Curses! Anchor Sue Simmons slips

CrashPush

I'm not alarmed by the fact that she used the word; I'm more so shocked at how rude she was to her longtime co-anchor. I can understand swearing when you're working in such a high-pressure industry' date=' but such a vicious outburst was uncalled for, and I agree with what someone else said about it reflecting on her true, off-camera character. That's what would concern the viewer the most, I would say.[/quote']

You have no idea what their relationship is like so you can't say that Sue saying that to Chuck is inappropriate. I have friends that if I said that to, it'd be understood. Other friends I would not say that to, because our relationship is different.

If you want to speculate, become a political or sports pundit.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not alarmed by the fact that she used the word; I'm more so shocked at how rude she was to her longtime co-anchor. I can understand swearing when you're working in such a high-pressure industry' date=' but such a vicious outburst was uncalled for, and I agree with what someone else said about it reflecting on her true, off-camera character. That's what would concern the viewer the most, I would say.[/quote']

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with the others Spring...

To further explain what they mean:

She could probably be so close to him that its completely acceptable, kinda like when African Americans friends, call each other "Nigga" and they say "Yo My Nigga!", etc, or when White American friends, call each other "Dude" and say "Dude, You're An Idiot!", the term Dude actually is the root word meaning idiot. And even the word "Gay" commonly used as a pejorative; "That Show is So Gay..." that could be more of an example of our generation's way of speech, lol. And its just the way many friends communicate with each other.

Anyway when you're friends or with someone for over 25 years, you can pretty much say anything to them, and we really didn't see Sue's face either, so she could've been smiling and saying "What The .... Are You Doing?" So it all depends on her facial expression which we did not see. And even without a facial expression she could've been serious, their relationship according to many sources are similar to that as if they were brothers and sisters or siblings...

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with the other''s Spring Rubber To further explain what they mean:

She could probably be so close to him that its completely acceptable, kinda like when the blacks call each other "Nigga" and they say "Yo My Nigga!", etc, or when the whites call each other "Dude", "Dude, You're An Idiot!" or even the word Gay, "That Show is So Gay..." that could be more of an example of our generation's way of speech, lol. Anyway I'm sure a lot of people don't really know what the true meaning of "Dude" actually is, so I'll leave it at that..

[angry black man]Excuse you? Where the hell do you get off by calling people "the" these and "the" those? Secondly most black people find any incarnation of the n word highly offensive coming out anyone's mouth. Now I can't speak for whites or gays (although both are well represented here on the forum). What you said was totally moronic[/angry black man]

Did you really have to spell that out? Or did you just have a severe case of the stupids?

The "severe case of the stupids" is that whole language argument.

I have a feeling Sue was just joking around with Chuck, thinking that they weren't on air. I think her tone sounded as if she was joking. As said, some people just use this word regularly and don't mean harm to anyone.

Richard Huff reports,

WNBC/Ch. 4 anchor Sue Simmons says she "went numb" Monday night after using the F-word during a live news tease.

"I thought we were taping a promo," Simmons said in an e-mail to The News.

She said she saw co-anchor Chuck Scarborough out of the corner of her eye scribbling on his notes and "playfully and crudely" tried to get his attention.

As viewers heard, she said, "What the f- are you doing?"

She then realized they were live on the air. "I went numb," she said. She later apologized on that night's 11 o'clock news, saying it was a "mistake" and she was truly sorry.

"NBC has been very supportive," she added.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2008/05/15/2008-05-15_after_fbomb_sue_simmons_went_numb_viewer.html

Here's why I think WNBC didn't can Sue (besides the obvious fact that doing so would have sparked a decline that would have taken decades for them to recover) is location, location, location. Kobbe is in a station that's in the Bible Belt and generally a more conservative region, whereas Simmons is in the Big Apple, which tends to see itself as somewhat more "cosmopolitian" (liberal?).

As for Chuck, an extra-strong pot of coffee should do the trick.

Kobbe is in a station that's in the Bible Belt and generally a more conservative region' date=' whereas Simmons is in the Big Apple, which tends to see itself as somewhat more "cosmopolitian" (liberal?).[/quote']

The fuck are you talking about?

I didn't mean to be the start of controversy or insinuate anything about the relationship between Chuck and Sue, I'm just saying how the situation would come off without context to the average viewer, and yeah, I know what it's like to be close to someone so that you can say absolutely anything to them and how people can say some of the things you say in public the wrong way. It can actually be quite fun sometimes; of course, things tend to be a bit different when you're in the media, and you're under the scrutiny of the public.

Wow, Vlad. Wow.

"the blacks"? "the whites"? "the gays"?

Would you be happy if I made fun of "the Hispanics"?

And srsly, white folks (or "the whites") aren't the only ones who use the word "dude".

Eric is right, that was incredibly moronic Vlad.

Well Eric and Chris, to be honest I wasn't actually making fun of anyone, I'm just stating what I see and observe in the everyday life as a college student. Its a common stereotype. If anyone came across as what I said being offensive, I do apologize. I honestly did not mean to upset anyone or anything like that, what I posted was simply all about friendship and social ties, and how different ethnic groups communicate amongst one another as friends. And, to clarify things, I didn't really say anything against homosexuality in that post Chris, What I mentioned was how a lot of us today, use the word "Gay" as a pejorative, to describe things. I learned about all of this in my sociology class, didn't mean to offend anyone.

Anyway as this incident happened quite a while ago, I honestly don't see why its still in discussion. I also think it's due time to lock this thread before it gets out of hand, most people curse, and she didn't know she was on the air, so she said what she said, and thought it was being taped.

Times are tough at the station so its understandable why their employees would be a bit aggravated. They're friends, they curse at each other and bicker, they've been on that chair for over 25 years so I don't understand why it's so hard for people to understand that.

Well Eric and Chris, to be honest I wasn't actually making fun of anyone, I'm just stating what I see and observe in the everyday life as a college student. Its a common stereotype. If anyone came across as what I said being offensive, I do apologize. I honestly did not mean to upset anyone or anything like that, what I posted was simply all about friendship and social ties, and how different ethnic groups communicate amongst one another as friends. And, to clarify things, I didn't really say anything against homosexuality in that post Chris, What I mentioned was how a lot of us today, use the word "Gay" as a pejorative, to describe things. I learned about all of this in my sociology class, didn't mean to offend anyone.

Anyway as this incident happened quite a while ago, I honestly don't see why its still in discussion. I also think it's due time to lock this thread before it gets out of hand, most people curse, and she didn't know she was on the air, so she said what she said, and thought it was being taped.

Times are tough at the station so its understandable why their employees would be a bit aggravated. They're friends, they curse at each other and bicker, they've been on that chair for over 25 years so I don't understand why it's so hard for people to understand that.

All understood but you just don't go around calling different ethnic groups "the these" and "the those" like they are mere objects and you're better than them. You're jsut asking for trouble there.

All understood but you just don't go around calling different ethnic groups "the these" and "the those" like they are mere objects and you're better than them. You're jsut asking for trouble there.

I agree Eric, and I have high respect for our diversity, so, I really should have thought before making that post, I do see where you're coming from when you mention "these and those", that is quite dehumanizing. So I did modify that thread significantly so that it sounds more formal.

Archived