First Look: New NBC O&O Graphics

Que

Hate it.

Seriously, I mean: it's nice, but this is the problem with Artworks. Their on-screen appearance is totally evolutionary, not at all revolutionary. The Novocom package was the obvious inspiration for the current package, and the current package is the obvious basis for this future look.

Don't get me wrong; it's a definite improvement, but look at this all in context -- for a good number of the stations that were outfitted with the Novocom look, it was a significant step down for their visual presentation (WCAU a good example). While Artworks did provide an upgrade, it was still a six-steps backward and four-steps forward sort of thing.

Like I said, while I'm underwhelmed, it's nice. What's up with the "carve outs" in the feather though? That just seems like a distraction.

What's up with the "carve outs" in the feather though? That just seems like a distraction.

These are stills from the actual video animation. Apparently the "carve outs" are animated and move back and forth.

These are stills from the actual video animation. Apparently the "carve outs" are animated and move back and forth.

It's much, much, much, much worse than I thought, then.

Anyone in Dallas seen any of these elements yet?

These graphics are to LAish. Wonder if they are going to start creating indvidualized graphics for each of the stations. Instead of creating the same pacakge for them all. WMAQ has gone a lot more Blue lately with additions to Studio 5 and in the tower so I don't know...

The over the shoulder is perhaps the best thing thus far as Todd said, I certainly hope they improve that lower third, they need to either remove that huge peacock feather or perhaps modify it in a way so that it looks better, but it is a nice start though to what seems will be a very nice package.

Anyone in Dallas seen any of these elements yet?

These graphics are to LAish. Wonder if they are going to start creating indvidualized graphics for each of the stations. Instead of creating the same pacakge for them all. WMAQ has gone a lot more Blue lately with additions to Studio 5 and in the tower so I don't know...

KNSD as well did a horrible job with its current O&O Graphics. Never animated its L3's or OTS's and stuck with the Novocom Look. All Yellow for the morning and Blue for its evening newscasts. I want to see how KNSD will pull off with these new graphics when it debuts.

He does those for fun and FTA. I doubt he really works for NBC. The only thing I see in common is the open.

He didn't say he worked for NBC...

He said someone from NBC must've been lurking around the site's Graphics Dept...

Hmm looks like NBC has been hanging out at TVNT Graphics Dept:

For the open

http://clind.simvision.net/uploads/fta/examples/wakeup.png

L3ds

http://clind.simvision.net/uploads/NBC/NBCaffilateshot.png

They are pretty similar actually... Didn't notice that 'til you mentioned it.

Hate it.

Seriously, I mean: it's nice, but this is the problem with Artworks. Their on-screen appearance is totally evolutionary, not at all revolutionary. The Novocom package was the obvious inspiration for the current package, and the current package is the obvious basis for this future look.

Don't get me wrong; it's a definite improvement, but look at this all in context -- for a good number of the stations that were outfitted with the Novocom look, it was a significant step down for their visual presentation (WCAU a good example). While Artworks did provide an upgrade, it was still a six-steps backward and four-steps forward sort of thing.

Like I said, while I'm underwhelmed, it's nice. What's up with the "carve outs" in the feather though? That just seems like a distraction.

I'm actually not seeing the current package in this look at all, aside from the font. If anything, this feels far more like it's based on the MSNBC packaging, adding much needed flash to it. I'm gonna reserve judgments until I see the package, but those open concepts look really nice.

Agreed on the Novocom standardization, though. I came across one of my recordings of WCAU using their 2000 look, and I've always said that THAT is the look that NBC should have standardized. It's colorful, distinct, looks easy as hell to modify and retool for the various stations... yeah, that should have been used. It still looks damn good today.

I'm in the obvious minority here, but I think this is brilliant. It's an evolution, but with enough change that it's still interesting and fresh. In a Web 2.0 world, it's the best possible outcome for NBC.

Really dig the 3D peacock feather. Let's hope its L3 animation is slow and subtle.

Im with Blargh, I thought they look nice, and wish our NBC affilate could use them but they are not an O&O station.

But it will be interesting to see if they change the colors/elements depending on what city the station is in

I like them. The yellow fits with LA and San Diego if it were to go to KNSD after KNBC. Though, I don't really like the lower third. I would like to see how they look in blue. (beside the KXAS promos) I think the blue ones would fit WMAQ. I think the OTS is really sharp. I'm not a big fan of the chunks though (especially in the lower-third).

The text is title safe.

It is, but that keystone element of the whole package isn't (the animated chunky feather).

It'll look horrible in SD, and it'll end up being quite distracting IMO.

Archived