Curses! Anchor Sue Simmons slips

CrashPush

Curses! Anchor Sue Simmons slips

Sweet Sue Simmons said w-h-a-a-a-t?

The 64-year-old lead female anchor at WNBC-TV shocked thousands of viewers Monday night by shouting the F-word during a promo for the 11 o'clock news.

The usually amiable newswoman revealed a harsher side at 10:26p.m. while doing the promotion live.

Full Story

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

she seemed upset at the end of the 5:00 broadcast. she muttered "change is all something we are trying to get used to" or something along those lines. maybe just a bad day overall.

Eh, so she said the f-word. I say it 15-20 times a day.

Apparently the video was matching the story until it switched with some woman falling off a ship. She may have been yelling at the director/tape operator/etc.

Also must have forgot she was LIVE! Is there a reason WNBC was live for a 10:26 tease? Aren't those generally taped?

From the video, I don't think she was upset about the switch to another video about the cruise ship, b/c that was probably another story tease, to me it was directed at Chuck.

After viewing the video, I also think it was directed to Chuck because he was not paying attention. There must be some good excuse for using the F-bomb.

Well...it is certainly being spun (or assumed) that her outburst was more to do with a technical issue, and not Chuck missing his cue. But it would appear that Chuck was the target of the outburst.

hmmm... after watching it again, it's hard to ay. Chuck seemed totally zoned out, so it might have been directed towards him.

Still, I found it quite funny...

Also must have forgot she was LIVE! Is there a reason WNBC was live for a 10:26 tease? Aren't those generally taped?

That does bring up a good point. They are usually taped. Did they know they were live, or did they think that it was a recording? Management screwing things up?

I can't stop laughing. It's how she said it that was so funny.

HA HA it was funny...everyone in NYC let us know what happens tonight, for those who dont live in NYC.

Maybe they should change their slogan: "NBC4: "WHAT THE **** are you doing?":lol:

"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by a third party."

I wonder if WNBC got it taken down...but it's ok, I just also found it at:

It's also on Break

Was Chuck supposed to read the second half of the update?

I thought most of those previews for 11pm were taped except for the one that runs 10 to 5min before the newscast?

Yes, I believe Chuck was supposed to read the second story in the promo. I think that is why Sue said what she said, because he missed his cue. Usually, most of the promos that air throughout the night are taped, like the 4 second promos, but I don't believe there was a promo 5-10 minutes before the newscast last night due to Medium being on, so that may have been why there was a live promo at 10:26.

I found out more information: http://www.newsday.com/ny-etsimm0514,0,6752896.story

"An industry source confirmed yesterday that Simmons directed the expletive at her longtime co-anchor Chuck Scarborough, seated to her left when the "tease" for the 11 p.m. news aired just after 10:30; viewers couldn't see his reaction because a shot of a cruise ship was on screen when Simmons yelled, "What the -- -- are you doing?" at him."

"Sources also added Tuesday that Simmons had believed the "tease" -- an industry term for a brief cut-in that promotes a later broadcast -- was being taped. Scarborough, who looked distracted during the segment, also appeared as if they were in a rehearsal."

""It was supposed to be a pre-taped piece and wound up live," said one source. "She didn't know it was live and blurted that out." Industry sources say that Scarborough may have missed a cue, prompting Simmons' outburst."

Chuck looked as if he was asleep or something during that video, so I don't blame her for getting angered, but I think she went over the line by saying "Fuck" in Local Television shocking many viewers probably, even if it is pre-taped, there is really no excuse for that especially if you've been on the air for so many years. But anyway we're all human, mistakes happen... I mean what common person does not say that word anyway, lol? Medium is a show that is "viewer discretion" advised so it is geared towards a "mature" audience...

I must add though, Listening to that clip over and over again though feels surreal, lol. Its shocking but yet funny at the same time, very unexpected of her.

I don't think that was really a good move on her behalf especially on a troublesome station that is already laying off and dismissing many of its staff. I'm not saying that they will definitely let her go for that as everyone makes mistakes, but I don't know, but New York is a zero tolerance city especially when millions of people could be watching. Many of us probably know that CBS 2 immediately had dismissed their reporter, Arthur Chi'en back in 2005, when he did the same... So I don't know how NBC 4 will react... Not to mention that she is the highest paid female anchor in the New York Market, and in a station that is already struggling with ratings, and known for its history of budget cutting, I wouldn't be surprised if WNBC management, used that as grounds for her termination...

-Vlad

Archived