New graphics for WABC on at 6pm

IceManNYR

If you want familiar check out FOX. Not only do the O&O and some other FOX stations use the same graphics package but some stations are using the same studio layout.

Yeah. When I was vacationing in Washington DC the grapics and studio were identical to FOX 5 in NY.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The current GM of WABC was the GM of WPVI when they got their shiny Giant Octopus package (and subsequent HD update), so I was expecting whatever new graphics WABC got would be more akin to WPVI than WLS or KABC.

Which is the problem. It's TOO familiar. The look seems like it's trying to ape both WPVI and WLS simultaneously (the Live bug is clearly inspired by WLS' current look, and the bug seems to have come from WLS' 2001 stuff) but never really quite meshes into a whole. It's not good, not bad, but falls into the same mess of utter predictability that seems to plague seemingly every redesign nowadays.

News graphics are officially in a rut. I long for stations that try to be adventurous with their looks like WBZ.

WBZ is adventurous with their graphics, I'll say that. The only problem that I find with them is that they're too much like a morning show. I liked it better when they used to call themselves CBS 4.

When you think of ABC 7, you think blue. Blue studio, the old graphics were ALL blue, and the logo is blue-ish. The new graphics now include more red, and I like to see that they are expanding from being "America's BLUE Channel" lol.

• 2 weeks later...

KCNC has adopted a variation of the WBZ lower 3rds They look sharp I wished KCBS/KCAL had adopted that instead. Oh well! By btw I was expecting a music update for WABC to go with the new graphics package( a version of KTRK's Eyewitness News theme update with WABC signature which would have worked the new open.) I love the awesome new package for channel seven. KABC's is nice and new.

Revisiting my comments...

I was waiting for someone to bring up Fox. Yes, the O&O look is standardized to quite a large degree... but you know what? I actually kinda like that. I've always liked the overall packaging (the graphics, music, and design) because it went outside the insular designs of local news and into cable news. Mostly because it has a PURPOSE behind it - not just to save money, but to tie the individual stations into the larger Fox News brand.

And it's standardized done right. I'm stuck with WCAU, which still has elements of their last two packages prominently featured on their set and was using novocom for teases as of a few weeks ago. Their custom package has never worked with NBC's standardized stuff and the whole package is just painful to look at. If you're going to standardize, go whole hog.

As for WBZ... WBZ does things that I don't think I've seen any local station ever do. "Tabs" of information pop above the bug during stories. The over the shoulder graphic has given way to "middle of arm" graphic. There's room for variation for stories as far as the full screens go but never anything that's distracting or sticks out sorely. It's simple, yes, but graceful; elegant.

KCNC's version is a poor relative of WBZ. They got the lower thirds, yes, but they didn't get the whole package. They didn't get the elegant simplicity of it, which is admittedly not something that can be easily copied.

What pains me most, though, are the stations that are launching with the same Giant Octopus package, maybe altered in color. The Media General stations, KTVT, I think the same stuff is used at Gannett... GO does, or did, good work, but everything they seem to be doing nowadays is warmed over crap with a different logo pasted in. No originality, creativity, or thought - just laziness.

I think what bugs me most is that it's more of a symptom of how homogenized local news is getting.

FOX typically has more stringent requirements for their affiliates. You'll remember when all stations had the horizontal FOX# logo and had to be known as FOX# (i.e FOX 5). This is FOX's new uniformity requirement. It cuts down on costs and makes it easier to share video (especially though O&Os), since it all looks alike. Stations also share video through FOX News Edge, who uses similar mic cubes for affiliates, but replace the station number with the city (where 5 would be, it says Chicago).

As mentioned above, most viewers have never seen the other stations and wouldn't know if the look was being used at another station.

I've always liked WABC's graphics, even before the change. The way the graphics change at the beginning to introduce the talent with that circle thing reminds me of the way WSOC's graphics are, because WSOC's graphics have a circle thing that swishes across the screen to change from the logo to the news helicopter.

I've always liked WABC's graphics, even before the change. The way the graphics change at the beginning to introduce the talent with that circle thing reminds me of the way WSOC's graphics are, because WSOC's graphics have a circle thing that swishes across the screen to change from the logo to the news helicopter.

So you're in that 65+ demo? lol, I kid-I kid.

Archived