Is SINCRAP the worst broadcaster on Earth?

CharlotteTV

No, non, nein, absolutely not. I'm sure there are broadcasters far worse than Sinclair out there...

I can never understand why Sinclair is so hated. I'm almost certain it has to do with their conservative political views, as opposed to the actual quality of their stations.

I'm not going to pass judgment on anybody's personal politics (I'm conservative, and I know that most of you aren't), but I do wish that people would find criticisms that actually concern the quality of their stations, as opposed to the political attacks from the left that seem to form the foundation for most of the ad hominem assault on Sinclair...

No, non, nein, absolutely not. I'm sure there are broadcasters far worse than Sinclair out there...

I can never understand why Sinclair is so hated. I'm almost certain it has to do with their conservative political views, as opposed to the actual quality of their stations.

I'm not going to pass judgment on anybody's personal politics (I'm conservative, and I know that most of you aren't), but I do wish that people would find criticisms that actually concern the quality of their stations, as opposed to the political attacks from the left that seem to form the foundation for most of the ad hominem assault on Sinclair...

It isn't that, at all. Just ask anyone who loves in a market with a Sinclair station: low-rated, low quality. San Antonio, Milwaukee, Oklahoma City...shoot, St. Louis ABC station KDNL's newscast was so low-rated, the news division went out of business in Fall 2001.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDNL

Local news on KDNL premiered on January 1, 1995. Initially, news was limited to a daily 9 p.m. newscast. When KDNL became an ABC affiliate, the 9 p.m. news moved to 10 p.m. and an additional evening newscast was added. Although ratings were initially good, KDNL was never competitive with KMOV-TV, KSDK or even KTVI. The evening newscast fluctuated between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. and was even cancelled outright for a time. Turnover in the newsroom was very high, and it showed in the ratings.

In the spring of 2001, a transmitter failure left KDNL off the air for a number of days. What little audience there was for KDNL's news switched to other sources and never returned. KDNL finally dropped news altogther on October 12, 2001. To this day, KDNL-TV is one of the very few "big three" affiliates that does not have local news. KDNL is the second-largest (in terms of DMA) major-network affiliate that has no newscasts (only to CBS O&O WWJ in Detroit). Most major network affiliates are contractually obligated to air local news, but KDNL's affiliation agreement does not have such a clause. KDNL now occasionally employs its former news set to offer commentary on sporting events. The station has sufficient funds to cover sports. KDNL has been one of ABC's lowest-rated affiliates in the decade since it joined the network.

We don't criticize Sinclair's politics, or at least I don't. I seriously dislike them because they have a proven track record of being genuinely bad at running/managing professional TV stations.

Guest Broken News

Sinclair is concerned with one thing: money. That's why they tried to cut costs by:

1. Cutting newscasts and news resources (i.e. WTWC, KDNL, WXLV, etc.)

2. Cutting and centralcasting news and hoping viewers won't notice the crapification of their 'local' news, weather, and sports.

3. Lack of upgrading local facilities, leaving all but a handful of stations actually doing decently in the ratings.

While local viewers are going to be p.o.ed when they lose access to Monday's BCS game, American Idol, Desperate Housewives, and to a lesser extent, America's Next Top Model, I doubt many will even notice that "Watch Over Me" and "Wicked, Wicked Ways" are even off their screens. In other words, Sinclair doesn't have that much leverage with it's My Network TV affiliates.

Then again, this only affects one, well okay, two cable companies (Comcast may come to battle in February). If people are really desperate for Desperate Housewives, they've got rabbit ears, DirecTV, and Dish. Heck, even the 'net.

Guest Broken News

Are any of their stations #1 in their respective markets?

WICS/Springfield, IL has always done well in that half of the market, being that they have the only newscast actually based in that city (WAND is in Decatur, while WCIA and Springfield-targeted WCFN are in Champaign). It's semi-satellite, WICD/Champaign, is usually trounced in that half of the market.

WLOS/Asheville, NC also does well in that half of the market.

Same goes for WEAR/Pensacola, FL. Another case of being based in one half of the market compared to the rest of the competition (this time being Mobile).

And of the affected Sinclair markets, that's about it. Historically, all three of the above operations are among the higher rated of the Sinclair stations when it comes to local news.

Some of the other affected areas...not so well. In particular, KGAN/Cedar Rapids, IA has long been the doormat of the market. Long before Sinclair owned it, KGAN was a competitive operation. But that's another story.

I voted yes, but I'm really not sure. It could go either to Sinclair or the Nexstar.

At least Sinclair is passing network HDTV.

Maybe in your market. Its not passed on in St.Louis, one of several reasons they are considered a second rate, poor broadcaster. To see a major network (the big 3) affiliate fill its time with syndicated shows, religious programs, and informercials when not broadcasting network programs is purely a joke in a top 25 market. Its an embarrasment to say the least.

Are any of their stations #1 in their respective markets?

Sinclair has no interest in being a #1 news operation in ANY market. Their only interest is profit.

