New graphics for WABC on at 6pm

IceManNYR

The live bug is still way to big but everything now looks sharp and less flat.

snapshot200805240004pk0.th.jpgsnapshot200805240003mf5.th.jpgsnapshot200805240002nm7.th.jpgsnapshot200805240001wo5.th.jpgsnapshot200805240005ek1.th.jpgsnapshot200805240006ik3.th.jpg

The 2nd to last cap is from the animation used going to break.

More caps to come from Weather and Sports later.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry no video yet, I don't have an HDTV Capture card but I will capture the SD Feed tonight at 11, just to see how it looks in SD form.

It does look better, and is up to par to its sister stations. I think this is a beautiful improvement. This is much better than KABC and perhaps 30% less better than WLS. So WABC is definitely in second place.

The overall font and the "Live" bug are still a bit too big, but the graphics are a 100% improvement from what they had this time yesterday. I don't have an HDTV Tuner Card so I couldn't capture anything. But they sure did a fine job. And the difference is like night and day, graphically.

Music is still unfortunately the same (music is not too bad though, it is a nice tune) they would've been a lot nicer though with a New Generation theme, KGO's theme would've been perfect or perhaps KTRK's theme as well with the WABC signature. And the music is probably not gonna be changed at all anytime soon since they've synched the open and graphics together with the music. Unless they are awaiting a new theme. If I remember correctly, they did the same change back in April 1999 where they had new graphics but kept the same music and ended up changing the music several months later. The set is still obviously the same, anyway as they have just gotten the package, they still have the time to tweak it and change it as they see fit, a significant improvement. I like the overall shininess of it.

The lower thirds and the coming up bumper graphics and etc is not very much exciting at all though and actually can be a big turn off. Although they are animated which is certainly a good thing, they are still very large and should be reduced in size. This is something we've all griped about many times here on this forum. The font is too large, it needs to be a bit more condensed, and reduced to make it look more "clean". Perhaps a font size of what KABC has would be nice. But other than that everything is OK and definitely 100% better than what they had before and it definitely feels like 2008 rather than 1995, lol.

The time bug looks like WLS, the L3's size looks like WPVI and the L3's animations moves like KTRK. That live bug is too big, part of it is cut off on my tv. Need to see more before I pass judgement, so far I like the new graphics.

I like these graphics. But I agree, the live bug is still too large. But they may be pinched with that because shrinking it down my make it harder to read just the way the layout is.

I still do NOT like the weather graphics. The sunshine graphic in the 5-day looks like a bulletin board sun from 30 years ago, like it's been pinned up on the board.

And the overall weather graphics just appear plain. No jazz or excitement coming from them. Who knows, maybe their management isn't about "showing things off," but rather letting the substance just speak for itself.

But an improvement no doubt.

I like these graphics. But I agree, the live bug is still too large. But they may be pinched with that because shrinking it down my make it harder to read just the way the layout is.

I still do NOT like the weather graphics. The sunshine graphic in the 5-day looks like a bulletin board sun from 30 years ago, like it's been pinned up on the board.

And the overall weather graphics just appear plain. No jazz or excitement coming from them. Who knows, maybe their management isn't about "showing things off," but rather letting the substance just speak for itself.

But an improvement no doubt.

I definitely agree with you on the Weather Icons, they definitely need an overhaul, infact the entire weather map they use needs to be overhauled. They need something a bit more modern, like what The Weather Channel uses today, the weather icons are a bit cartoony, and the lack of a Seven Day Forecast is also debatable... But then again the overall graphical update is nice.

Giant Octopus: speading graphic packages around NYC one station at a time. On my list:

#1: WCBS

#2: WPIX

#3: WABC (but with improvements, can become a number 2)

I love the new graphics. I did notice WABC had graphics issues this week.I also agree with NY News. Great but not spectacular. i do think the graphics was done by Giant Octopus. Giant Octopus also designed WRAL ( CBS Raleigh, North Carolina) graphics. The graphics look very similar. WABC and WRAL have the same colors in thier graphics. Go to Giant Octopus website news portfolio and go to WRAL HD package. WABC and WRAL for the most part have the same graphics.

I love the new graphics. I did notice WABC had graphics issues this week.I also agree with NY News. Great but not spectacular. i do think the graphics was done by Giant Octopus. Giant Octopus also designed WRAL ( CBS Raleigh, North Carolina) graphics. The graphics look very similar. WABC and WRAL have the same colors in thier graphics. Go to Giant Octopus website news portfolio and go to WRAL HD package. WABC and WRAL for the most part have the same graphics.

I believe you're correct.. and they're disappointing.

Archived