Mark Suppelsa's move to WGN

CircleSeven

How boring. I wanna see Mark back at NBC5. Or as part of the new CBS 2. Or even shaking things up at ABC 7 - he and Cheryl Burton would make a great team.

I'm thinking Mark's using WGN as leverage in an all but certain bidding war. Maybe he will end up there, they clearly want him (although I'm surprised their considering replacing Steve Sanders on the 9). But I know Mark's goal was always a 10 o'clock anchor chair.

Back to WGN, it's now certain their launching an afternoon/evening newscast. I wonder if Diann Burns and/or Mary Ann Childers could figure-in there.?

I don't think Mark and Allison Payne would make a good team. I just don't see it happening. If Steve anchors at 5 or 5:30, I think he would be good alongside Mary Ann Childers if she were to be hired. I think Mark and Diann Burns might make a good team at 9, but I'm not sure if it is realistic since I don't think they are to get rid of Allison Payne anytime soon.

I agree that Mark should go back to WMAQ. I think he would do great alongside Allison Rosati when Warner retires, which would probably be in about a few years.

I would have liked to see Mark Suppelsa at any other station but WGN. Their current team has been working for them for a long time, it will be weird to see someone else next to Allison Payne.

On the other hand, I do like to see Bob Sirott working with Allison Rosati, or even Dick Johnson filling in. I know that he was demoted from the morning anchor spot but he is a great anchor and veteran of Channel 7.

It'd be interesting to see where Diann Burns and Mary Ann Childers wind up. I'd like to see them go to the same station.

My thinking is they are going to hire Mark for their evening newscast and he will (when Steve Retires or whatever) end up replacing Steve. Allison's health has not been the greatest and WGN knows that. Execs could be making way for new anchor teams to succed both.

Would be interesting if Diann Burns shows up at WGN.

About Bob Sirott. I NEVER liked him! When he was paired up with Allison when Warner was sick for months, I started liking him. He is quick witted and keeps the newscasts interesting. I think he will be the one most likely to replace Warner if he retires. That will be a good team.

I can see WGN hiring him for their 5/5:30 newscast. They would need a big name to help draw in viewers and he would be the ideal person. But like others have said, I would have liked to see him at WMAQ. Also, given that he has an early morning radio job, I can't see him doing a 9 or 10 PM newscast anytime soon.

I live in LA I cant believe they are thinking of replacing Steve Sanders; I watched him over twenty years ago when he anchored the Midday News since the 80's (in the days of the 4 Super stations of KTLA, WOR(WWOR),WTBS and WGN) And Rick Rosenthal anchored the Nine o'clock news) I thought WGN was doing great. Not to say Mark Suppelsa would not A great addition to WGN ( I never seen anchor NBC 5 News being that I am LA)he might. KTLA is trying to get its footing after a disastrous 3 years Which saw the Deaths of Larry McCormick,Hal Fishman the defection of Carlos Amezcua to Fox 11. I am starting to wonder what other Tribune stations that are in trouble:WPIX, FOX 40 in Sacramento, FOX 59 in Indianapolis,ABC 26 in New Orleans, CW5 IN San Diego ;etc.? I hope not.

Also, given that he has an early morning radio job, I can't see him doing a 9 or 10 PM newscast anytime soon.

Why not? Mark has done the morning news on 101.9FM The Mix in the past while being 9PM anchor at FOX Chicago. NBC 5's Meteorologist Brant Miller is the morning DJ on Oldies 94.7FM (previously morning weatherman on US99.5) at the same time as being evening meteorologist on NBC 5. Don Schwenneker is the current morning weatherman on US99.5 at the same time as being 5PM meteorologist on CBS 2.

Trust me, the lifestyle of TV personalities contains very little sleep. Mark has made it clear in the past that he's wanted to do both radio and TV at the same time.

Lately, I've been seeing alot of interesting speculation going around here based on Feder's columns.. Unfortunately, "the whole story" hasn't been released yet (even Feder doesn't know it).

Steve Sanders would be moving up the Chain to behind the screens where the News director and so on is and it's in that story from Chicago Sun Times.

How about Robert Jordan and Jackie Bang or the people who work WGN News at Noon at 5pm?

How about some of the Anchors on the Morning Newscast on WGN WB?

Who should do Weather at 5pm Ramsey?

Payne can stay at 9pm if means taking time off once in awhile.

I've never really understood what the big deal is about Mark Suppelsa. He seems ok but not anything special. Am I missing something?

I don't know why WGN would be interested in Diann Burns. They don't need the negativity that comes with her and she obviously didn't work any wonders for CBS 2 News.

Hopefully Steve Sanders doesn't get taken off the 9

From the WGN Morning News Blog by Larry Potash:

"SUPPELSA?

If you saw the media columns in the papers this week, you might’ve read the stories speculating that Mark Suppelsa is coming to WGN, and that the newsroom is “giddy” about it. I can’t confirm the report, because when I go to the news director’s office, he always hides under the desk and pretends like he’s not there. But, I can confirm that upon hearing the rumor, Paul Konrad and Micah Materre embraced with tears of happiness; Dean Richard urinated his khaki Dockers in the middle of the newsroom; and Robin is tightening her corsett.

This is a competitive industry. The idea of a new anchorman coming to WGN has the male broadcasters here gelling their hair and whitening their teeth; in fact, Tom Negovan and I have pitched in to share a series of Invisalign trays.

