Huh...that was an interesting commercial.

WXmanTim

Anyone catch the BC Powder commercial that aired about 10:20 (CT) tonight during the Fox/BCS Fiesta Bowl coverage?

It focused on this "associate producer" at a TV station. The logo of a TV station (a circle-2) was semi-visible in the background as she explains why she can't stop for minor back pain and how she always has her BC powder handy.

Anyway, at the end she says "My name is Janita Moore (or whatever her name was) and I'm from Nashville, TN"

Now, the circle-2 logo was not *the* WKRN circle-2 (the one in the commercial had an orange-ish tint to the numeral) but her job description combined with the logo and the "Nashville" statement makes me think that she works for WKRN and they had to know she was "starring" in the commercial.

Mind you, those of us on this board (and living outside of Nashville) are probably the only ones who would recognize the connection, but it brings up and interesting question: aren't news producers held to the same journalistic standards as the on-air talent (ie: not endorsing commercial products)?

I doubt any person on the street could actually give you the name of a single news producer in the history of news. Heck, they couldn't even tell you what the job entails. Hell, I would bet there are people working in your very building who don't even know then name of any of the producers who also are their co-workers.

That should answer the question.

True..but that wasn't my point.

Ethics was the issue the commercial brought up. And, whether she is still employed with a TV station in Nashville (WKRN or any other station, but like I said the "background" images seemed to indicate WKRN).

If she is employed at the one of the stations, was she given the greenlight to appear in the spot by her superiors? And if she was, how would she and/or they handle a situation where a negative (or positive, for that matter) story involving BC Powder (which is heavily advertised and used in the southeast US) came across the assignment desk?

Producers are as important as reporters in putting a story and/or a newscast together and should be held to the same standards as the on-camera people.

In the commercial, the lady did mention she was from Nashville.

matt.

I don't think it would have jumped out at me if not for the fact there was a "2" in the background and her being from Nashville. If it had been 7, 3 or any other number combined with the Nashville tag, I would be more inclined to say it was a artistic license or actor portrayal.

It could still be actor portrayal, but if she (and by extension, WKRN) allowed BC Powder to use her name it still is, in my mind, a breach of ethics.

In the commercial, the lady did mention she was from Nashville.

matt.

I don't think it would have jumped out at me if not for the fact there was a "2" in the background and her being from Nashville. If it had been 7, 3 or any other number combined with the Nashville tag, I would be more inclined to say it was a artistic license or actor portrayal.

It could still be actor portrayal, but if she (and by extension, WKRN) allowed BC Powder to use her name it still is, in my mind, a breach of ethics.

Hell, I've read so much about how crappy WKRN is, that I am surprised that every employee there didn't appear in the damn commercial... :D

Archived