Australian TV News

fox2

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

A bit of TV ratings news from my home market - Nine News is #1 in Sydney for their 8th year in a row:

https://tvtonight.com.au/2018/07/nine-news-claims-2018-title-in-sydney.html

Seven News have won 21 weeks and the 2018 ratings year in the Adelaide & Perth markets, but no press releases were issued by them for those victories (as far as I can tell anyway).

Nine have currently won most weeks of the 2018 ratings year in Melbourne so far, but it won't be until (at least) Early August before we know a winner in that market. The Brisbane/South East Queensland market is currently very neck and neck between Seven and Nine, there won't be a known winner there until at least sometime in September.

A team like that should give Ten a victory in Melbourne... except Nine has Peter Hitchener who took over for Brian Naylor, two legendary guys. Unfortunately, its what has kept Nine #1 there.

Although it does have to be said that Seven News did win the ratings in Melbourne from 2007-11ish when Nine was performing really badly nationwide. But aside from that, Peter Hitchener has been a ratings winner for most of the 20 years he's been reading the news on Nine Melbourne while Brian Naylor (RIP) was also a very popular newsreader for the same station in the market before then.

The Sydney market is probably a bit more competitive historically (Ian Ross won five years for Seven, while Roger Climpson had some moderate success against Brian Henderson around 25 years ago) and currently, but otherwise mostly loyal to Nine. Somehow I can imagine Nine's current main Sydney news/sports combination of Peter Overton & Cameron Williams being on the air for another ten years, if not twenty.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Yeah, Southern Cross News Tasmania was supposed to become Seven News Tasmania in July but because the network didn't like that, the local affiliate had to do a compromise.

In other news, former Seven newsreader of two decades Chris Bath will be presenting the weekend edtions of 10 News First in 2019, while continuing to host "Evenings" on ABC Local Radio stations in New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory. Needless to say, Media Spy has been whipped into a frenzy over the news of a popular anchor returning to TV news on a regular basis. Since leaving Seven News Sydney in mid-2015, Bath's appearances on Australian TV have mainly been restricted to fill-in positions (perhaps most notably during 2017, ABC News NSW & The Sunday Project) and more recently, being the main star of the ABC's 2018 Invictus Games coverage when that event was held in Sydney during October.

One suggestion made there was that Bathie might make a great presenter of 2019 Federal Election Coverage (if 10 News First does more than just updates), but I personally still think Ten would be much more likely to build on Lisa Wilkinson's experience of presenting election coverage for Nine in the past by making her the main star of any 10 News First coverage.

Why didn't the network like Seven News Tasmania 

I prefer 7 Nightly News anyway. Has a nice ring to it - especially as Tasmania's one (commercial) nightly news show.

And for something completely different:

• 3 weeks later...

The moment Australia welcomes in 2019, followed by twelve minutes of one of the largest fireworks shows I've ever seen on TV:

Shame the on-screen graphics were up for the whole time, though.

Archived