Larry's gone too.

scranton

Larry Mendte has been released from CBS 3: Here is the statement from CBS 3 and is on their website:

PHILADELPHIA (CBS 3) ¯ CBS 3 announced Monday Larry Mendte has been released from his contract, effective immediately. Mendte is currently under investigation by the U.S. Attorney's Office and has not appeared on CBS 3 since May 29, 2008.

The decision to terminate Mendte's employment was based on an independent investigation conducted by CBS.

Mendte had been co-anchor of CBS 3's Eyewitness News at 6 and 11 p.m. since September 2003.

(© MMVIII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Chris will end up getting Larry's spot. When Alycia was fired, Susan Barnett filled in and ended up getting the job. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened with Chris. I hope he does get the spot. I always enjoy watching him and Susan anchor together. By the way, does anyone know when Angela is coming back? Susan does a great job at 4, but I miss Angela.

Un-freaking-believable.

I have my reasons for standing up for Larry. Above all else, this whole situation just reeks of petty revenge. It is these types of middle-school caliber games that is all too rampant in this industry and it is yet another reason why viewers, too dumb to understand internal politics and realize both sides of an issue, choose to turn off TV news and watch VH1 caliber programming.

Those of you who know me on a level beyond this board understand that these games aren't JUST happening in TV newsrooms, they are ALSO happening in the college classrooms and training grounds--and this mindset of knocking everybody down in your path just to be popular and be on the teevee is being injected into the new J-school graduates; the reporters of tomorrow. THAT is dangerous. THAT will be what kills this industry.

Think about what's to come, now. If the feds clear him of any wrongdoing or he beats whatever charges are coming, that's *TWO* lawsuits CBS3 will have to face. What CBS just saved in O&O cuts they may now lose in fighting these two anchors from wrongful termination and potentially paying them out.

There is a victim in all of this mess, and I think a lot of you are very, very wrong in believing it is Alycia Lane.

I hope there's a special place in Hell reserved for her.

-T

Chris or Ukee. Both would be good choices. Chris deserves a high slot though, he was never #1 when he worked in Boston.

That he does not. If anything Ukee deserves the chair as he has paid his dues through the nose in this market. Chris just carpetbagged his way in here and this market won't accept him in that spot.

I see Chris getting the slot and if that's the case, if I were Ukee I'd def flip shit at the station. This would be the third straight time he was up for the top slot and not get. Him and Pat Ciarrochi have the most tenure at the station and (if you ask me) the only likeable people there. They should be the ones being consider for the top spots not these fresh out of college zit-faced types that have the personality of a flea.

Whaaaaaa?

Of all people who could appreciate the illegality of misappropriation of another's property. I agree that the punishment was a little harsh, but consider that all the details aren't public yet.

Un-freaking-believable.

There is a victim in all of this mess, and I think a lot of you are very, very wrong in believing it is Alycia Lane.

I hope there's a special place in Hell reserved for her.

-T

nobody forced Larry to secretly look into a colleague's email.

I stand by my statement, and here's why.

There's no evidence thus far in a court of law to suggest Mr. Mendte committed any wrongdoing. Yes, we have a federal investigation, and that's serious, but until a complaint is filed, I think it's very early to pass judgment. In contrast, Alycia had been *arrested*, and a complaint was filed. She's a free woman and the charges will be dismissed with conditions, but the formal accusation was there--and in my opinion, while both this and Alycia's scuffle are crimes, I still believe that smacking a police officer--a figure of authority--is more frowned upon by society.

A lot of you are assuming that, just because it's reported in the press, it automatically makes what we know or what we think we know true. It's kinda like that old saying that if it's said enough times, whether it's true or not, it just becomes true. Most of the time, this "inside chatter" reeks of opportunistic, jealous, low-tier workers who only wish they had the fame and success their anchor co-workers enjoy. Hence, anchors are an easy target--they are what those employees wanted to be.

Like I've been saying for a long time now--how will all of you react if Larry is either cleared of wrongdoing or beats the charges? You all seemed to suddenly give Alycia the benefit of the doubt despite her incredible amount of baggage once this news broke, and I sincerely hope you will do the same for Larry should a similar outcome occur.

Also keep in mind..."internal investigations" do not follow the same protocol that local, state, and federal authorities must obey. These types of investigations can sometimes be incredibly broad and intrusive. They don't necessarily have to follow their own HR rules. They don't necessarily have to follow what laws must be obeyed. Essentially, someone who doesn't like you can just build up a file and then nail you for cause when the time's right. Nice, huh?

All I'm trying to convey is...consider everything you can before forming an opinion. I have...and I stick by my original conclusion.

-T

I stand by my statement, and here's why.

All I'm trying to convey is...consider everything you can before forming an opinion. I have...and I stick by my original conclusion.

-T

I doubt MOST people did not consider everything before forming an opinion on Alycia.

And there is no way you have either. You might be considering everything on Larry but you certainily didn't on Alycia because you don't know everything about it. Nobody knows the whole NYC case but the folks involved. So you did not consider everything.

I would enjoy Ukee in the evenings, but I like him in the mornings even better. He and Liz are great together. I also think Pat would do well in the evenings, but I think I heard her say once that she prefers to do the news at noon, and I don't blame her. I like her and Ukee at noon together.

I think Tom Negovan would do well at Channel 3. I was a fan of his work and was sad to see him go. Hopefully, KYW will give him another chance to be an anchor. Of course, it's the station's decision and not mine. But, if it was, I'd give him a chance. He was such a great talent.

Archived