New graphics for WABC on at 6pm

IceManNYR

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wabc has new mic flags. Today on the noon news Marcus Solis was holdin the new mic flag. You can see him holding the new HD mic flag in this report,

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/

Go to story 8/15 and watch the video.

Yep, it looks like they added the HD to it too like its sisters KABC, KGO and I believe WLS. Finally WABC is slowly starting to rise up from the ashes. I do prefer the current one they had though, because it was more original and better than the Boxy generic look, but nonetheless a nice touch...

There was an annoying animation to the right of the bug this morning so it will appear only on HD sets. The slanted "HD" logo (it appears on the bottom of the open for a second) flips to reveal the "7online.com" logo but it seems to rotate too quickly and is a big distraction. Also, unless it's just my TV (which I doubt), the "m" in the website logo is cut off. I'm sure they'll fix that soon.

It's annoying, distracting and needs to be removed:

pdvd049qa8.th.jpgpdvd050fg3.th.jpg

It's annoying, distracting and needs to be removed:

pdvd049qa8.th.jpgpdvd050fg3.th.jpg

It was removed for the Noon and 5PM Broadcasts... I guess they found it to be a bit annoying themselves.

Today at 5 there are some pretty nice new elements, the BREAKING NEWS segment has been updated, there is a new ACCUWEATHER sting intro as well and many new elements were added. All of the reporters now have the new mic flag, which features WABC's Circle 7 followed by an HD. The "Protect Our Children" that was using the older graphic package was updated with the new package today. The "Closed Caption" graphic is really nice. The maps have been updated too. Its like they did a complete overhaul overnight. I give the package an overall 8 out of 10, only reason is because of the large "Live" and the large font they use for the Lower Thirds, and thats pretty much it... We all got what we wanted and now, hopefully the impressive griping about how the number one station in the nation had the ugliest graphics in the nation can stop. The next order of business for them is their set.

The only thing they need now is a live camera plasma backdrop behind the anchor desk that shows the Empire State Building or some other major landmark, like the Brooklyn Bridge that would complete everything, something like what KABC-TV and KGO-TV has behind their anchor desks, this way it wil makes the small set appear larger.

That would be a Rear Projection display, not a plasma. One thing that would make the set much better, however, would be either a duratran that is graphical, or an update to those blue things on the side, like something incorporating the current graphics.

Regarding the HD bug, something like this would look good (if shifted to the left for the 4:3 safe areas):

pdvd049qa8my3.th.jpg

Regarding the HD bug, something like this would look good (if shifted to the left for the 4:3 safe areas):

pdvd049qa8my3.th.jpg

The bug you re-designed looks somehow similar to the current KFSN 30 bug, but the HD tag is a bit lower. It wouldn't look too tacky but I wouldn't recommend it.

As for the new mic flags, it's nice to see them using it the but I would recommended a slight update of the flags they used before, with the incorporation of the new abc bug. I wished they would've kept the old Circle 7 flags they had before, I believe they got rid of those in 2002. Those flags were hardly, if not ever worned out, unlike the ones they just got rid of today.

Yep, it looks like they added the HD to it too like its sisters KABC, KGO and I believe WLS. Finally WABC is slowly starting to rise up from the ashes. I do prefer the current one they had though, because it was more original and better than the Boxy generic look, but nonetheless a nice touch...

KGO doesn't have "HD" displayed on their mic flags. KABC & WLS however does. As a matter of fact, I've seen one of the videos form the Olympic Torch relay in San Francisco several weeks ago on KGO's website. While some reporters had the blue mic flag with the current logo, I think one reporter had a mic with one of their older flags which were a clone to WLS's flag before they went HD.

I watched a few minutes at 11 and didn't see the HD "island" graphic to the right. I think the reason they can't connect them is because the HD/SD invisible line won't work right with the circle logo and then a squared HD logo.

KGO doesn't have "HD" displayed on their mic flags. KABC & WLS however does. As a matter of fact, I've seen one of the videos form the Olympic Torch relay in San Francisco several weeks ago on KGO's website. While some reporters had the blue mic flag with the current logo, I think one reporter had a mic with one of their older flags which were a clone to WLS's flag before they went HD.

KGO-TV has had the current mic flag since they went from the WLS logo (with the fat ABC ball located in the center-left of the circle seven) to the KABC style logo (with the ABC ball hanging off the lower left).

If you ask me, it's the only mic flag of all the ABC O&Os that's clearly visible and identifiable from long distances -- a plain blue piece of plastic with a white seven on the sides -- basic, professional-looking and not ridiculously tacky (see KABC's, and now, WABC's flags). Let's hope they keep this generation of flags around as long as possible.