Being on top means you're devoting alot of resources (i.e. money) to your news gathering. Sinclair hasn't the patience nor the initial investment to make such a move.

Unfortunately... being number 3 or 4 is still profitable. For now...

When they can't urn a profit, they get out (Newscentral, WPGH, KDNL, etc...)

Soon you'll see all but a few news operations in the Sinclair world dry up. The current feud with cable companies should have an adverse effect on ratings... People will be forced to watch other newscasts than WEAR, WLOS, etc. A dagger in the heart of those newsrooms.

BTW - the following Sinclair stations do a good job with news, considering they have NO resources.

Nashville- FOX

Baltimore - FOX

San Antonio - FOX

Asheville - ABC

Sincrap is horrid, and 3 stations here are owned/partially-owned by Sincrap... WPGH (Fox): 90% Sinclair, 10% Cox); WPXI (NBC): (90% Cox, 10% Sinclair), and WPMY (MYTV). Until the other day, I never knew WPGH was 90:10 with Sinclair and Cox, and WPXI 90:10 with Cox and Sinclair.

Sincrap is horrid, and 3 stations here are owned/partially-owned by Sincrap... WPGH (Fox): 90% Sinclair, 10% Cox); WPXI (NBC): (90% Cox, 10% Sinclair), and WPMY (MYTV). Until the other day, I never knew WPGH was 90:10 with Sinclair and Cox, and WPXI 90:10 with Cox and Sinclair.

It's just something stupid on Wikipedia. It's not true.

Sinclair sold KOVR to CBS, and WTXL to Southern Broadcasting Corp. I'm not trying to go off topic. I could see Tribune selling KPLR to Landmark Communications, and Sinclair selling KDNL to Landmark as well... KPLR pick up ABC affiliation, KDNL pick up CW affiliation, and news operations improve. This probably won't be taking place anytime soon though.

I've been hoping for the same. Who is Landmark? Gannett may end up with Tribune - wonder if they would manage a duopoly here or sell to someone. Even if KDNL lost the ABC affiliation, why would they sell the station. They make money through all the local ads, piece of the action in what they sell in informercials too, no local presence or staff - its just a money machine to them, despite what a license to broadcast is supposed to provide.

oh great I sure hope not. Seeing Gannett getting KPLR would be well a disaster, just look at KSDK after gannett took over, anyway I digress. Also you asked about Landmark communications, they own WTVF in Nashville as well as a station in Las vegas, as well they run the weather channel. website is landmarkcom.com

Anyway, KDNL HD is non-existant unless you have OTA, oh wait i forgot they are on dish network now that they have hd locals. but sincrap has destroyed several stations, KDNL and WICS/WICD just to name a few. plus now with this mediacom and comcast thing, which is two of the cable companies in the springfield market. I'm sure that a lot of desprate housewives fans in springfield are now asking why did ABC have to move to WICS instead of keeping it at wand.

No, it doesn't have anything to do with politics as much as you want that to be the case.

The truth is Sinclair has gutted many of its stations news departments in order to ring every last dime out of the stations. WSYX is a perfect example and KNDL an ABC affiliate in St. Louis doesn't even have a newscast.

Sinclair doesn't care about their viewers... WEAR as well as other stations on MediaCom are being pulled... why? Because Sinclair's greed outweighed the public interest.

But let Sinclair continue digging its grave. Whatever the company's political leanings, it will be boneheaded management decisions that ultimately bring Sinclair down.

matt.

Anyone unsure about Sinclair's standing as worst broadcaster ever should view this petition for Iowans for Better Local Television. The petition was filed to challenge the license of KGAN in Cedar Rapids:

http://www.ibltv.org/IBLTVFiles.htm

It will be obvious that politics don't matter at all.

The public does own the airwaves. So what's wrong for the public to address grievances when it comes to the station's who occupy the airwaves? Its funny that the "liberal" media gets slammed every day, but when a "conservative" station gets slammed its boo hoo hoo whaa whaa whaa.

Oh well all I can say is sooo long WEAR, I will miss Sue Straughn... *tear* *sniff*

matt.

I voted yes, but I'm really not sure. It could go either to Sinclair or the Nexstar.

At least Sinclair is passing network HDTV.

Maybe in your market. Its not passed on in St.Louis, one of several reasons they are considered a second rate, poor broadcaster. To see a major network (the big 3) affiliate fill its time with syndicated shows, religious programs, and informercials when not broadcasting network programs is purely a joke in a top 25 market. Its an embarrasment to say the least.

When did KDNL stop passing HD? Last time I checked (last year), they were passing it. In fact, I think almost all of Sinclair's stations are doing HD.

I know that WRLH Fox 35 in Richmond is, as is WXLV ABC45 in Greensboro. I couldn't tell you about WLFL/WRDC/WMYV, the other Sinclair stations I see once in a while, as I haven't done any DXing since the flip. But I know that WLFL as WB22 and WMYV as UPN48 both did HD, and WRDC as UPN28 might have done it near the end as well. It would surprise me if WLFL/WRDC/WMYV were not passing HD.

- Trip

Archived