WFOR's new theme

Guest cfif

The new theme music seems to be based off their new image campaign.. I'm only going to guess the name of the package is also "The Best Things About Home". You can hear it the song on 615's site under News Music. The new music does fit the new image WFOR is going for now.

Alot of those shots in the sample video on 615's site look way too similar to shots used in a couple of WBBM's "CBS 2 Works For You" anchor/image promos from 2001/2002. I wonder if a former WBBM anchor brought a tape with him when he went down to Florida a few months ago..

I'm really liking it... they need to use more themes though. I think that's one of the very few times I've seen the music composer credited (I've seen it in old KATC and WLKY videos on YT). I think I like News Source better, but this is pretty good.

On the newscaststudio podcast from earlier this week at NAB randy from 615 said this package was going to be something completely different for 615 and be a move in a new direction.

Different, Yes. Good, No. To me, It sounds too clunky for a newscast theme. Sounded like pots and pans being banging together.

See to me it's not a bad piece of music. It's just not a news theme. It would be okay as a morning show theme, but a 6pm theme. Ehhh....

It's like what you get if you add Seize the Day, the WCCO theme, and the theme to Dr. Phil.

It's much too fluffy for the Miami market, that's for sure.

I still personally think WFOR should have gone with Enforcer NG1 which they came close to.. The PM cuts WBBM uses fits that station much more than it fits WBBM. AM Theme/Package #2 from Enforcer NG1 would fit Miami great. Plus, voiceover Brian James sounds perfect with Enforcer NG1.

Well, to me it's not a bad theme to be the first 615 news package in Miami. But it sounds more like a local lifestyle talk show than a newscast. They should've stuck with the 2005 update of News Source Now along with keeping the old OTS/L3 Graphics.

I still personally think WFOR should have gone with Enforcer NG1 which they came close to.. The PM cuts WBBM uses fits that station much more than it fits WBBM. AM Theme/Package #2 from Enforcer NG1 would fit Miami great. Plus, voiceover Brian James sounds perfect with Enforcer NG1.

It would have been nice if 'FOR used Enforcer NG...but, my guess is that the management at the station wanted to go for a different direction when it comes to the presentation of the newscasts. I haven't seen anything like this since the "News That Works For You" campaign back in the mid-90s (mainly 1996-99).

Is it a refreshing pace from what WFOR was doing for the past 8 years? Yes. Although it does sound like the theme from "Dr. Phil," I have to say the music is far much different that that awful "News Source Now" (especially the last updates!)

News Source was good, IMO. Vastly underused package.

In the big markets, yes I would understand that notion. But after watching the news and seeing how WFOR have been using that package for ei8ht count 'em 8 years and it just stuck with the idea of a WSVN knock-off, WFOR needed that fresh makeover (or in the ratings sense, makeunder!! LOL) Besides 'FOR, WBNS used that package, but the NG cuts are just the thing to give the station the much needed new coat of paint.

Archived