Australian TV News

fox2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I like that -- a lot. I like how the graphics are mostly flat (TEGNA-ish) but give a little bit of depth (much like KMOV). The desk does the same thing. It pulls you in one direction, but says "hey, hold up a sec, I got more to me than what you think." 

The new set for 10 News First Sydney is a much needed improvement, with the previous set's core elements having floated around in some form or another for about seven or eight years (so pretty much the oldest in the market, possibly even lasted longer than Nine's 2009-17 set) with several modifications during that time. I believe the old desk was originally built for the ultimately shortlived Ten Evening News in 2011, while the three plasmas had been in use since at least late 2012 IIRC. Also since Studio 10 and other programs uses the same studio space at Pyrmont as the news these days, something with a bit more versatility was needed.

Still hoping to see more elements of the bulletin airing in native HD (I know, it's absolutely embarrassing just how behind Australian TV is in HD news services and major channels in HD generally, but that's another story) before overly long though! Right now 10 News First is ahead of the ABC's entirely SD 7pm bulletin for NSW but are well behind Seven & especially Nine on the HD front...although sadly, Sydney is actually one of the better markets in this regard!

I have always been a fan of 10 News in Australia and the atrium setup they have in Sydney--and while I long miss the working newsroom that setup afforded, I don't think there's a better set on television right now than what Sydney just got. Anywhere.

What really sets is apart is that they're committed to using the main video wall for all kinds of stand-up presentation. They've committed to a level of interactivity that you can't say for nearly any video wall sets in the US, local or national.

It helps that it's so versatile, too.

7 hours ago, WWUpdate said:

With a new set, here's the local news for the North Coast region of New South Wales from Prime7, a Seven affiliate

That's more of a refreshed set than a completely new one though.

Here's a few images of the set I captured in March 2017 (note that the desk & weather screen remains the same, while at least two of the three presenters are no longer at Prime7) while on a trip in the viewing area:

Prime7 Local News NSW North Coast - Set Shots (7.3.2017).jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ABC News New South Wales will soon be launching a new set, after using their previous one for five years:

No word yet on whether or not they're going HD, with ABC News being the last local TV news service in Sydney to be produced entirely in widescreen SD.

• 2 weeks later...

The new ABC News NSW set will be launching on Sunday night. In the meantime, ABC Sydney has posted a clip to social media showing a brief preview of the new set with Juanita Phillips.

Looks pretty good judging by that preview, but of course my final verdict will be reserved until we see it in action! :)

...and with the debut of the new ABC News NSW set, here's some snapshots of it:

880785529_ABCNewsSundayNSW-SetShots(12.5.2019)1.thumb.jpg.79c10d3e8318e85691f7037e3870a6e5.jpg

1045267805_ABCNewsSundayNSW-SetShots(12.5.2019)2.thumb.jpg.d9e39f53a1abf97c437c7345f57e51b0.jpg610454644_ABCNewsSundayNSW-SetShots(12.5.2019)3.thumb.jpg.4ed3b3e069a4871295ad572140297b40.jpg

While I personally think the new set looks good overall (especially for the variety of camera angles which had been missing in recent months), the still entirely SD production doesn't really do it justice. Also, the lighting could be improved a bit IMO.

TEN Eyewitness News Sydney 6:00 open on the night of Gulf War 1 in 1991. Prime Minister Bob Hawke - who died today - announces Australia's involvement in the war. Hawke is remembered as Australia’s most popular Prime Minister, the ‘lovable rogue’ who won four consecutive federal elections, and was described even by political rivals as Australia’s greatest Labor Prime Minister.

And his most famous line - said after Australia famously took the America’s Cup in 1983:

10 News First

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, WFTV Channel 9 said:

I've got a potpourri of Australian TV recordings that I have on YouTube from tapes I recently bought (and more to come). I mainly have recordings from 7 and 9 in Perth.

Just so you know, that last clip from Channel Nine Perth (with the Saturday night News Closer & Lineup/ID) is most likely to be from January 27, 2007.

• 3 months later...

Archived