New graphics for WABC on at 6pm

IceManNYR

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The open isn't bad. But come on, when the open introduces the anchors please don't RE-INTRODUCE yourself 15 seconds later. I hate that.

The music is very catchy. One thing of "nostalgia" I like about news is the old "breaking-news" themes.

And yes, it sounds like the announcer didn't enunciate "exclusive" very well...almost sounds like exlusive [sic].

The open isn't bad. But come on, when the open introduces the anchors please don't RE-INTRODUCE yourself 15 seconds later. I hate that.

The music is very catchy. One thing of "nostalgia" I like about news is the old "breaking-news" themes.

And yes, it sounds like the announcer didn't enunciate "exclusive" very well...almost sounds like exlusive [sic].

That open is actually used for newscasts that air after a game or another late edition broadcast, etc... The real open for the 11:00PM would have the 11:00PM shown, and that voice over is actually a bit better pronunciated. It did sound like he said "Excluseeve", Or something like that...

Just a real quick deviation:

I really want to applaud you guys. This has been something you've been anticipating for a while, and when it happened you handled it in a surprisingly subdued and collected way. Maybe it's because it's a holiday weekend and a lot of people are out of town, but only a short couple of months ago this news would have generated new threads here, in the Graphics board (they're new graphics, duh), on the Philadelphia board (they look like WPVI's graphics, duh), in the Breakroom (zOMG, how does WABC's graphics affect your fast food choice?), and in General TV (you know, to discuss whether or not these graphics might be rolled out to WJRT-TV and KFSN).

Instead, an excellent discussion on the New York board only.

Very admirable; consider yourselves Sammy Horn's posters of the week!

This was very long overdue for WABC. I'm happy they went with the new ABC logo on their bug. The lower third font is pretty fat. They can easily resized it using the similar variant of Helvectica. The new time & temp bug is alot cleaner than their old one, which look almost bigger than their logo bug. The opening was pretty good but hearing Charlie Van Dyke's voice is slightly louder than hearing the music on the opening.

I have to agree with most of you. The graphics isn't too stunning or nothing too surprising. I didn't think that Channel 7 wanted to claim the title of having the best graphics in the Tri-State area. But they really made a giant improvement last night. With some slight minor tweaks here and there, including their LIVE bug, their overall graphics would be solid.

Wow, ABC 7 finally has decent graphics. I agree with the consensus here, that it seems a bit on the plain side, but it's definitely a few steps up. I'm not a huge fan of the ticker, though. And what's the deal with the "live" graphic getting even bigger under the text when the lower-third reanimates?

By the way, there's a new book called "Station Break." I thought it had more to do with Eyewitness News in the '80s but I'm reading the description on the website and it looks like it's more about this guy's life after EWN. I'm pretty sure it has a little bit about EWN, though. I met the author on Thursday and he has many interesting stories about his days at Channel 7. Here's the website: http://www.lulu.com/content/663219

The background on the new ticker is not a 100% solid color but I'm guessing it will be if it's used during GMA.

It is also higher up on screen then the old ticker on the right side of the screen cap:

gma052508px5.th.jpg

Wow, very nice... im reminded of WPVI, and yes... WQAD with this package... WPVI because of the lower third.... and WQAD because of that weird "glare" in the open... its faint but its there... heres a pick of that glare from WQAD.... (its on the background)

wqad530pSu09172006_07oneshot.jpg.4b6d30719875fb64c13ba3fd52e347cc.jpg

Just a real quick deviation:

I really want to applaud you guys. This has been something you've been anticipating for a while, and when it happened you handled it in a surprisingly subdued and collected way. Maybe it's because it's a holiday weekend and a lot of people are out of town, but only a short couple of months ago this news would have generated new threads here, in the Graphics board (they're new graphics, duh), on the Philadelphia board (they look like WPVI's graphics, duh), in the Breakroom (zOMG, how does WABC's graphics affect your fast food choice?), and in General TV (you know, to discuss whether or not these graphics might be rolled out to WJRT-TV and KFSN).

Instead, an excellent discussion on the New York board only.

Very admirable; consider yourselves Sammy Horn's posters of the week!

Does this mean we get our registration free for the next year?

Not the absolute best, but a much needed and surprising improvement for WABC...and a thousand times better than any previous package they've had. Finally, the station has top notch graphics to match the top notch product they produce.

[yt]61ZTZq56hYo[/yt]

Eyewitness News Sunday Morning

Anyway, see the lower third that they used for the "American Airpower Museum" that would be the perfect sized font for all of their lower thirds. The Live bug should be the size of the Picture In Picture's, "Live" and the Coming Up we saw in Iceman's capture, can be smaller and perhaps reduced so that the Lower Third appears on top of it and the coming up banner appears as a layer beneath the lower third, makes it look a bit cleaner. If they fix those little nuisances, it would be pretty much a perfect update in my book. They also need to get rid of those old disgusting looking Mic flags too, hopefully they'll do so in start of the Fall 08, TV season, hopefully they'll change their music by then too...

Now If we all recall, it was this very day last year that the fire destroyed their entire studio forcing them to broadcast in their newsroom for roughly 3 weeks.

[yt]K4z29Eqr-i8[/yt]

Now If we all recall, it was this very day last year that the fire destroyed their entire studio forcing them to broadcast in their newsroom for roughly 3 weeks.

[yt]K4z29Eqr-i8[/yt]

My calendar says it's the 25th, not the 27th. :awesome:

In other news, I like the logo. Very Web 2.0

I actually find the little white dot thingy in the L3 kind of annoying. The LIVE bug is also still too big.

Anyway, it is a very good improvement and I like the overall look.

The background on the new ticker is not a 100% solid color but I'm guessing it will be if it's used during GMA.

It is also higher up on screen then the old ticker on the right side of the screen cap:

gma052508px5.th.jpg

It has to be. It won't look right because the ABC news ticker also runs on the bottom which the old WABC ticker blocked. It'll be interesting to see what they do.

Wonder how the new graphics look in HD?

There was an annoying animation to the right of the bug this morning so it will appear only on HD sets. The slanted "HD" logo (it appears on the bottom of the open for a second) flips to reveal the "7online.com" logo but it seems to rotate too quickly and is a big distraction. Also, unless it's just my TV (which I doubt), the "m" in the website logo is cut off. I'm sure they'll fix that soon.

These are an improvement for sure, but what is it going to take for WABC to reduce the size of the graphics? A 10% reduction in size, at least.

They are a toned down version of KTRK's. Not as good as WLS, but lightyears better than KABC's "uber-HD-hype" look.

Archived