But assuming that the next generation of KGO-TV mic flags are around the corner: keep the blue cube, keep it simple, perhaps a little smaller (2.5 inches x 2.5 inches), keep those ridiculous "HD" markings off it (because the field remotes are *NOT* in HD).

BTW, WABC's new mic flags are absolutely hideous.

They could do what WLS has for their time/temp bug. They have the HD swooshing out every so ofter, kind of like the HD off to the side for WABC. Just do that with the time/temp bug instead of off to the side. WMAQ did the same thing when they first went HD. They had their gold HD swooshing off to the side in the HD area. Then they made the HD swoosh underneath the peacock in the time/temp bug.

I dont think WABC wanted to do that because havn't they been in HD for awhile now? Why all of a sudden start branding heavily on HD. WNBC just got rid of their HD branding because they have been HD for awhile too?

KGO-TV has had the current mic flag since they went from the WLS logo (with the fat ABC ball located in the center-left of the circle seven) to the KABC style logo (with the ABC ball hanging off the lower left).

If you ask me, it's the only mic flag of all the ABC O&Os that's clearly visible and identifiable from long distances -- a plain blue piece of plastic with a white seven on the sides -- basic, professional-looking and not ridiculously tacky (see KABC's, and now, WABC's flags). Let's hope they keep this generation of flags around as long as possible.

But assuming that the next generation of KGO-TV mic flags are around the corner: keep the blue cube, keep it simple, perhaps a little smaller (2.5 inches x 2.5 inches), keep those ridiculous "HD" markings off it (because the field remotes are *NOT* in HD).

BTW, WABC's new mic flags are absolutely hideous.

Let me first say, if I did misinterpreted anyone and confuse some folks when I stated KGO used the same WLS style mics before they went HD, I was stating that it was WLS's old squared flags before they went in HD, when they adopted a new triangular flag with the HD display.

It's sad to say, but you're right. It's kind of pointless having "HD" displays on their flags. Not everyone in a respective market have an HD set so what's the point?

They could do what WLS has for their time/temp bug. They have the HD swooshing out every so ofter, kind of like the HD off to the side for WABC. Just do that with the time/temp bug instead of off to the side. WMAQ did the same thing when they first went HD. They had their gold HD swooshing off to the side in the HD area. Then they made the HD swoosh underneath the peacock in the time/temp bug.

I dont think WABC wanted to do that because havn't they been in HD for awhile now? Why all of a sudden start branding heavily on HD. WNBC just got rid of their HD branding because they have been HD for awhile too?

I think WABC having an orbited bug would look kind of distracting. I think many people know by now that the newscast is in HD, so why constantly showboat it? Unlike other stations figuring that HD is almost like a worshiper. You know, HD this, HD that, everything in HD. Make's you get tired of the whole HD concept altogether.

WABC "quietly" started their HD newscast within month before WLS did. WNBC was in HD 3 months before WABC.

This might not be new but I noticed the segment from the NASDAQ Market Site is now 16:9 SD.

Yeah, that's nothing really new. When WLS covers business news featuring Joya Dass, the plasma screen (where one of the morning anchors stand next to) shows her in full 16:9.

The current GM of WABC was the GM of WPVI when they got their shiny Giant Octopus package (and subsequent HD update), so I was expecting whatever new graphics WABC got would be more akin to WPVI than WLS or KABC.

Which is the problem. It's TOO familiar. The look seems like it's trying to ape both WPVI and WLS simultaneously (the Live bug is clearly inspired by WLS' current look, and the bug seems to have come from WLS' 2001 stuff) but never really quite meshes into a whole. It's not good, not bad, but falls into the same mess of utter predictability that seems to plague seemingly every redesign nowadays.

News graphics are officially in a rut. I long for stations that try to be adventurous with their looks like WBZ.

The current GM of WABC was the GM of WPVI when they got their shiny Giant Octopus package (and subsequent HD update), so I was expecting whatever new graphics WABC got would be more akin to WPVI than WLS or KABC.

Which is the problem. It's TOO familiar. The look seems like it's trying to ape both WPVI and WLS simultaneously (the Live bug is clearly inspired by WLS' current look, and the bug seems to have come from WLS' 2001 stuff) but never really quite meshes into a whole. It's not good, not bad, but falls into the same mess of utter predictability that seems to plague seemingly every redesign nowadays.

News graphics are officially in a rut. I long for stations that try to be adventurous with their looks like WBZ.

Keep in mind, though, that the average viewer doesn't know what WPVI's graphics look like and to them these graphics are A LOT fancier than the previous package.

Archived