"This Week" now in HD

Ntropolis

So, why isn't World News in HD, yet? Seems to me that your flagship broadcast would be in HD, right?

Today was This Week's first day broadcasting from the Newseum, so they probably used that opportunity to upgrade to HD...

World News, Nightline, 20/20, and Primetime go HD the week of September 8 (http://www.tvtechnology.com/pages/s.0082/t.12872.html).

Thanks for the info. The networks are being more cautious than the TV stations are. Of course, ABC News can buy 1080p equipment and downscale to 720p in the control room.

Admittedly, locally no 720p stations (KTVI, KDNL) have newscasts in HD, just the 1080i stations (KSDK, KMOV). KPLR is 1080i, but with ongoing problems at Tribune I'm not seeing the likelihood of HD news at KPLR anytime soon.

Its interesting how they decided to use This Week as one of their first broadcasts for HD rather than ABC World News Tonight, their leading broadcast. If I remember correctly, the Nightline graphics which were created manually with After Effects are actually in High Definition, so I won't expect to see those graphics change by then...

I believe that by 2010, the majority of the channels we watch today will be in HD considering that technology is increasing at an exponential rate, with HD being the new "norm" and default television standard by 2015.

If I remember correctly, the Nightline graphics which were created manually with After Effects are actually in High Definition,

I didn't know there was a program out there that creates graphics for you with the click of a button!!

:ack::lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Update question:

Does your station show "ThisWeek" in HD?

KDNL in St. Louis doesn't. Somebody in Columbus is pillarboxing it. It became obvious that a pillarbox technique was being employed when I saw a Intel commercial (in HD, no less) with text reaching into the 16x9 safe area.

Update question:

KDNL in St. Louis doesn't. Somebody in Columbus is pillarboxing it. It became obvious that a pillarbox technique was being employed when I saw a Intel commercial (in HD, no less) with text reaching into the 16x9 safe area.

WCVB/Boston does. Perhaps KDNL does not carry it live and is unable to record HD off the bird.

• 3 weeks later...
Today was This Week's first day broadcasting from the Newseum, so they probably used that opportunity to upgrade to HD...

World News, Nightline, 20/20, and Primetime go HD the week of September 8 (http://www.tvtechnology.com/pages/s.0082/t.12872.html).

Sweet now John Stossel can "Give me a break" in HD. However I can't wait until I get to see World News Now in HD, knowing the type of show it is, they are bound to have fun with High Definition at 2am, plus lets not forget WORLD NEWS POLKA HD!!!

Update question:

WLOX (Biloxi) does not air ThisWeek in HD either. When they previewed TW during GMA-Sunday the first weekend George was in HD from the new set but everything after that has been SD.

WLOX air TW at 930am CT. Not sure if that is live or an hour later.

WLOX (Biloxi) does not air ThisWeek in HD either. When they previewed TW during GMA-Sunday the first weekend George was in HD from the new set but everything after that has been SD.

WLOX air TW at 930am CT. Not sure if that is live or an hour later.

The live feed for This Week airs at 9am/ET on Sunday Mornings.

Archived