ABC 7's Eyewitness News @ 4:30 AM starting 6/2

CalItalian2

Here we go with the early, early morning edition. But I'm happy they're the first station in the market to start it. This could mean America This Morning could be aired as early as 4am/ET in the future for all their stations that's going to end up starting their 4:30am newscast.

EDIT: I just viewed the lineup on their website. They're moving their 11pm rebroadcast from 4am to 1:37am. ATM moves a half-hour earlier to 4am and morning news is at 4:30am.

Here we go with the early, early morning edition. But I'm happy they're the first station in the market to start it. This could mean America This Morning could be aired as early as 4am/ET in the future for all their stations that's going to end up starting their 4:30am newscast.

EDIT: I just viewed the lineup on their website. They're moving their 11pm rebroadcast from 4am to 1:37am. ATM moves a half-hour earlier to 4am and morning news is at 4:30am.

It's not that difficult for west coast stations to tape-delay the early morning network newscasts. It would also be easy enough to simply pre-empt it as was done in Boston in the mid '90s when local morning newscasts expanded to 5am. Beginning with WBZ in 1994, "NBC News at Sunrise" and later "CBS Morning News" were removed from the schedule until the feed was changed to 4:30am.

It's not that difficult for west coast stations to tape-delay the early morning network newscasts. It would also be easy enough to simply pre-empt it as was done in Boston in the mid '90s when local morning newscasts expanded to 5am. Beginning with WBZ in 1994, "NBC News at Sunrise" and later "CBS Morning News" were removed from the schedule until the feed was changed to 4:30am.

Oh yeah, I absolutely know what you're saying. Many stations west of the Eastern time zone could now air a different feed of the National News before they air their local 4:30am news if they please, since the programs are currently aired live at 4:30am/ET.

I still remember back in the day, when the morning news was on at 6:30am, then a full hour at 6am. I guess the main factor in these early morning shows is that many folks are leaving their cribs before 5am and either working earlier or talking longer commutes to their jobs.

Ahh...the quest to beat cable, more morning news.

But Please Please Please God, do not get rid or cut World News Now as I Tivo that show and watch it in the mornings. Besides, if things get more competitive, we might even get Eyewitness News This Morning Starting at 2am, 3am. If they cancel soaps, we might even get Eyewitness News All day. But then again, I am over-exagerating, facetious, and just plain piss-drunk.

By the way, the Bay Area's KRON 4 already has a 4am newscast, and has had it for some time, so this is not necessarily new, but good luck to the morning crew who is now forced to work even harder than before and get up earlier, sheesh.

Yeah 4am and lasting all.......the way.......to 10am. Talk about 6 hours of morning news.

As for WNN, as long as you can see three full half-hour blocks (2:30-4am), you're straight.

Well, they must have the funds to cough up to Kathy and Philip, who are now required to wake up 2:30 instead of 3:00 now to prepare a newscast... Anyway typically the morning news is usually the easiest newscast to prepare for because most of the news is from the previous day or perhaps there is more detail about the same story, that developed on the previous day or perhaps news from other international countries. But nonetheless they got to wake up fairly early. I don't think WABC here in New York could do that being that America This Morning is Live...

Well, here in Nashville, the big 3 air local news before 5am. WKRN-2 and WSMV-4 start at 4am while WTVF-5 begins at 4:30. WZTV-17, the Sinclair Fox, just premiered a 5-7am news program to compliment their 7-9am "TN Mornings" program (previously, I think it aired 6 - 8 am). I guess there must be enough ad revenue that early in the morning.

I can't imagine what time morning anchor Neil Orne arrives at the station, but he's always there before me (I get there at 2am for my internship) and stays through the GMA cut-ins.

But I think you are right, with people having earlier (and longer) commutes, 4am newscasts make sense. NPR did a report several months ago on a guy in LA who left his house at 330am to go to work.

It should be nice to have a 4:30 am newscast in LA. It's gonna be tough for the staff and the anchors to get up that early, though. I like KABC and I think this will work out very well.

Starting at 4:30 a.m. or not, I don't really care because I'm never up that early to even watch the tail end of the 6 a.m. show! :-D

Doesn't this also mean the reporters have to wake up even earlier now?

Depends on how many reporters they have assigned for the morning show. Here in Nashville, the morning show reporter doesn't usually go live until during the 5am hour. I've seen everyone else comes in around 9am for the morning editorial meeting.

