Thoughts On WTAE

newscopter7

Tonight, Sally Wiggin subbed for Wendy Bell on TAE's 5:00 newscast. In my opinion, Sally and Michelle Wright are a much better pair than Wendy and Michelle.

Any other Pittsburghers out there with an opinion on the matter?

Tonight, Sally Wiggin subbed for Wendy Bell on TAE's 5:00 newscast. In my opinion, Sally and Michelle Wright are a much better pair than Wendy and Michelle.

Any other Pittsburghers out there with an opinion on the matter?

Anything is better than Wendy Bell.

Wendy Bell belongs nowhere except on the morning show... and even there I think she's still annoying. I do like how the Kelly and Andrew chemistry turned out, however. I'll admit, I was a bit skeptical of Stockey moving to AMs at first...

Off-topic: When is 4 going HD? I mean, they've had the HD set for months now, and they constantly tease us with their "new," I mean *updated* Hearst graphics on their wall monitors. Man, I really wish they would have their graphics done from Hothaus or GO, etc, and dump the Hearst-Nazi look.

Wendy Bell belongs nowhere except on the morning show... and even there I think she's still annoying. I do like how the Kelly and Andrew chemistry turned out, however. I'll admit, I was a bit skeptical of Stockey moving to AMs at first...

Off-topic: When is 4 going HD? I mean, they've had the HD set for months now, and they constantly tease us with their "new," I mean *updated* Hearst graphics on their wall monitors. Man, I really wish they would have their graphics done from Hothaus or GO, etc, and dump the Hearst-Nazi look.

I agree, she belongs in the mornings. Maybe she could return to be consumer reporter (that was a long time ago!) Arron Saykin (spelling is atrocious there) annoys me. I'm really happy with the chemistry Andrew and Kelly have together, I don't even think I'd want Wendy back in the morning becuase Andrew and Kelly are doing so well together.

While we're dreaming about their graphics, let's have them pick up Gari's version of the H/A theme. I noticed they updated the weather graphics, I'm still waiting for an HD date. It seems like there are a couple promos that are entirely letterboxed. Could those (perhaps) be the first HD-ready promos?

They updated their weather graphics? Shows how much I watch 4 lol... I'll have to catch them tonight at 11.

As far as the letterboxed promos, they've had a few of those for months now... so who knows if they're a hint of a closer-HD date or not.

I did catch the graphics on Weather/Traffic Watch 4... the graphics are nice. I do like the PIT skyline for the 36 hour forecast graphics... and I really like the updated county forecasts... but I hate that weather icon set on the 5 day. Overall, a nice improvement, though.

I've always hated the placement of cities on 4's temp maps... for God's sake, take West Mifflin on there to allow Greensburg to be put in the correct county. Also out of place are Washington (should be moved north significantly), Parkersburg is way out of place, and Beaver.

I've always hated the placement of cities on 4's temp maps... for God's sake, take West Mifflin on there to allow Greensburg to be put in the correct county. Also out of place are Washington (should be moved north significantly), Parkersburg is way out of place, and Beaver.

Yeah really. On the Ohio side of the temp map, Akron is not supposed to be in Stark County!

BTW, I noticed this morning 4's traffic reporter, Melanie Taylor is gone. When did she depart... and who is her replacement (I caught a glimpse at a new traffic guy)?

Also, they've now updated the title banners on the traffic maps just like the ones on the weather maps.

Whoops... I just answered my own question... from her blog:

My Last Day At WTAE

This Friday, March 28th, will be my last day as the morning traffic reporter here. Although, it will be a sad day for me, it will also be exciting for a chapter is re-opening in my life.

I started training in October of 2005 at WTAE and they have been a home for me for the past three years. The bosses, managers, producers, directors, tech crew, stagehands, anchors and reporters, everyone welcomed me and helped me at WTAE.

I'm a radio girl and learning traffic and TV was not an easy task.

I'm proud to have been a part of the number one rated morning newscast in this city for the past three years.

My morning show co-workers are my family and we will remain friends forever. Leaving Kelly, Andrew, Demetrius, Marcie, Ari and Ashley will surely be sad, plus the many friends I've made here at work.

I know they are all happy for me.

I'm returning to B94 (93.7) radio to do mornings with "Buckhead and Bubba." I'm very excited. I'm a fountain of music, entertainment and pop culture knowledge and I am eager to utilize that at B94. The passion I feel for radio and music is a passion I wish everyone felt at one point in their lives about their career choices.

To all my bosses here and at Metro Traffic, I thank you, if you are reading this. Thanks for the confidence in me, opportunity and experience.

To all my traffic watchers (you know who you are) and loyal blog readers I appreciate and care for you! You all have been awesome to me.

I hope you all stay in touch because I know I will.

I will think of you on my daily travel commute.

Happy trails to you...

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/melanietaylorblog/index.html

What's the problem with Channel 4's lighting? Sometimes it's awful. I'm watching the noon newscast right now. It started out with Sally over at their stand-up area and it looked horrible. Now she's sitting at the desk and its better.

Scott Stiller from Metro Traffic is filling in. I've been told the ND interviewed someone whom he spotted behind a reporter during a live shot. He saw the girl, told the reporter to get her contact info, and the rest is history.

Scott Stiller from Metro Traffic is filling in. I've been told the ND interviewed someone whom he spotted behind a reporter during a live shot. He saw the girl, told the reporter to get her contact info, and the rest is history.

Le sigh, that does not surprise me.

Is Quagmire their news director?

quagmire.gif

Archived