Another way of looking at it

As KCTU continues its extreme makeover, we're starting to look at music.

But I want to approach this from a different direction. Here's the feeling we want to evoke when people--especially our enemies--look and listen to our open for the first time.

Let's say that instead of trying to find news music, you were looking to try to score a music scene. The bad guys have just created a cataclysmic explosion and buried the heroes alive.

"There's no way he could survive that," the bad guy says to his henchmen. Taunting the people, standing dumbfounding and feeling defeated, he says, "Your hero is dead. Nothing can stop me now! (laughs fiendishly)"

The smoke continues to billow morbidly as the villain's laughter echos through the countryside.

Then... the heroes emerge. The people go wild. The henchmen cower in fear. The villian has a stupified look on his face: how the hell did this happen.

What news package would you use to score that scene?

We're on good terms with the other stations. When I speak of "our enemies", I'm thinking of the Wichita Eagle, Demon Cox and most of the occupants of the 13th floor in City Hall and the fifth floor of the Sedgwick County Courthouse.

I'm not even going to try to decipher what that is supposed to mean, but I think KCTU should try and get a more subdued theme, such as Always Worth Your Time, or Battery, rather than getting something overly agressive, which I think is what you're trying to say.

I could always see KCTU using something like Heartland (V1/2) from 615. They're never ever ever ever ever going to be a serious, respected hard news outlet. Why not focus as a very community-centralized station? As local as local news gets.

What you're describing RJ is foolish.

Will we ever be the #1 station in our market? No... nor would I ever want to be. But once the playing field is leveled (which it will be here in the next 90 days), I believe that within two years we can be #5 in a nine-station market.

As local as local news gets? That's exactly what we're shooting for... 100% local newscasts.

With the entry of AT&T, Cox becomes less of an issue. And if they do here what they did in Kansas City, we'll be fine. I don't think we'll ever be known as a "news station", and that's fine with me. But news needs to be a part of what we do, and if we can be a viewer's second or third choice for news, a place they can go if they missed the other station's news or a place they can go to get more information on an issue--and a place they can go to talk about it with others--then we've fulfilled our mission.

I could always see KCTU using something like Heartland (V1/2) from 615. They're never ever ever ever ever going to be a serious' date=' respected hard news outlet. Why not focus as a very community-centralized station? As local as local news gets.[/quote']

You need something that's speaks "community", like Heartland or something light & soft. You don't want something hard.

Community? As divided as our city has been for the past 17 years, 'taint no such critter in Wichita. What makes KCTU work is our willingness to take on conflict and controversy head-on. Even as a low power, our political coverage is better than the big 4s'. Right now, we're trying to blow as many holes as we can in the city manager selection process. Not exactly "community" now, is it?

That is exactly what community coverage is. I think you need to realize that KCTU is just an LP, and nothing more than that. You shouldn't expect it to have amazing coverage, like you make it seem.

"Amazing coverage?" Not hardly.

However, I take extreme umbrage at the notion that we are "just an LP". If Chairman Martin has his way, within the next three years, there will be no legal distinction between us and the full powers.

The point of starting this thread was to get people's thoughts on what we could do with news music to create an image, once ATT gets here, that will say to our critics, "You did everything you could to kill us. We survived. You failed. Accept the fact that we are here, and treat us with respect."

To those on this board who would discount that, riddle me this: How many Emmy nominations do YOU have?

Id say a good pack (if you had plenty of money that is) is 615's Impact V5.....

http://www.southernmedia-nmsa.com/audioplayer_control.php?version=opens&id=2300&number=4

And another good one and a cheaper one is by Megatrax called Production Music: Headline News....

http://www.southernmedia-nmsa.com/audioplayer_main.php?version=theme&id=1046

Actually, 615 is on the short list. They've been super about working with us, and the price they shot us is actually affordable :)

Impact is definitely under consideration.

That is very good!!! I reall think Impact would be the way...

Archived