Well, here in Nashville, the big 3 air local news before 5am. WKRN-2 and WSMV-4 start at 4am while WTVF-5 begins at 4:30. WZTV-17, the Sinclair Fox, just premiered a 5-7am news program to compliment their 7-9am "TN Mornings" program (previously, I think it aired 6 - 8 am). I guess there must be enough ad revenue that early in the morning.

But I think you are right, with people having earlier (and longer) commutes, 4am newscasts make sense. NPR did a report several months ago on a guy in LA who left his house at 330am to go to work.

Yeah, that's the main factor to have an earlier morning newscast. Many folks leave the house, some way before 5am to take those longer commutes. That's why WMC, WTVF, WSMV, WKRN, WMAQ, KRON, KGW and now KABC (I know I left out a couple of others) is starting the early morning craze. The move to 5:30am in the mid-90s wasn't too crucial. So didn't the move to 5am in the late 90s. But I don't think 4:30am will be the true norm for all the news stations, except for the stations in the bigger markets.

I wished WLS would've had the 4:30am show first and not WMAQ. Damn!

I think that a 4:30 am show is a good move for KABC, considering the commutes people have to make everyday. Now, about network morning shows in that time slot, I see no problem in the stations pushing them up a half hour earlier. KNSD, the NBC O&O station in San Diego is doing something interesting (and has been doing it since Sept. 07), they have what I call an early morning hybrid newscast. The hybrid part is that the newscast is in Spanish(airing on an English speaking channel), and the newscast is on at 4am. I still think that it's sort of in testing mode because it has been on the air for less than a year and the station is trying to see if it's worth keeping. If for some reason it does not work, then maybe KNSD might just start their morning newscast earlier. To get back on topic, I think that starting newscast at 4 or 4:30 will become more of a norm in the next few years and it's a good move for local stations to make.

By making this move, KABC talent won't be as wasted as they currently are. Kathy Vara, for one, only anchors two hours of news everyday and whatever updates for online and GMA they happen to pick for her. She's great at what she does, but she hardly ever fills-in (with the one exception perhaps at 11 am) or reports on other newscasts.

By making this move, KABC talent won't be as wasted as they currently are. Kathy Vara, for one, only anchors two hours of news everyday and whatever updates for online and GMA they happen to pick for her. She's great at what she does, but she hardly ever fills-in (with the one exception perhaps at 11 am) or reports on other newscasts.

I read that the reason Kathy only anchors the morning news is because she has lupus (which you can see on her bio). Anyways, she was offered the 11am show but she couldn't stay for that long (KABC wanted someone who could stay until the next newscast to cover any breaking news that could happen during that time). So, ultimately KABC stuck with Jovana Lara at 11am. I'm surprised that they didn't promote Micah Ohlman to take over David Ono's old spot.

I read that the reason Kathy only anchors the morning news is because she has lupus (which you can see on her bio). Anyways' date=' she was offered the 11am show but she couldn't stay for that long (KABC wanted someone who could stay until the next newscast to cover any breaking news that could happen during that time). So, ultimately KABC stuck with Jovana Lara at 11am. I'm surprised that they didn't promote Micah Ohlman to take over David Ono's old spot.[/quote']

I knew that she had lupus, but I think she is strong enough woman to do it. I don't understand the disease well, but I would imagine if she can fill-in as she does now, she can probably pull it off.

Phillip does a good job at 11 am. Keeps a good reporter in Micah out in the field.

Kathy has Lupus....how does she manage to survive, and get up so early in the morning. Traditionally, when people battle disease, they don't work. Dallas Raines had a bout with cancer at one point but recovered. Go Kathy Go!

• 2 weeks later...
Kathy has Lupus....how does she manage to survive, and get up so early in the morning. Traditionally, when people battle disease, they don't work. Dallas Raines had a bout with cancer at one point but recovered. Go Kathy Go!

Wow, never knew that, that's horrible.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there really an audience to justify doing a newscast at 4:30am and especially 4:00am? or is it just news stations wanting to outdo each other by providing more news coverage than the other?

When stations in the country began expanding local morning newscasts to the 5am hour I could see it in the larger markets moreso than the smaller ones. But today it seems even the smallest markets have morning newscasts from 5:00-7:00am no matter what. Not many stations just do a 6am newscast.

KRON has become the lowest rated station in the Bay Area so I wouldn't think providing more local news from 4am-10am even matters for them.

Archived