$1 Million Wheel Of Fortune?

CircleSeven

Okay, so I watch Wheel of Fortune last night. You know, they're showing reruns for the whole summer. So, I saw this promo before the third toss-up. They stated that they're going to have a new bonus round for their 26th season of Wheel (which will begin on 9/8/08) and someone could win $1,000,000.

My question is what is Sony thinking about giving away all that loot?

Here's the promo.

[yt]w9fRXeb-pkw[/yt]

Big dick. I still say you have a better chance of having a cow walk into the studio and crapping on camera 2.

Price is Right has had a million $$ chance for a few prime time specials. I believe it has been one, once. I could be wrong. - Even so, that is still not a good percentage to claim.

The latest round of prime time specials, with Drew, tweaked the format. Previously the million would be given away on the wheel. Now, one random pricing game per show is designated the "Million Dollar Game", with the money being awarded if certain conditions are met. Additionally, if the contestant gets $1000 or closer to the value of the Showcase, they win the $1M.

Since the new format, they've given away the million quite a few times.

Big dick. I still say you have a better chance of having a cow walk into the studio and crapping on camera 2.

Price is Right has had a million $$ chance for a few prime time specials. I believe it has been one, once. I could be wrong. - Even so, that is still not a good percentage to claim.

Yeah, from the first 6 Primetime TPIRs (which aired on Feb-Apr), they were 3 $1 Million winners. Two from the Showcase round and one from a pricing game. At first, contestants who bid within $1,000, would get both showcases and $1 mil. But since it was too easy to get the million like that, they changed the amount to $500 for the second batch of specials (aired late April-May). They should've went with the $500 rule when they first started. EDIT: The $1 million pricing game rule didn't change and no one won the million on the second batch of shows.

But I also wished they would've kept the previous rules to get the million when Bob was hosting, when a player spins the wheel for that mil. To me, that's way more exciting.

As for Wheel, they haven't stated much about how the contestants can get a million. But we'll know sooner or later. I still think $1 million too much for Wheel.

My original point still stands, considering the amount of money one is talking about with the nighttime showcases, to miss it by only $500, is pretty damn hard. I believe the cow comment still applies.

My question is what is Sony thinking about giving away all that loot?

Expected stiffer time-slot competition from "Deal or No Deal," which is slated to premiere in half-hour syndication this fall (albeit without Howie Mandel).

WOF in Australia had a $1M version:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Million_Dollar_Wheel_of_Fortune

Scroll down to where it says "Differences from previous versions". Possible clue as to how they'll do it in the US?

Hopefully the US will not adapt these convoluted rules. I'm not particularly fond of the current "Wild Card" simply for the reason that it is not "banked" with the money (and other prizes) and can be lost later on for landing on a bankrupt.

Introducing a similar million dollar wedge concept (in the main game), I don't think, would go over too well: I mean, who wants to do all the work - spin, land on the million dollar wedge, get a letter, solve. Then, later, be a lock to get to the bonus round only to land on a bankrupt right before "final spin" and lose the million dollar wedge and, thus, the ultimate payoff? The "bankrupt/$10,000/bankrupt" and "$10,000 Mystery" wedges are a bit different and are more palpable to lose and they are lost only if the player lands on a bankrupt during that round, otherwise it is banked with the rest of the winnings. If a contestant lands on the million dollar wedge, but doesn't make it to the bonus round - so be it - but to lose the opportunity at the end (after having made it to the bonus round) would be an insult.

A trade off may be an increase in the frequency of the $100,000 cards on the bonus wheel (to make up for instances such as that or instances when the wedge is never landed on).

(Updated after I wrote the above): Well hells bells, if you watch close enough to the promo there is, indeed, a "bankrupt/million dollar/bankrupt" wedge one of the contestants is holding.

Shoots that theory all to hell.

I believe these are new game rules for the Million Dollar Wheel.

The contestant has to land on the Million Dollar wedge, you solve the puzzle for that round, avoid hitting any bankrupts for the whole entire game and of course win the game to go to the bonus round. And they have to spin the wheel and land on the million again, which make the odds in winning the top prize very slim.

I don't know about any of you but I don't think concept would settle through well with contestants that has to do every step to get the million. I'm not saying this method won't work but if someone get so close to the mill, and a very difficult puzzle appears at the very end, and a contestant loses, then that person would be ever so pissed.

This may get me curious. When I was younger, I watched Wheel and Jeopardy almost religiously, but haven't watched regularly in years. (I taped a few older Wheel of Fortune games on GSN during their Merv Griffin tribute).

Archived