Australian TV News

fox2

Hey WWU! :) I think for most of the '80s, stations did their own late news - don't quote me on that, though! ;) Then, by the end of the decade and into the '90s, it was networked updates or full national 'late shows' around 10:30 ("Coast to Coast" and later "The World Tonight" on Nine; "Newsworld" and then "Tonight Live with Steve Vizard" on Seven; and Ten's Late News.)

Local in '87 (GTV 9 Melbourne)

National in 1990:

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The weird and wacky world of Ten's morning show 'Studio 10'! ;)

And a notable interview with Mark Steyn. Note that of the panel, only Natarsha and Jess actually disagree with Mark.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Seven is launching a dedicated Gold Coast newscast tomorrow, following in the footsteps of Nine. Here's a look at how Seven Brisbane (BTQ7) has covered the Gold Coast over the decades:

In response to Seven's move, Nine's Gold Coast newscast is getting a new look and a new co-anchor on Monday. Here's a promo:

Nice promo .

750 thousand people in the region...looks much larger.

Meanwhile, Seven has updated its graphics. Here's tonight's news from BTQ7 in Brisbane:

...and in the recent tradition of Seven News, only a few elements have been updated. The supers still need updating (at the very least, the font on them should be changed for consistency anyway), as do the Opening Titlecard graphics which in some local markets still contain footage that dates back to the 2011 graphics package!

Exactly why these changes couldn't have been made in February with the theme music update or last Monday night to coincide with the Gold Coast bulletin launching, I have no idea.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

While most of Media Spy has approved of the new look Nine News Perth (which is yet to make it to other markets), I personally think it's a bit too much. Also very Ten Eyewitness News-esque with the globe/pulsating rings animation too.

I think I'd prefer a more simplified refresh of the sets and graphics for Nine News Sydney, when the time comes.

Is this going out in their HD channel?

Yep, Nine News Perth is a full HD production since moving to the new studios.

The Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide bulletins have been broadcast in HD since Nine (re)launched a HD simulcast of their main channel on November 26 last year. Nine's Brisbane, Gold Coast, Darwin and NBN (since July 1, the Northern NSW/Gold Coast regional Nine station still uses the NBN News brand, while the station is otherwise now branded as Channel Nine) bulletins are still SD widescreen productions for the time being.

In the markets that do get HD news from Nine, all the studio camera footage (live or pre-recorded, including News Updates), graphics and most packaged reports are seen in full HD. Here in Sydney at least, most of the live crosses on Nine News are also in HD and so too are the promos.

To compare this to the other commercial networks, Ten Eyewitness News: First At Five only has their Sydney/national news bulletins (and only live studio cameras/graphics at that) in HD. Seven News is seen mostly in SD only thanks to the ridiculous 7HD/7mateHD split (different markets getting a different channel from Seven in HD, due to sports coverage) but from what I saw when we had a full simulcast of Seven's main channel running for the Rio Olympics, HD on Seven News Sydney is more or less on par with what Ten Sydney does in HD for their news aside from the addition of promos in HD which Ten don't do.

• 3 weeks later...

Ten Eyewitness News Sydney 5pm promo with Sandra Sully

Hugh Riminton discusses Iraq, Somalia, Afghanistan and more:

[MEDIA=twitter]784311638551736320[/MEDIA]

Melbourne - Stephen Quartermain

[MEDIA=twitter]784313907665973248[/MEDIA]

..and Candice Wyatt

[MEDIA=twitter]784314490170974210[/MEDIA]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Nine News Sydney launched their new set tonight, coinciding with the 2017 return of lead presenter Peter Overton:

The set itself is virtually identical to what Nine is using in Perth and I think Sydney's presenters flew over there late last year to film some bits for the promos which aired in the lead-up to tonight as well. All the graphics in that clip have been used since October 9 last year, with the exception of the Opening Headline graphics which were used for the first time tonight and are Sydney-only at this stage.

Archived