Hurricane Season 2008

Guest cfif

Guest cfif

Figured this would be good for all you weather folks here....discuss the 2008 Atlantic hurricane season here, post screencaps of hurricane coverage, etc.

I'm also curious about what your local stations are doing for hurricane season. Naturally, in hurricane alley down here all the stations had specials.....the stations are also heavily promoting their "supremacy" in covering hurricanes, as I'm sure others along the Gulf and Atlantic coasts are doing.

We have a tropical storm already, Arthur. For reference, here's the list of names:

Arthur

Bertha

Cristobal

Dolly

Edouard

Fay (active)

• Gustav

• Hanna

• Ike

• Josephine

• Kyle

• Laura

• Marco

• Nana

• Omar

• Paloma

• Rene

• Sally

• Teddy

• Vicky

• Wilfred

I'll sticky this.

please you sound like Denis. Even if a storm "threatened" you have about a week to give a crap. unless they form in the Gulf, about 200 miles away, then you're toast. Other than that...

Figured this would be good for all you weather folks here....discuss the 2008 Atlantic hurricane season here, post screencaps of hurricane coverage, etc.

I'm also curious about what your local stations are doing for hurricane season. Naturally, in hurricane alley down here all the stations had specials.....the stations are also heavily promoting their "supremacy" in covering hurricanes, as I'm sure others along the Gulf and Atlantic coasts are doing.

We have a tropical storm already, Arthur. For reference, here's the list of names:

Arthur (active)

• Bertha

• Cristobal

• Dolly

• Edouard

• Fay

• Gustav

• Hanna

• Ike

• Josephine

• Kyle

• Laura

• Marco

• Nana

• Omar

• Paloma

• Rene

• Sally

• Teddy

• Vicky

• Wilfred

I'll sticky this.

Bit of a Hispanic flavor in the name choices.

• 3 weeks later...
TS Bertha has formed in the Atlantic.

2008_02L_5-day_track.gif

Looks like it won't amount to much.

you know damn well---Denis is smoking right now, Linda is vibrating, Dellegato is running around with hid head cut-off, Jerve is sleeping, and TSP is wondering who is going to cover the 24 hour schedule if the storm were to come here

all that and the storm is a week away, if at all

I'm not a weather expert but it would likely be extratropical by then right?

I'll stop being a lurker and actually contribute something.

It's hard to tell if it will be extratropical or not. It just depends on the kind of system it decides to be. Its track is defined by the Bermuda High to the North East and a "trough" coming off the US. The trough should sweep the storm to the North Atlantic. When that trough hits the storm will determine how fast it curves to the North. If it stalls for a little bit, Bertha will continue more toward the North West.

Is that too much? :)

Bertha will be considered a tropical system throughout its life-cycle. The defining characteristics of a Tropical or Extra-tropical system is where, and when, it developed.

Generally, any low pressure system that forms over the warm-water Atlantic basin (including the Caribbean Sea, Gulf of Mexico and parts of the North Atlantic between June and December) is considered tropical. Despite its eventual path, the system will retain its tropical designation. During the record-breaking 2005 hurricane season, Hurricane Vince made it to just west of Portugal (!) before beginning to die and making landfall as a minimal tropical storm (!!).

While a tropical system can be formed from continental 'cold-core' lows that move off the coast into warmer waters, upper-level dynamics during hurricane season usually prevent this from occurring (summertime upper-level dynamics generally keep cold-core systems from reaching any further south than the upper-midwest, though there are exceptions).

During late fall and winter, however, cut-off cold-core (continental) lows can take on tropical characteristics if they form in the right areas (generally along coastal waters of the Carolinas which are still warm due to the presence of the Gulf Stream and remaining heat from the summer). Because they are still considered "cold-core" they are not designated as "tropical storms" but as the aforementioned "extra-tropical" system.

True; however tropical cyclones can indeed take on cold-core characteristics once they move far enough north to interact with those upper-level winds.

http://ams.confex.com/ams/27Hurricanes/techprogram/paper_108574.htm

The position and wind forecasts at the bottom of the forecast discussion for a particular storm will say 'extratropical' if it's forecast to make the transition.

I'm going to be a dork and follow up my own reply for the sake of illustration:

WTNT42 KNHC 170837

TCDAT2

TROPICAL STORM BERTHA DISCUSSION NUMBER 57

NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL022008

500 AM EDT THU JUL 17 2008

NORTHWESTERLY SHEAR APPEARS TO BE TAKING ITS TOLL ON BERTHA AS THE

REMAINING THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY IS LIMITED TO THE EAST AND

SOUTHEAST OF THE CENTER. THE LATEST DVORAK INTENSITY ESTIMATES ARE

45 KT AND A RECENT ASCAT PASS SUGGESTS THAT BERTHA'S WINDS HAVE

INDEED DECREASED. THE INITIAL INTENSITY IS LOWERED TO PERHAPS A

GENEROUS 50 KT. ALTHOUGH BERTHA IS FORECAST TO MOVE OVER SLIGHTLY

WARMER WATERS TODAY...CONTINUED SHEAR SHOULD MEAN LITTLE CHANGE IN

INTENSITY. IN FACT...NO CHANGE IN INTENSITY IS PREDICTED

THROUGHOUT THE FORECAST PERIOD AND THIS IS IN LINE WITH

THE LATEST SHIPS AND LGEM GUIDANCE.

BERTHA IS STILL MOVING SOUTHEASTWARD WITH AN INITIAL MOTION ESTIMATE

OF 140/9. WATER VAPOR IMAGERY INDICATES THAT THE UPPER-LEVEL LOW

IS BEGINNING TO MOVE NORTHWARD AND BERTHA SHOULD TURN EASTWARD

AROUND THE SOUTHWESTERN PERIPHERY OF THE LOW DURING THE NEXT 6-12

HOURS. THEREAFTER....BERTHA SHOULD GRADUALLY ACCELERATE

NORTHEASTWARD. THE NEW FORECAST IS ADJUSTED A LITTLE SOUTH OF THE

PREVIOUS TRACK DURING THE FIRST 24 HOURS...OTHERWISE IT IS VERY

SIMILAR TO THE PREVIOUS ADVISORY. BERTHA SHOULD BECOME

EXTRATROPICAL IN 3-4 DAYS AND COULD GET ABSORBED BY A LARGER

EXTRATROPICAL LOW IN ABOUT 5 DAYS.

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INITIAL 17/0900Z 34.5N 59.2W 50 KT

12HR VT 17/1800Z 34.0N 58.0W 45 KT

24HR VT 18/0600Z 34.5N 55.7W 45 KT

36HR VT 18/1800Z 36.3N 53.2W 45 KT

48HR VT 19/0600Z 38.4N 50.2W 45 KT

72HR VT 20/0600Z 43.1N 44.3W 45 KT...BECOMING EXTRATROPICAL

96HR VT 21/0600Z 49.0N 37.0W 45 KT...EXTRATROPICAL

120HR VT 22/0600Z 56.0N 27.5W 45 KT...EXTRATROPICAL

$$

FORECASTER BROWN

• 4 weeks later...

According to Hype-uWeather I should stock-up on plywood and canned goods!

http://www.accuweather.com/mt-news-blogs.asp?partner=accuweather&blog=Meteomadness&pgurl=/mtweb/content/Meteomadness/archives/2008/08/east_coast_big_daddy_hurricane_possible_next_week.asp

The GFS takes the storm into the Southeast around Charleston late in the week. The DGEX takes the storm off the coast, but slams eastern New England Friday.

Archived