Let me just take this moment to emphasize that Steve Sanders is one of the nicest guys you’ll ever meet, along with Tom Skilling, Rich King, Dan Roan and Bob Jordan. And if you’ve seen our show, you know I’m not just blowing smoke for the WGN PR machine. Those guys are “old school.”

Whatever changes happen at WGN, we can always count on 7 minutes of weather featuring 36 computer slides; expired milk and acid coffee at Café Nueve; and no Christmas bonus."

I still don't think he's headed to WGN. And let's not forget, last time Mark made a move (when he quit Channel 5), Feder said he would land at Channel 2. Didn't happen of course, and I think Feed's got it wrong again this time. We'll see, this week or next...

Feder wouldn't be the only one that got it wrong. Phil Rosenthal (Chicago Tribune) has said that Suppelsa is likely going to WGN as well. We'll have to see how things pan out after Tuesday.

I still think that if he goes to WGN, he will be anchoring the new evening newscast for some time. There's no reason to split up Steve and Allison (despite whatever health problems they have) given they have been at the top of the ratings for years. Wouldn't make sense to change what works.

I've never really understood what the big deal is about Mark Suppelsa. He seems ok but not anything special. Am I missing something?

I don't know why WGN would be interested in Diann Burns. They don't need the negativity that comes with her and she obviously didn't work any wonders for CBS 2 News.

I agree. I dont see anything in Suppelsa. He doesn't have something that he needs.

In Feders column today

Now that the right-to-match clause in Suppelsa's Fox contract has lapsed, he is believed to be close to joining Tribune Co.-owned WGN-Channel 9 as anchor of its 9 p.m. newscast.

Steve Sanders, who's been the anchor of the 9 p.m. newscast with Allison Payne for 15 years, is expected to be offered a new contract as Channel 9's noon news anchor.

Steve Sanders' date=' who's been the anchor of the 9 p.m. newscast with Allison Payne for 15 years, is expected to be offered a new contract as Channel 9's noon news anchor. [/i']

Then what about Tom Negovan, current male noon anchor? And I wonder who's gonna front the upcoming late afternoon/early evening newscast when it launches this summer (if that's still on track).

Then what about Tom Negovan' date=' current male noon anchor? And I wonder who's gonna front the upcoming late afternoon/early evening newscast when it launches this summer (if that's still on track).[/quote']

KYW has some freed up payroll now.. Maybe they'll take Tom Negovan back..

In Feders column today

Now that the right-to-match clause in Suppelsa's Fox contract has lapsed, he is believed to be close to joining Tribune Co.-owned WGN-Channel 9 as anchor of its 9 p.m. newscast.

Steve Sanders, who's been the anchor of the 9 p.m. newscast with Allison Payne for 15 years, is expected to be offered a new contract as Channel 9's noon news anchor.

Why doesn't Suppelsa just anchor the noon news?? Last I knew WGN News at 9pm beat WFLD where Suppelsa was an anchor. If Steve Sanders is still on top at 9pm, why change it with Suppelsa anchoring? It's not like he took WFLD's 9pm newscast to the top of the ratings...I don't get it.

Just like NBC wanting to put Conan on the Tonight Show and take Jay Leno off next year. They are fools for messing with a show that is #1. I say if Conan hosts the Tonight Show, the ratings won't stay #1!

Just like NBC wanting to put Conan on the Tonight Show and take Jay Leno off next year. They are fools for messing with a show that is #1. I say if Conan hosts the Tonight Show, the ratings won't stay #1!

Several years ago, Leno wanted to retire and pass that torch to Conan. But recently, he's having second thoughts about retiring. Yes, NBC is ready to put Conan on at 11:35pm, next year. But hey, there's always Letterman!

Why doesn't Suppelsa just anchor the noon news?? Last I knew WGN News at 9pm beat WFLD where Suppelsa was an anchor. If Steve Sanders is still on top at 9pm, why change it with Suppelsa anchoring? It's not like he took WFLD's 9pm newscast to the top of the ratings...I don't get it.

Excellent point...this isn't the first time I wondered WTF is going through Greg Caputo's mind...bring Suppelsa to anchor the noon show w/ Micah, remove Tom Negovan as anchor, but keep him as a reporter @ 9 and get rid of Antwan Lewis...he isn't Chicago market material at all, or put him on the morning zoo show doing fluff, he'd be good at that!

Channel 7 is Celebrating 60 Years on Television. WABC will celebrate on August 10th, WLS will celebrate on September 17th and WXYZ will celebrate on October 9th.

It is too bad ABC had to sell WXYZ-one of its original ABC owned and operated stations in 1985 due to station ownership rules at the time. Today it would be "ABC 7 Action News" and "ABC 7 Detroit".

• 2 weeks later...

It's official. Mark Suppelsa is going to be on WGN News. And they are expanding big time, with more news midday and in the evenings. Steve Sanders will join the midday news and Suppelsa will anchor at 530 and 9 with Allison Payne. Tom Negovan shifts to reporting.

It's about time. What a surprise. It will be fun to watch Allison and Mark try to get comfortable while Skilling lollipops through the weather. Also, I heard that morning news guy Konrad is out the door at WGN. Management is pissed at him for something.

Archived