off from reports saying "ABC 7 News" instead of "Eyewitness News" or "Channel 7 News"?

We have people bitching and moaning about typos and themes and set colors and bad logos, but dare we comment on how someone dresses?

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?

What the hell is wrong with you people?

SuitSnob = TVNT's experiment of what the child of Mr. Blackwell and Joan Rivers would be.

God bless ya!

Damn right!! Heavier on the Joan genes though!!!

This is what I get when I read TVNT at 1:54 in the morning. Maybe I do need to get some sleep...

I'm George Zimmer, Founder and CEO of the Men's Wearhouse.

My fine suits fit anchors of all shapes, sizes and budgets.

If your station is going HD, please consider the Super 140s Wool Suit to make your anchor really stand out.

image230.jpg

You're going to like the way you look. I guarantee it.

And don't Mr. Zimmer's snappy ads just make the late-night news broadcasts so enjoyable?

Zim, I'm with you on Lalaine, but give Popeil some credit. I mean he's a pimp! Anyone who rolls with Steve Bryant, like Ron does, is good peeps in my book! ;D

THE ZIMMER HAS SPOKEN!

georgezimmerlh0.jpg

post. of. the. year.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after being sick last weekend he had on two diffrent outfits on this monring's broadcast-one at the anchor desk and one in a segement previously recorded. He looked absolutely perfect in each-let's hope he got rid of the offending shirts!

Archived