All That & More Gets the Axe?

WCAUTVNBC10

Most Likely? No my friend, All That And More is DEAD! If they are saying we're taking back 4pm news it's dead. Too bad no one watching NBC 10 SD at any time

Actually, the All That and More format is going to shift to the 5pm hour now.

So they are just going to concede the hour to PVI and TXF?

Well, on paper, that's what it looks like. But think about it. KYW has no 5pm news. I'm sure there will still be a news element in ATAM at 5pm. But at least it's something different, and I've been told the show is going to be retooled a bit to fit in the 5pm block.

Let's face it - at 5pm, WPVI is the top dog. Why try to outdo them right off the bat?

Well, on paper, that's what it looks like. But think about it. KYW has no 5pm news. I'm sure there will still be a news element in ATAM at 5pm. But at least it's something different, and I've been told the show is going to be retooled a bit to fit in the 5pm block.

Let's face it - at 5pm, WPVI is the top dog. Why try to outdo them right off the bat?

You leave me a bit confused...

- You're saying that their strategy is to take ATAM and pit it against two news programs instead of just one? Not even WCAU is this silly.

- And how are they "try[ing] to outdo [WPVI] right off the bat"? They've had a 5PM news offering just as long as WPVI has, and in the 80s the 5:00 hour belonged to 10. What point are you trying to make here, exactly?

Yeah, after I typed it and re-read it it didn't make total sense to me!

Here's what I'm talking about. It makes more sense to put the resources into a solid newscast at 4pm, where you have one competitor and a chance to sharpen your news chops again. Plus, KYW's 4 pulls in numbers that would be abysmal if it were at 6 or 11pm.

As for the ATAM format, if they can retool it into something viable, I think it would provide a better contrast against WPVI. It seems that they're trying to fashion ATAM into the "news you can use" show that the FOX @ 5 newscast was in the initial stages (it's now a much straighter format.)

You're right, 10 did extremely well in the '80s. But without any glaring chinks in 6's armor, I think it's worth the effort to try and do something different.

Yeah, after I typed it and re-read it it didn't make total sense to me!

Here's what I'm talking about. It makes more sense to put the resources into a solid newscast at 4pm, where you have one competitor and a chance to sharpen your news chops again. Plus, KYW's 4 pulls in numbers that would be abysmal if it were at 6 or 11pm.

As for the ATAM format, if they can retool it into something viable, I think it would provide a better contrast against WPVI. It seems that they're trying to fashion ATAM into the "news you can use" show that the FOX @ 5 newscast was in the initial stages (it's now a much straighter format.)

You're right, 10 did extremely well in the '80s. But without any glaring chinks in 6's armor, I think it's worth the effort to try and do something different.

Thanks for clarifying; it's very much appreciated.

Truly, though, ATAM's biggest problem was, is, and will continue to be Oprah. As long as Oprah stays on top at 4 for WPVI, ATAM will still have to deal with it as a very strong lead in to 6's very strong news at 5:00. ATAM didn't stand a chance against Oprah, and Oprah will still hurt ATAM as a lead in to the 5:00 hour.

I agree with you about a straight news show at 4, though. First at Four gave Oprah a decent run when 10 first rolled out the concept in the 90s, IIRC, but 10 conceded the 4:00 news to 3 too easily. I never liked ATAM for the reason solid news would work better for 10 at 4.

I think it's just keeping the ATAM concept that's bugging me. Shit or get off the pot, you know?

I always though ATAM had potential if done right. I like the news you can use format but it needs to have more of a news feel to it than a magazine show. For starters they need to get it out of the 10! Show studio. I've always thought that gave it one strike right out of the chute. If they could possibly build a small set in another studio (they have the room) just for ATAM and gave it a more serious look, then get rid of the pastel graphics, the stupid logo, and get some more traditional music, and then they would have something going.

I always though ATAM had potential if done right. I like the news you can use format but it needs to have more of a news feel to it than a magazine show. For starters they need to get it out of the 10! Show studio. I've always thought that gave it one strike right out of the chute. If they could possibly build a small set in another studio (they have the room) just for ATAM and gave it a more serious look, then get rid of the pastel graphics, the stupid logo, and get some more traditional music, and then they would have something going.

I agree. But I don't think 10 takes things as serious as it's competitors, or should I say current management. It looks like they want to try to be top by just gettin by instead of really getting to it. It shows with this afternoon's coverage of the fallen Philly police officer. 3, 6, 29: break-ins, craws, etc., 10: snowboarding, not even a craw. This is sad and I hope 10 rights it's ship before things get any worse.

• 2 months later...

At first, I didn't really like All That & More. I thought it was stupid for NBC 10 to reformat their 4 PM newscast into an expanded edition of their Consumer Alert and Healthwatch segments. That's what I thought when it first came on December of 2006. Now though, it has grown in me a bit. I like that they moved ATAM to 5 and NBC 10 News @ 4 PM returned. To be honest, I kind of got bored at Live @ 5. I was watching ATAM yesterday and I noticed that it had more news in the program and it wasn't just a extension of NBC 10's Consumer Alert and Healthwatch segments. They kind of bounced back and forth from news to something about recalls to news to something about health.

Archived